PDA

View Full Version : Server Down

Rogean
10-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, The servers down for a day atleast. Heres what happened.
Someone, (who exactly we have a few leads we are working on with the data center, who will be contacting the FBI) has been carrying out DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks on the game server.
The first time this happened the data center shut down all my servers. Whoever you are, you do realise that not only do I run Project 1999, I also run EQEmulator. Your actions had resulted in them shutting off the EQEmulator server, which obviously hosts the loginserver, which obviously means that NONE of the eqemu servers can be connected to. Is that your goal? You want to kill an entire project because you probably had one disagreement with a GM From this server?
Whoever you are, if you want to discuss your motivation and reasons with me, and possibly come to a resolution, please feel free to contact me at Rogean@comcast.net. If you have a dispute with one of the other GM’s I can try to resolve it.
The game server is offline until we conclude the investigation, but if this continues to happen Project 1999 may be down for much longer.

Update: The server should hopefully be back up mid-day tomorrow. There will be a patch before the game server is back up to address some changes and issues. Updates will be posted here when the server is back up.

Vonyor
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
This is horrible news...

Bubbles
10-20-2009, 02:20 PM
:eek:

Yikes. Hope everything goes well.

OlGrimm
10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
What a shame...:mad:

beamers
10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
original everquest is so hard people nerd rage this bad? :p

In all seriousness, the attack is quite childish and these people/person(s) should invest their time elsewhere.

Penoy
10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
/sigh... i convince my GF to sleep at her moms...and this happens!!! FML

Aija
10-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Wow..amazing what people get off on, ey? Sorry for your stress Rogean.

Jify
10-20-2009, 02:47 PM
/sigh... i convince my GF to sleep at her moms...and this happens!!! FML

I hate to say it.. but now I can finally start studying for my midterms! 8D

Goobles
10-20-2009, 02:55 PM
WTB Spell:Counterspell Hacker

Villert
10-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Ugh, finally get a day off from the gf. So annyoing.

aloronis
10-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Man this really suck's. My wife was sick today and called in sick we were going to grind like it's 1999 lol. Look forward to getting to play one of my other Mmo's tho lol. Good luck getting thing's worked out.

Majnaurd
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Day off and this.... find him and quarter him.... At least the wife be happy tonight =)

Biko1975
10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
That's terrible! I hope you get it all worked out for the best.

Grouch
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Interested in the fbi part, this is a cyber attack, hope the offender realizes this isn't fun and games when it comes to property damage. He may be sitting in some hot water.

Zexa
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Well thanks for hosting it for us. Runs crazy smooth when it's not under siege. Thanks for actually letting us know what's going on.

Raman_mCnoddlebrain
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM
seriously whoever this is doin this, come to agreement and dont take this awesome server away from so many that want it. Dont take it away over some insignificant disagreement or whatever.

bopice
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
:(

Yeah really i hope they understand they could face prison time.
I can't believe they would do this to the server and than have to pay the consequences. I hope they rot for doing this type of crap to such a great group of people and such a wonderful server. Just because they like to spam profanities/racial slurs and got banned. Grow up! Back in the day if you told the whole server to F-off you were deleted. If you said anything sexual or racial you were gonna get banned. Now people play Wow and think they can just get away with anything with no consequences. It's not all college boys that play this game, no matter what you may believe. I love the rules since i don't want my daughter to read profanity all day. Off topic , but i hope you catch this loser. I'm pretty sure he's someone that got banned and that would narrow down the list a lot!

President
10-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Now people play Wow and think they can just get away with anything with no consequences.

WoW is far more strict than this server, however, it has to be /reported. You can get suspended in WoW for saying PG13 stuff if you get reported.

bopice
10-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Not sure about that , I saw some awful awful sexual stuff on wow. Reported said players for shouting these things. Noticed 2 days later they were still playing and doing the same things. Gm said they were investigating the matters but couldn't release info at this time. But in eq the gm would come and watch the player within a few mins if possible and ban them. Wow didn't really do anything like that. They just allowed it to go on.

scumbag
10-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Actually wow is pretty lenient. They just send you warnings if you get reported for generic swearing. Overt racist words will get you a 3 day ban. The only way to get a perm ban is to advertise gold or use 3rd party programs. Oh, and you could get as many warnings for swearing as you wanted and would never get banned.

bopice
10-20-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't know. Eq's chat back in the day was very clean. Now in Wow the chat is terrible i mean terrible. I won't give examples but log onto wow and watch the chat for a few mins.

President
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Overall it may be worse but I definitely had raid members get suspended during raids for saying stuff in public chat and another guild reporting them. I got suspended too..

