PDA

View Full Version : The "PvP Text"

Pudge
04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
I am going to plead for the "pvp text" i know and love: the Yellow kind. Server-wide messages are the best kind of pvp text. Also best is when you include the zone, and the guild (whether tag was up or not).

#1 reason is it gives everyone a feeling that the server is alive. It actually strengthens the community, because everyone feels like they are a "part" of the pvp and live through it vicariously ("haha! glad he killed that fucker." "uh-oh, is that some twink slaughtering unrest?"). ppl will talk in ooc, and begin traveling to the location to join the fun, or defend someone from getting bind camped. Lonely newbs grinding solo will see the text and know that, somewhere out there, pvp does happen. Maybe they will connect with one another through realizing common enemies.

Anyone bind camping, killing alts (their own or their friend's - ppl may try and do this if exp loss is removed) or repeatedly killing newbs to try and spam Yellow will quickly be outed, shamed, and squashed by incoming gank squad. EQ is a very social game to begin with, but PvP servers are even more about the community (allies, enemies, politics). Adding YT will fuel rivalries, spark friendships, and make the server feel like less of a ghost town.

COMPROMISES:
If GMs think the "classic YT" we have come to know and love is too much, please consider these pleas and suggestions:
1) If "pvp text" only appears zone-wide, it is almost useless, as the ppl within the zone already know what's going down. PLEASE make it more than zone wide. If you really can't do global, consider sending this "PvP text" to all ADJACENT ZONES as well as the pvp zone. This will let ppl close by know what's up in their neighborhood.

2) Assuming global, if you are afraid of ppl being shamed, or things getting too personal, consider modifying the message. "A hero has been slain in Burning Woods!" or "<Force> has slain a member of <Nihilum> in Burning Woods!" etc.

3) Opt-in. Just like blues can turn in a book to go red, maybe reds can turn in a book to go global. Anyone who has turned in their book will be flagged for YT. If a flagged played kills another flagged player, YT results. Only ppl who are flagged for YT will see the message. ppl who haven't turned in their book will not see any YT at all.

heartbrand
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
o man shame i never saw a post like this 1 b4

Gel Mibson
04-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Elderan
04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
- If global is allowed, which I am fine with. DO NOT DISPLAY GLOBAL kill text if the players are below say lvl 20.

This will prevent stupid stuff we saw on classic live when duel was global.

We don't want to see PlayerIsaFag has defeated YourMom going out globally from lvl 2s, 3s fighting etc.

tehruoh
04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
^^

Pudge
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
GMs say there will be "pvp text" but hint that it will not be "yellow" - so before it rolls out im trying to give my suggestions, as once it goes live i fear whatever they implement may be permanent (i.e., they implement zone-wide text and it sucks and they say we can't complain because they gave us something)

Heywood
04-24-2013, 01:52 PM
- If global is allowed, which I am fine with. DO NOT DISPLAY GLOBAL kill text if the players are below say lvl 20.

This will prevent stupid stuff we saw on classic live when duel was global.

We don't want to see PlayerIsaFag has defeated YourMom going out globally from lvl 2s, 3s fighting etc.

I doubt anyone in Azrael would do such a thing.

However, I can't say the same for other guilds. Especially the ones who use dirty tactics such as training, MQ use, SEQ use, etc.

Elderan
04-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I doubt anyone in Azrael would do such a thing.

However, I can't say the same for other guilds. Especially the ones who use dirty tactics such as training, MQ use, SEQ use, etc.

Really? You just had to bring some flames to a legit topic thread?

Control yourself next time man.

STILLnotMORNIN
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM

So if a Nihi posted this exact post.. you wouldnt agree?

Heywood
04-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Really? You just had to bring some flames to a legit topic thread?

Control yourself next time man.

You bring up an asinine hypothetical situation, and then rage when say someone disagrees with you. Seems like you should be the one who should control yourself.

Anyways, vztz never had that situation arise and there was more PvP with a lesser population there. So I doubt it will happen here. Who even thinks of stupid ideas like that?

Reddi
04-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Lol Heywood sig

Tomato King3
04-24-2013, 08:48 PM
bla bla same old thread same old silence

Bamzal Sherbet
04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
no one wants to touch nulls code,,,.

Crenshinabon
04-26-2013, 02:12 AM
I agree with everything Pudge posted.
I am not even great at pvp but even what guild killed what guild would be really neat and make server feel more alive.

If devs make a couple changes this server will be even more rediculously awesome.

Don't see much of an argument as to why you would not have it.

tomato king4
04-27-2013, 09:20 PM
they dont want more people

more overhead and support

nothing new here folks please see above post by tomatoking 3

Holey
04-27-2013, 10:35 PM
this sounds like capture the flag but just with kills :D

Dacuk
04-28-2013, 11:55 AM
PVP changes are right around the corner y'all

heartbrand