PDA

View Full Version : Cleric race debate

Nuggets
02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Dwarf for pure stats: STR, STA, DEX, +5MR/PR

vs.

Dark Elf for looks / clicky snare necklace:
http://wiki.project1999.org/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk

I dont honestly care about DE hide. Clicky snare vs. stats imo. Will stats be a non factor endgame, and clicky still be used endgame? I simply cannot decide!

Danth
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Neither starting stats nor the click necklace will matter in end-game raiding. If Hide doesn't matter to you, pick the race that you think looks better or has the racial bonus that you feel would help you more during the leveling process.

Danth

falkun
02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Hide > all. If that doesn't sway your choice, then you can literally pick anything you want. 200wis is pretty easy and 5MR/PR won't matter when you're rocking resist gear + GRM.

Itap
02-27-2013, 11:06 AM
I first thought you meant an actual race between a dwarf and dark elf. Left thread disappointed

Fawqueue
02-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Human follower of Innorruuk. That gives you access to not only the snare clicky necklace, but also the terror/dread/fright forged quest items from Paineel. With well-rounded starting stats and none of those obnoxious evil race travel restrictions.

Swish
02-28-2013, 01:50 AM
Snare necklace is handy, but you won't use it as often as you think...and I think its 6 ticks(?), with a long recast time, so after 4 ticks you'll have to be ready to extend it if you need to.

Basically, you're not expected to snare anything...you'll likely root/nuke if you're soloing (versus fear kite with pro melee skills), and standing up for ages getting a snare off is time you could be spent medding.

In a small group without a snarer in an area that requires one? How often does that happen? :p

The only time I really used mine consistently on my cleric was duoing spirocs with an enchanter buddy. I'd pull, he'd fear, I'd snare...charmed pet would do the rest. My only job was to heal the pet if it ever got low.

TL;DR - snare necklace is handy but overrated, there's times where the extra STR (dwarf) or conveniences like being able to bank in Freeport/having more vendors available are more handy to you.

ArumTP
02-28-2013, 05:57 AM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=86315

Debate done to death. It comes down to item availability.
Currently its something like Dwarf>High Elf>Dark Elf=Human=Erudite>Halfling>Gnome
Velious Era High Elf>Human>Erudite>Dark Elf>Dwarf>Halfling=Gnome

Velious as I recall everyone gets the same thing. Dwarfs get Brewer's Mesh Cloak, INT caster races get more robes, High elves get Symbol of Tunarian Worship. Correct Deity choice can also result in some great jewelry as well.

pharmakos
02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
like Fawqueue said, human clerics of innoruuk are the only clerics that get both a Snare clicky (http://wiki.project1999.org/Regent_Symbol_of_Innoruuk) and a Fear clicky (http://wiki.project1999.org/index.php/Terror_Forged_Mask)

dwarves get this awesome line of armor: http://wiki.project1999.org/Dwarven_Breastplate_(Enchanted_Imbued)

dark elves get hide

high elves get crazy wisdom

halflings get an exp bonus, hide, and sneak

erudites, high elves, dark elves, and gnomes are a bit of a bummer because of their cruddy starting strength... clerics are gonna be wearing plate armor, be prepared to be encumbered often if you go with one of these three

erudites and dwarves start with 70AGI, meaning you need to waste 5 starting points in AGI or be prepared to take a huge AC hit early on (seems like there's a lot of people that don't know about the AC hit under 75AGI. its actually a pretty huge hit.)

probably the main thing everyone can agree on is that gnomes are the worst cleric race :)

ArumTP
02-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Neck clickies are overrated, the brell one is nifty when it is able to summon beer. Literally nobody uses them. Don't have that be a deciding factor for what race/deity you want to be. I have met several inny humans, and none of them use the clickey. Current end game cleric neck choice gear is black sapphire neck, goblin soul caller, and NoS.

Nuggets
02-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Nice link, ty Arum

Duckforceone
03-02-2013, 08:06 PM
snare necklace is short duration and a really low level snare..

if you think it's a real snare like the ones the druids and rangers get, think again. It's the one necro's start out with, and they can't use it for snaring as it sucks... :D

Nocte
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Hide is totally invaluable. Don't write it off as useless while putting any emphasis on the clicky. I love my snare necklace, but the spell gets resisted a lot on high level mobs, and I keep it just for novelty's sake. Downside to dwarf is that you look like a dwarf.

Ele
03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Hide is totally invaluable.

Sneak is pretty boss as well. Allows access to vendors/quests that would otherwise require faction work to get out of less than indifferent. If only Halflings could wear robes, then they would rule the world.

Duckforceone
03-03-2013, 04:35 AM
i actually rerolled my dwarf cleric, into a halfling cleric... sitting down to hide in peace is just amazing.

I can sit, and if the tank comes in with too many, i can tell him to zone, and i don't have to move. If he dies, i'm close for a rez.

I don't understand why i have never made a healer with hide before.

Nirgon
03-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Erudite for magic per level, CT religion for baws quest rewards.

OR halfling for 5% xp/hide.

fugazi
03-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Erudites look pimp in chain and plate. You'll just need someone to get you out of Toxxulia before you commit suicide.

pharmakos
03-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Erudites look pimp in chain and plate. You'll just need someone to get you out of Toxxulia before you commit suicide.

getting my evil erudite cleric off of odus was easy. the only mob that's KOS between Toxx and the docks is one paladin in the area with the teleport stone near the docks, and he'll only agro you if you run through the wrong side of that area. hug the wall on the opposite side and you're golden.