I guess there wasn't any straight banning that I know of.. but they were pretty quick about it when I experienced it.

KilyenaMage
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Right amm...dont contact the FBI, just give ME the pricks address please.

I wear a size 13 shoe, im sure me and his ass can work something out.

Goobles
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
My buddy got banned on Povar for spamming an auction channel with a schoolbus macro, with FAG FAG FAG FAG FAG in it.

President
10-20-2009, 05:59 PM
My buddy got banned on Povar for spamming an auction channel with a schoolbus macro, with FAG FAG FAG FAG FAG in it.

My favorite was to be just bad enough they put you in time out but didn't ban you. Loved it when they took you to that room in Qeynos Sewers that was the bottom of a huuugeeee pit.

Goobles
10-20-2009, 06:17 PM
They have a jail on Shards of Dalaya that's in Prison. The guards aren't very nice to you :P

By the way, it's been hours since the last update ----> a lot of people are restless!

KilyenaMage
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't sit there checking the login scree or anything like that...he said the server will be down for AT LEAST A DAY...and that was only a few hours ago =(

valdi313
10-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Whoever did this is a complete idiot. If you are gonna mess with someone who pissed you off, never break federal laws. The feds don't play around with this stuff.

Take the offer the site admin gave you. Talk with him and resolve this. Be smart.

oh, and DAMMIT....I wanted to get lev 8 tonight so I can go invis :p

Falisaty
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
i hear ya i was almost level 6....

tsonka
10-20-2009, 07:08 PM
I’ve reported some of these people too. I have a low tolerance for jackasses. On a server this small you don’t need enemies.

Kantan
10-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Why negotiate with this scumbag? It takes a pretty pitiful person to gain pleasure from doing something like this.

iI's like being on a fast attack submarine. Everyone is so miserable you only feel better when you take someone else's happiness away. This guy is so miserable he only feels better when he can bring unhappiness to others.

Goobles
10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
The guy probably did it shortly before hanging himself.

valdi313
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM
The guy probably did it shortly before hanging himself.

We can only hope.

tsonka
10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
what time did server go down?

bkmsr
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Booooooooooo!!! What a jerk prolly ruined it for himself now he has to ruin it for us all...effin baby.

Rogean
10-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Update: The server should hopefully be back up mid-day tomorrow. There will be a patch before the game server is back up to address some changes and issues. Updates will be posted here when the server is back up.

girth
10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
edit:1st after rogean wooot

Not only is he childish, but this guy is borderline retarded. Why would you attack a DATA CENTER? Good luck with the FBI sir, hope you understand how hefty those hacking fines are now - not to mention jail time.

He went thru a bit of work to set up a DDoS attack, wonder how many zombies he used.

Smashed
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Any update on the perpetrator? FBI going to let us have mob justice? lol

Pyrocat
10-20-2009, 08:57 PM
He went thru a bit of work to set up a DDoS attack, wonder how many zombies he used.

Not really, you can rent botnets for fairly cheap prices now if it's only for a short duration. No need to set up the botnet yourself, no need to write worms, just rent them from blackhats and probably the mob.

lapis_lazuli
10-20-2009, 09:09 PM
dangit, I had major designs in the works for the night.

To the perp -- teri bahen....

Taluvill
10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
i had an 8 hour spawn timed out to enter its 3rd revolution tonight and i was going to hit it = (

hackers are stupid. i hate people who use hacks or bots for malicious purposes, i hope he gets hung with an ethernet cable wire while being berated by the gm that ticked him off in the first place.

Someone was talking earlier or in another thread about a player who threatened this sort of thing, would love to see if yall can get him name. Good luck, i want my eq back

khysanth
10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
His name was Copenhagen.

Jify
10-20-2009, 11:58 PM
haha ya! I'd remember that brah's name anyday!

girth
10-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Not really, you can rent botnets for fairly cheap prices now if it's only for a short duration. No need to set up the botnet yourself, no need to write worms, just rent them from blackhats and probably the mob.

That's pretty scary.

And LOL Jify

m0rans
10-21-2009, 05:26 AM
I think this is great. Sorry I’ve been pretty much MIA from eqemu for about 3 weeks now but I was glad when I stumbled upon this new web address on the eqemu forums. I see that my name was listed here – I played Copehagen on your release (unfortunately I have nothing to do with your little problem here, but I have a grin from ear to ear) and was banned from some douchebag when I was arguing how it was classic eq to have serverwide chat channels but not allow boxing. Then said douche decided to list my private account name into a public channel with 100 other players. I gave him a chance to apologize but he refused and I told him his server would be trashed the next day so he banned me. I duped up 750kp++ through a few dupes that are so common that you failed to remove and am still sitting on it for one day when I decide to reinstall titanium and ruin your economy.

