PDA

View Full Version : Does charm get annoying?

Arterian
03-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I have never played an enchanter, but I've been considering it lately.

Charm seems like a lot of fun, and quite powerful. I have played a necro since live however, and dealing with a pet that isn't permanent is not something I have much experience with.

For all it's positives, does charm ever become tedious?

Atennu
03-02-2013, 01:19 PM
If it keeps breaking on you yes, it becomes quite a pain and will suck the life out of you.

Swish
03-03-2013, 02:07 AM
Good charisma can limit the "unlucky breaks", aim for 200 or more to keep them at a minimum....otherwise you'll lose a lot of mana recharming.

Also as long as you have a charmed pet, you won't want to AFK if you're hunting solo (unless its an emergency) :D

Sollannix
03-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Enchanters own in general...such an incredibly fun class to play! A good charmed dps pet with 70% haste can almost double your entire groups dps at higher levels. Many mobs are underconned and can do insane damage/tank.

Charisma matters but you only get a small bonus to charm duration...it's much more important to be a lot of levels higher than the mob and to lower the mobs MR with Tishan and Malo(from shammy or mage). I have found that having a Shaman or Mage malo makes more of a difference in charm duration than the 241 charisma i now usually have.

I think you will really enjoy playing a chanter...it's a class where you are 100% engaged at all times, so you have to be quick on your feet. It's awesome for soloing or groups.

Sollannixx Mezzinwitu <Azure Guard>
Your friendly neighborhood crack deala and haste pusha on the corner of 58th.

BurnMage
03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Yes, charm can get annoying in that you can't really afk AT ALL in case of a charm break sometimes. More than once I run to the can or run to grab a beer fully accepting in the 15sec or minute I'm not there pet breaks and creams me and nobody can help in time. Sometimes there is another class that can help manage it for a quick AFK but they're not around all the time. Generally I like always having something to do/manage while playing though.

filthyphil
03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Stick to the same rules you would use as a necro.. Only charm a mob in which you could dispatch easily if needed. Green cons or light blues when you get used to it... The light blues are great because they will lose the fight if left to battle alone, meaning you can let him get very low in the fight, then kill both the charmed pet, and the mob it was fighting.

Bohab
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Charm is just... great! It's great to solo with (charm mob as pet, fight another mob with pet, break charm, kill pet, kill mob). In groups it is a HUGE amount of DPS. Charm lets you do things that would be nearly impossible with other classes. i.e. A shaman friend and myself duo The Hole at level 50... With malo/tash I can charm a level 47 rogue (capturer) and we grind through mobs like butter as he tanks/slows them. It almost feels like cheating.

Is it annoying? Sometimes... but it's way worth it. Very powerful!

Swish
03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Yep definitely a big tip... if you're grouped with a tank, find any rogue mob you can.

If you're grouped (or slaying anything in Highkeep), Osargen is one such example. L20 or so but backstabs for 210...and on a lesser scale, if you're doing the Mistmoore zone in the "initiate familiar" mobs (among other MM mobs) often backstab :)

Tenlaar
03-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Yep definitely a big tip... if you're grouped with a tank, find any rogue mob you can.

Or if you're doing a fear kite duo! I wish I could find a rogue mob in LOIO.

Swish
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Or if you're doing a fear kite duo! I wish I could find a rogue mob in LOIO.

Which reminds me! Spirocs in TD! Duo'd on my cleric with an enchanter there.

Mez a spiroc proven (rogue), and let rip with some fear kite. DE cleric (so mob snared too). Was fast XP :)

fugazi
03-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Question: what's the best way to XP as a cleric/ench duo that is lvl13-14? The enchanter has around 140-150 charisma, a far cry from 200-255. The entrance of Najena is nice, but the yellow con ogre guards can completely ruin the party. Kurns up to 20? Lake of Ill Omen after?

Also, general play-style tips would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps I should make a new thread for this :)

Swish
03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Kurn's up to 20ish works well, you can always go a couple more levels if you want to and don't mind venturing further up/in.

Alternatives if you dont want to travel:

1. Orc highway in Oasis - enough mobs to sink a ship.
2. Nybright sisters in Lesser Fay - if you can get the camp.
3. Unrest trash outside - careful of multiple pulls.
4. Kerrans in Erud's Crossing - still a bit of a journey unless you're playing erudites/humans.
5. Upper Guk - though I don't know it well enough to recommend where exactly. Perhaps crocodiles and graduate to spiders next door when you've levelled a few times.

If you want to have the Kunark experience though, Kurn's is a great start :)

As for strategy, charm I remember being a bit iffy to start with - it gets better as you level into the 20s. Experiment with it but load up on tiny daggers for standard pets too. If mobs are even con/yellow/etc then you'll get a lot of resists and early breaks.

If you've got a steady pet that isn't sinking your mana from charm breaks I'd recommend the cleric just keeps the pet healed and keep using it if its good! No exp penalty for the pet doing 90% of the damage because you're grouped :)

Tecmos Deception
03-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I have never played an enchanter, but I've been considering it lately.

Charm seems like a lot of fun, and quite powerful. I have played a necro since live however, and dealing with a pet that isn't permanent is not something I have much experience with.

For all it's positives, does charm ever become tedious?

Try out using charm on your necro and find out for yourself!

And concerning it being dangerous to go afk when you have a charmed pet? Well, when solo you can just make use of a pet in an easily-accessible location and then log out and afk, or log out and come back in if you're in a safe spot and then afk, or break your charm and stun/mez/root/calm/blur/etc. your pet. When in a group, have someone time a root or something so that you break charm it doesn't even get to you before it's locked down, blur it, and afk. If it does break root early or the group doesn't keep him parked for you, at least he won't beeline for you. With tash, mobs that are only like 80-85% of your level basically never break root early (well... I only know about it at 60, but with tash at 60 I cannot ONCE remember a level 50 mob breaking fetter in under 3 minutes unless it got nuked, and even 51s only very rarely break a fetter early).

Imo, the hassle of maintaining a charmed pet, whether soloing for xp/cash or grouping, is far outweighed by the power of a charmed pet. And the higher level your enchanter is, the truer and truer this becomes.

BurnMage
03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
And concerning it being dangerous to go afk when you have a charmed pet? Well, when solo you can just make use of a pet in an easily-accessible location and then log out and afk, or log out and come back in if you're in a safe spot and then afk, or break your charm and stun/mez/root/calm/blur/etc. your pet. When in a group, have someone time a root or something so that you break charm it doesn't even get to you before it's locked down, blur it, and afk. If it does break root early or the group doesn't keep him parked for you, at least he won't beeline for you. With tash, mobs that are only like 80-85% of your level basically never break root early (well... I only know about it at 60, but with tash at 60 I cannot ONCE remember a level 50 mob breaking fetter in under 3 minutes unless it got nuked, and even 51s only very rarely break a fetter early)..

I think this is all good advice and I do use it sometimes, but usually being lazy I am just tempted to afk really really quick to grab a beer or whiz. Chances are the pet isn't going to break and I'm just taking the risk heh.

Also of course I think charm is awesome and playing enc is awesome, I certainly didn't mean it in the 'charm is annoying so enc is lame' sense.