PDA

View Full Version : so I got the right answer and my math professor marked me down

Black Jesus
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
so I got the right answer and my math professor marked me down because I didn't "do it right"

I was like sorry that I'm one of the dreamers able to see the bars of my prison and reach outside them

I am a beacon of human progress, without people like me Newton wouldn't have invented calculus and had his approximations disproved 400 years later

OforOppression
05-07-2013, 03:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cSzkWk2.jpg

doraf
05-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Prove that your equation works. Imagine if NASA guessed the right answer sometimes. No more gubment contracts would be the same as being marked down on a quiz or test.

Black Jesus
05-07-2013, 03:06 PM
You sound just like my professor "problem done wrong, plane go boom"

The question was:
"Let R^3 have the Euclidian inner product, and suppose u = (1, 1, -1) and v = (6, 7, -15). Find a value for k which ||ku + v|| = 13."

I pretty much did it in my head cause so easy then just showed that my K worked when you calculated the norm.

doraf
05-07-2013, 03:08 PM
You sound just like my professor "problem done wrong, plane go boom"

The question was:
"Let R^3 have the Euclidian inner product, and suppose u = (1, 1, -1) and v = (6, 7, -15). Find a value for k which ||ku + v|| = 13."

I pretty much did it in my head cause so easy then just showed that my K worked when you calculated the norm.

hahahaha, and you sound like me when I was in college. You'll do alright. :)

Ahldagor
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
test based on getting the correct answer or being able to show that you can do the work? if answer based then no work should ever be needed to be shown. if work based then your prof has a point, but should have clarified that they want it done in the exact manner as they taught it.

Black Jesus
05-07-2013, 03:14 PM
they didnt teach jack sh1t cuz I don't even know the proper way to reverse engineer it I just guessed numbers in my head til it narrowed down and finally hit

Thulack
05-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I loved getting math tests with a score of 70 because i got all answers right but never showed my work. School sucks like that. Also get lower grade because i didnt do homework in classes but then ace tests. Obviously i didnt need to do the homework.

Ahldagor
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
this is one of the problems with education atm.

Hasbinbad
05-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Teaching math is like having a 13 year course on lines, rigging, sails, hulls, etc., without ever getting in a boat.

vulzol
05-07-2013, 10:26 PM
they didnt teach jack sh1t cuz I don't even know the proper way to reverse engineer it I just guessed numbers in my head til it narrowed down and finally hit

Otherwise known as the trial and error which even 2 year olds can perform.

You need to show your work so your professor can see you understand what you're doing to get to the correct answer. What if you were working in the real world and had to explain your conclusions to a colleague? I'm sure they'll appreciate "I guessed and checked in my head"

Black Jesus
05-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Proof is in the pudding when you can show your guess will yield the correct result.

I don't need to show SHIT

Greegon
05-07-2013, 11:10 PM
I think the point is that you need to learn the method of finding the answer rather than just guess it cause later on when a problem is more complex you wont be able to ?

Black Jesus
05-08-2013, 02:32 AM
it's called brute force and its a valid mathematical approach for a young computer scientist

Black Jesus
05-08-2013, 02:33 AM
aint even trollin: Proof by exhaustion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_force_method)

Razdeline
05-08-2013, 02:40 AM
I actually agree with Black Jew here. I mean, the whole education system is structured like this.

I think its ignorant and stupid that education is quantified by "Set in Stone" methods. I think education should have more than 1 way to develop the answers for a given answer.

Most places you work at don't give 2 shits on how you did it. It's about getting the job done, within a timeline, and doing it right.

Kagatob
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Western Education. :rolleyes:
Homework and cram sessions have been proven again and again to actually be detrimental to learning.

Black Jesus
05-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Then why has America created more art, wealth, and science than any other country EVER?

vulzol
05-08-2013, 05:01 AM
it's called brute force and its a valid mathematical approach for a young computer scientist

Try bruteforcing this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem or any NP-hard problem for that matter with large input.

Bruteforce is child's play.

vulzol
05-08-2013, 05:06 AM
I actually agree with Black Jew here. I mean, the whole education system is structured like this.

I think its ignorant and stupid that education is quantified by "Set in Stone" methods. I think education should have more than 1 way to develop the answers for a given answer.

Most places you work at don't give 2 shits on how you did it. It's about getting the job done, within a timeline, and doing it right.

There is more or less flexibility depending on your school tier. Lower level schools teach rote learning because the expectation is that students are less free thinkers and need to be programmed a certain way.

Alawen
05-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Fight the system. Rebel against all forms of authority. Power to the people!

Except Mom. I mean, you're gonna need a place to stay.