Seems like you stepped on someone elses toes with a greater understanding of how to truly ruin a server, so I guess there’s a chance I won’t even get to do that. Anyways I’ll be watching with anticipation to see how this trainwreck develops. With all the dupes you have (unless you guys hammered them out in the past 3 weeks or w/e), I’m surprised you’ve lasted this long without someone fucking with your server.

necron99
10-21-2009, 05:50 AM
The only thing you have accomplished m0ran, was becoming a one hit wonder. The quicker you fade out of existence, the better off the world will be, and those who know you.

So, save your apology, because your MIA is as important, than the loaf I pinched 3 weeks ago.

m0rans
10-21-2009, 06:03 AM
The only thing you have accomplished m0ran, was becoming a one hit wonder. The quicker you fade out of existence, the better off the world will be, and those who know you.

So, save your apology, because your MIA is as important, than the loaf I pinched 3 weeks ago.

A one hit wonder at what? I played on this shitty server for about 4 hours and spent a few odd hours duping. I would continue trying to dissect your post, but, you, keep adding, weird punctuation, and it's hard, to follow.

Just to reiterate, my few hours spent on the server was accompanied by some idiot GM who couldn't even discuss how illogical his argument was so he resorted to posting my private account name into OOC. Took me about as much time as it does to watch a movie to see how unprofessional (if you can use it for a task that pays no money) the GM staff here is. It can only snowball further on down the road as there becomes little distinction between GM and Player. So I'm a little surprised it took 3 weeks before he stepped on someone elses toes, but I will not be surprised when it continues to happen until the server is ruined.

Good luck with your problem fellas!

necron99
10-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Let me help you comprehend m0ran.

As you stated, you spent a few hours on the server, and exploited the system to make your ... 750kp++. Not long after, you were banned. I would consider that a one hit wonder.

You played, you exploited, and you are now gone.

You can argue all you wish about how unfair 'you' were treated by a GM. But it all comes down to the truth, which you have already provided.

If you cannot understand this, then I would have to say that you picked the PERFECT name for yourself ... m0ran.

Haynar
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for a ban to me.

Not seeing the issue here. Rather than help identify problems and be part of something bigger, he exploits and causes problems. Oh well.

How much would it suck if your life was that pathetic?

Haynar

Villert
10-21-2009, 09:50 AM
A one hit wonder at what? I played on this shitty server for about 4 hours and spent a few odd hours duping. I would continue trying to dissect your post, but, you, keep adding, weird punctuation, and it's hard, to follow.

Ugh, buddy. It really wasn't hard to find ways to dupe. The difference between you and I, or most of the other players on this server, is that we reported, not exploited said bugs.

Honestly, this doesn't make you smart, or better than the GMs who developed this server. I remember the night you got banned, and the time you were on before that, and you were a douche the whole time.

In fact, your general douchebaggery is quoted right here, by you;

I played on this shitty server for about 4 hours and spent a few odd hours duping.

Why would you log onto a server, and spend the majority of your only 4 hours playing, finding dupe exploits? Why would anyone ever want you here? I'm ecstatic that you're gone, and can't thank the GM who banned you enough.

avant_tard
10-21-2009, 10:53 AM
It's a shame this happened to such an awesome server. Props hosts/GMs ... slops pathetic wanna-be gangster attitudes.

On a side note: in what time zone is the server located? I can't work because of the snow so I'm wondering when to expect "mid-day."

Arkanjil
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM

Just to reiterate, my few hours spent on the server was accompanied by some idiot GM who couldn't even discuss how illogical his argument was so he resorted to posting my private account name into OOC. Took me about as much time as it does to watch a movie to see how unprofessional (if you can use it for a task that pays no money) the GM staff here is. It can only snowball further on down the road as there becomes little distinction between GM and Player. So I'm a little surprised it took 3 weeks before he stepped on someone elses toes, but I will not be surprised when it continues to happen until the server is ruined.

Good luck with your problem fellas!

This is all I have to say.......

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/Arkanjil_photos/SpecialOlympics.jpg

Mymonk
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Aftering seeing the last post, this is one of the rare times i type "LoL" and am actually laughing out loud.

Rogean
10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
I've contacted the data center and they will be unblocking the IP sometime in the next hour or two. I'll need to take care of a few things before the game server is put up, so depending on my own work schedule it may take a couple hours until its running.

Loretta
10-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanx for the update, don't get home from work for like 8 hours more though!!

