PDA

View Full Version : low lvl charming

kuuky
04-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Hey all, as a new chanter I haven't the money to get to the 200 cha threshold, all told I have 132 is it feasible to try charm soloing at 12 or should I grp until I get more cha gear? Thanks

Pyrion
04-23-2013, 09:15 AM
If you charm solo at low levels i would always use relatively weak mobs as pets. Keep target rooted too.

You should probably group though, i think its better xp and much safer. As a beginning chanter you will die a lot while trying to charm solo. XP loss from dying will probably be more than you gain by your relatively fast killing speed.

Swish
04-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Get it up to 160+ in my opinion. At low levels I think every CHA point counts. Pyrion is right, use weakish mobs and root the target so that you don't have 2 mobs coming at you on a charm break.

12-20(?) are the hardest levels, it does get easier - but build up that CHA stat! :)

Golden Cat Eye Bracelets (costs JCs 11pp or so to make) +7 cha each...they'll help if you haven't got a pair already.
Crude Stein (usually cheap to buy also but check the Oggok vendors and the surrounding area in Feerott)

Berendar
04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
I've been charming with 135ish charisma very recently with no issues so far (you get your charisma buff at 20 as well).

Admittedly I didn't start until a bit later than you but I went from 18-19 or so to 24 at the gorge hounds in EK near Gorge zone-line very quickly. I could count the really early breaks on one hand (about 2) and 2 deaths due to not running for zone when I should have done. Your level vs the mobs is the biggie. By about 22 the gorge hounds were doing back flips on command.

My routine:

1) Pull gorge hound with tash. Do at max range which should mean you can get charm off before it reaches you.

2) Pull another gorge hound with your lowest nuke and run to safe zone. Set pet on mob. Run to max range and tash and root mob. Keep mob rooted. I would then sit and med.

3) When one or both of the gorge hounds were less than 20 percent I would root mob again for safety and then taper enchantment pet to break charm. Root ex-pet as it runs for you and then nuke it down (should take one Sanity Warp). You are left with a rooted mob that I would normally burn down before starting again.

If charm breaks then you should be at max range so it's easy to mes then re-charm. In my limited experience so far level is the biggest factor. Just charm low blues, should be plenty around the Commons and Karana zones. Maybe the little drakes in Lavastorm though you may be better off waiting a couple of levels.

Itap
04-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Inb4 splorf. :)

It seems that charm duration is effected by Level, MR, and CHA, in that order. Although gearing for CHA is fairly cheap, it's not a necessity for leveling. I won't try and go into detail because for all I know Loraen is typing up an essay as I write this.

Malone88
04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I think your charisma will be fine. Mine is 150ish and I'm at level 31 and have
not had too much trouble with charm. Important points as have been stated.

1) Tash mob first, then charm. Try to use blue or light blue mobs as pets.
2) Always root mob pet is attacking.
3) Can break charm with Taper Enchantment to kill pet first, then you
kill mob it was fighting to get full XP for both kills.

Best advise I can offer is to partner up with a healer (druid, cleric, shaman).

1) They can heal your pet so you can use it over and over.
2) They can heal you when pet breaks.
3) If you have slow, then slow mob you are attacking so pet takes even less damage.
4) Having a partner removes pet xp penalty.

In a duo like this, you can kill mobs almost endlessly with no downtime.

Finally, opalline earrings and split paw tooth necklace are other cheap items to pump up your charisma.

Selenia (Enchanter)
Blackangel (Necromancer)

seped
04-23-2013, 03:54 PM
4) Having a partner removes pet xp penalty.

Anyone verified this lately? the wiki basically contradicts itself http://wiki.project1999.org/Pet_Guide#Pets_and_Experience by saying

If your pet out-damages you or the group, it will take 50% of the experience away from the kill.

followed immediately by

If you are grouped, your group and you will get full xp from the kill.

and I'd like to update it to whichever is actually correct.

kuuky
04-23-2013, 09:43 PM
Thank you all for the info it will be helpful in making the decision whether to proceed with this character.

Splorf22
04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Charm is not that strong at low levels, for two reasons: mobs are still relatively close to pets/pcs in strength, and you don't have the mana regen. At L23 for example you will be casting almost the exact same spells (L12 Charm, L8 root, tash) but you'll have twice the mana regen with breeze and meditation skillups. In general enchanters are a somewhat backloaded class. It's not until 51 that they really become the stronger-than-your-group powerhouses that we all know and love.

P.S. hello itap

Samoht
04-24-2013, 09:22 AM
i've been playing a high elf enchanter, and charm has been much more efficient than mez in crushbone so far. it lasts much longer, cannot be broken by an errant hit, and adds DPS to the group.

Malone88
04-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Charm is not that strong at low levels, for two reasons: mobs are still relatively close to pets/pcs in strength, and you don't have the mana regen. At L23 for example you will be casting almost the exact same spells (L12 Charm, L8 root, tash) but you'll have twice the mana regen with breeze and meditation skillups. In general enchanters are a somewhat backloaded class. It's not until 51 that they really become the stronger-than-your-group powerhouses that we all know and love.

From my experience, charm worked just fine starting at 12 with root and slow available also, but things got ALOT easier when I got breeze and quickness at 16. Not only did I have more to offer a group, but I my charm kiting got alot easier with breeze. Partnering with a healer using a hasted pet is some of the easiest XP and that can start at 16 as well -- and it only gets better from there, as you pointed out.