Polyphemous
04-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Why does snare or fear clicky matter? They don't help you keep a group going, and if you really want to solo so bad play a class that's good at it to start with. I had the snare thing on my shaman, and even soloing I never used it as the time it took to go off was better used to melee/ med for a nuke. And as already noted it was a weak snare that didn't completely stop movement when they ran at low health.

Hide gives a 50/50 shot to turn a 1+ hour CR with chance of a lost camp into a 10 minute rez/ rebuff break. Nothing else helps you do your job as a healer nearly as much.

And it decreases the time you need to afk to take a dump, as the pucker factor is lessened. ;)

Growlers
04-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Why does snare or fear clicky matter? They don't help you keep a group going, and if you really want to solo so bad play a class that's good at it to start with. I had the snare thing on my shaman, and even soloing I never used it as the time it took to go off was better used to melee/ med for a nuke. And as already noted it was a weak snare that didn't completely stop movement when they ran at low health.

Hide gives a 50/50 shot to turn a 1+ hour CR with chance of a lost camp into a 10 minute rez/ rebuff break. Nothing else helps you do your job as a healer nearly as much.

And it decreases the time you need to afk to take a dump, as the pucker factor is lessened. ;)

Not for long, after next patch it looks like racial hide gets nerfed to work as inv. so no longer inv to undead or mobs that see through inv. just a side note, but I still rolled DEF

Synrax
06-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Are CT Eurdites KoS in Cabilis?

Faerie
06-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Clerics have so many good choices for race/deity! My blue cleric is dark elf, and red is gnome. Kinda wish I had a reason to make more, because there are so many great combinations.

Dark elves get hide ofc, which is a very useful skill for a priest without invis capabilities, and snare is pretty cool too I guess. Their culture is really unique and interesting, too; what with it being based around hateful ideals and stuff. The best choice for a cleric of pure evil imo.

Dwarves are ugly, stupid, and just downright terrible.

Erudites get a bonus to mr, which is a big plus for pvp. Going Cazic is a good choice, because Paineel is one of coolest cities in the game and they're totally exclusive. The only clerics that can worship Cazic, Quellious and Prexus, all unique deities. Look really fancy in armor lol.

Gnomes can see through walls! Plus you get to be an intelligent tinker, which is admirable in a priest. Bertox is the obvious choice, because tiny people should always be evil. Can also follow Bristlebane, and the mental image of mischievous gnomes religiously playing tricks on unsuspecting "too talls" makes me smile. Brell is lame, but I guess they can't all be winners.

Everyone loves hobbits! Halflings are the Tolkeinesque little people that party hard and truly appreciate the finer things in life: like pie! Hide and sneak very cool, especially if you use them to RP. The experience bonus doesn't hurt, either. Like the gnomes, they worship Bristlebane!

High elven clerics are of course the true priests of nature. Their cause is a noble one, and they're well aware of it. This race is one of my top choices, because of their sensible and well-intentioned treehugging policies, as well as their fierce hated of the polluting dwarven race. Nature doesn't need protecting or representing (because nature is eternal and incorruptible), and the high elves are wise enough to know this. They preach what they do mostly because they fear the other races will bring about their own demise, in their disrepect of the wilds.

Humans are an interesting choice, because they get fun deity choices. The evil humans are especially noteworthy, because they're seen as traitors by their people and have to preach quietly, in their underground societies. You can't go wrong with any deity selection though, and the Nife followers even get to worship a loving alien from a spaceship. Classic high fantasy, and very human.

So yeah, almost every cleric race is a good pick. If I had to make 3 more clerics, they'd be Cazic erudite, Quellious erudite and Tunare high elf. Yep.

Nirgon
06-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Erudite gets tons of free magic resist, great wisdom (not as good as HE but whatever). CT gets see invis clicky helm (works at lvl 10!), a fear mask better than polished mithril mask and can wear robe of azure sky (like human but ... don't go human pal). My first pick.

Dwarf - high str, high sta, high starting magic, great wisdom. 3rd pick.

High elf - highest wisdom, skinny kid in gym class when it comes to armor.

Halfling - uber wisdom also, great stam, xp bonus (my 2nd pick).

Faerie
06-12-2013, 12:14 PM
jim class

Does racial mr bonus increase as you level?

Synrax
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Erudite gets tons of free magic resist, great wisdom (not as good as HE but whatever). CT gets see invis clicky helm (works at lvl 10!), a fear mask better than polished mithril mask and can wear robe of azure sky (like human but ... don't go human pal). My first pick.

Dwarf - high str, high sta, high starting magic, great wisdom. 3rd pick.

High elf - highest wisdom, skinny kid in gym class when it comes to armor.

Halfling - uber wisdom also, great stam, xp bonus (my 2nd pick).

Awesome. I'm going to start with a CT Erudite Cleric now!

Any tips for the Paineel area? I'm pretty lost so far and there aren't any other people around.

Korisek
06-13-2013, 06:40 AM
Awesome. I'm going to start with a CT Erudite Cleric now!

Any tips for the Paineel area? I'm pretty lost so far and there aren't any other people around.

Most people bug out of Paineel ASAP. The city itself is kind of confusing if you've never been there before, and you are definitely going to need EQAtlas for this.

The beginning area is actually not that bad a place. Lots of mobs in a condensed area means you can hit up a few levels very quickly. Just remember to save space for the Paineel key you'll need to use the Paineel lift.

Vega
06-13-2013, 09:21 AM

I don't believe CT is a diety requirement for those items. Hence:

Human follower of Innorruuk. That gives you access to not only the snare clicky necklace, but also the terror/dread/fright forged quest items from Paineel. With well-rounded starting stats and none of those obnoxious evil race travel restrictions.