Aija
10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work Rogean. We love you! :)

lindz
10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok time to go get chores done.

Thanks Rogean!

Goobles
10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Oh - just saw Rog's post.. :(

Wonton
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
m0rans is probably the most prominent tester. This is exactly what kind of testers we need!! Thanks to him GMs have a better understanding of where and how to draw the line. The sever wide announcements are always appreciated.

Rogean is such a pimp, btw.

Blink
10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Up now but locked =D

Bones
10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
It takes a different kind of person to go through this much trouble to hinder the progress of a emu server, affecting the entire population of the server.

Hope the FBI burns this basement dwelling waste of flesh.
My 2 cents.

Raman_mCnoddlebrain
10-21-2009, 02:35 PM
just wanna say thanks to Rogean and all the GM's backin you, this server is a work of art, would be a shame if it was down indefinitly.

m0rans
10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Let me help you comprehend m0ran.

As you stated, you spent a few hours on the server, and exploited the system to make your ... 750kp++. Not long after, you were banned. I would consider that a one hit wonder.

No, apparently you're having the comprehension problems.

Timeline:

1- argue in OOC about how can serverwide chat channels be classic but boxing not
2- GM posts account name in OOC and threatens to ban chat
3- I tell GM to apologize
4- I give ultimatum
5- I get banned
6- I load hotspot shield, login fresh account(s), start duping
7- Log off, let GM know whats up on other forums and that I will ruin the economy whenever I get around to it
8- MIA
9- See that someone else is fucking with the server
10- Post here

Hopefully #5 and #6 will help you figure out the timeline, so you can comprehend bro. Also considering my track record for bringing down servers with duping/exploiting in the past 2mo, I'd say I'm less of a onehit wonder and more of a vindictive yet righteous soldier.

Cya guys soon!

Penoy
10-21-2009, 04:30 PM
your cool!!!

Villert
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Hopefully #5 and #6 will help you figure out the timeline, so you can comprehend bro.

Hopefully #3 and #4 will help you figure out why you were banned.

Fanwen
10-21-2009, 04:52 PM
This moron makes me laugh. You were banned so deal with the fact that you are an idiot who cant accept authority. Tell a gm to apologize. who the hell are you. Go ask your mom to do your laundry and quit crying.

As for ruining the servers economy. Feel free to try. This server was never expected to have a true economy and i for one will be giving items away to friends and guildies and not worried about making money that little to no use.

So have fun stroking your E peen and just go away because you arent wanted here.

Jify
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
No, apparently you're having the comprehension problems.

Timeline:

1- argue in OOC about how can serverwide chat channels be classic but boxing not
2- GM posts account name in OOC and threatens to ban chat
3- I tell GM to apologize
4- I give ultimatum
5- I get banned
6- I load hotspot shield, login fresh account(s), start duping
7- Log off, let GM know whats up on other forums and that I will ruin the economy whenever I get around to it
8- MIA
9- See that someone else is fucking with the server
10- Post here

Hopefully #5 and #6 will help you figure out the timeline, so you can comprehend bro. Also considering my track record for bringing down servers with duping/exploiting in the past 2mo, I'd say I'm less of a onehit wonder and more of a vindictive yet righteous soldier.

Cya guys soon!

Yo brah, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Oh wait.. not I don't. You're still an idiot <3

KilyenaMage
10-22-2009, 12:50 AM
lol Morans...what have been doing, checking the server website/forums every day!??! Really, you have nothing better to do? God if i ever saw you in RL id knock your ass out, drag you into a Denny's bathroom, and leave a cleeveland steamer on your chest. (provided by the Denny's food i just ate)

girth
10-22-2009, 02:46 AM
sup brah, i miss you in ooc which isnt global anymore brah

valdi313
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Just wanna say thanks to all the admins for their hard work.

Pyrocat
10-22-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm still desperately trying to start the economy :)

/autojoin Auction guys

once the serverwide chat works.

Zithax
10-22-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm still desperately trying to start the economy :)

/autojoin Auction guys

once the serverwide chat works.

Fuck, just asking people to join a channel means you get to claim shit?

Well, I'm jumping on board.

/join Coolpeopleschannel

A) If you are cool
B) If you are hardcore like me and my guild
C) No noobies allowed

Jify
10-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Fuck, just asking people to join a channel means you get to claim shit?

Well, I'm jumping on board.

/join Coolpeopleschannel

A) If you are cool
B) If you are hardcore like me and my guild
C) No noobies allowed

NO GIRLS EITHER!

Supreme
10-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Honeypot owns DDoS.

Deanob
10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Something wrong with the server as if 11:45em EST? After character selection client just freezes...