PDA

View Full Version : New to playing the mage and have couple questions

drivett
06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Ive always played melee toon and im trying out a mage and so far i like it. Im currently level 24 and have grouped or partnered up the whole time. Im just wondering how much of a exp decline it is if i was to solo with my pet? Im also wondering if anyone can point me in the right place to go solo. What zone? what to kill? all that stuff. ANY info will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Infectious
06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
1) Hit najena get your 4 pet focus items.
2) Summon pet (fire) send it on mob.
3) When mob is at 5% back off pet, reclaim energy.
4) Summon new pet
5) Hit mob with a nuke that does 3% of more
6) Send pet to finish and get full exp

At your level it might be easier to just heal pet and take the penalty. Duno though played mage before the nerf

diplo
06-28-2013, 09:41 AM
just get the Torch focus item and you can solo with that up until 55 tbh.

Cords
06-28-2013, 11:27 AM
At your level I was kiting Splitpaw gnolls in South Karana. Nuke kiting is my favorite, though that may be because my main is a bard, and I kite everything. Pull with your bigest damage spell, then send your pet, and hit the mob again with another mid damage spell, and start running wide circles, while the pet finishes it up. This is best with a fire pet, or a water pet. This doesn't require the pet mods, but the sooner you get your pet modifiers the better.

Infectious
06-28-2013, 12:08 PM
After level 49 the focus effects dont do nada unless you get the ones from the planes.
Pet kiting really isnt worth mana. Instead of running around you could be medding and let your pet do the work. Pet kiting is best for outdoor named mobs

diplo
06-28-2013, 12:12 PM
once you're like 29 or so, i think you can do unrest basement til 40 or osmething like that. then do spectres, then do seafuries, then group or bw.

Flamewraith
06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Ive always played melee toon and im trying out a mage and so far i like it. Im currently level 24 and have grouped or partnered up the whole time. Im just wondering how much of a exp decline it is if i was to solo with my pet? Im also wondering if anyone can point me in the right place to go solo. What zone? what to kill? all that stuff. ANY info will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Pet kiting is by far the superior kill method. Lots of exp and as you gear up and gain more mana you can do it incredibly effectively. Currently on my 52 mage with 220 int I can kill up to 10 mobs on a full bar of mana. Now for leveling you are at the perfect lvel to begin killing forest giants in the warsliks woods. There is a hill RIGHT next to the door into the fort that is safe to afk and pull up to. It's best to bind in the tunnel and sell there for max plat, but if you want you can run to the iksar by the watering hole in the OT to sell at half price. Stay there to 29, then hit MM. After MM I hit up Frontier Mountain for more great EXP and plat from giants, then I moved to hill giants for some insane pp. I stayed there for a horrendously long time (10 levels) before moving to seafuries until 52 where I am now. Doing all of that I have made about 80k pp and leveled very quickly.

kaos057
06-29-2013, 10:54 PM
At your level it might be easier to just heal pet and take the penalty. Duno though played mage before the nerf

Pet heals are not efficient at all. You will run out of mana before the pet kills the mob. Chain casting pets is far more efficient than trying to keep one pet alive. When pet gets low start casting a new one. Right before it finishes casting click go away and you will have a brand new pet. This also resets the xp penalty iirc.

p-niner
07-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Chaining firepets reclaim and nuke for final blow. Unrest until 39 then freeport guards.

ripwind
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I've been trying to find some details on the pet focus items. Besides reclaim energy, what do they actually do? Summon a max-level pet at all times? And at what level do they take effect?

Thanks!
-Rip

Lojik
07-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I've been trying to find some details on the pet focus items. Besides reclaim energy, what do they actually do? Summon a max-level pet at all times? And at what level do they take effect?

Thanks!
-Rip

There are four focus items, one for each line of pets. When held in main hand, summoning a pet of that type will be stronger, at least up to the level 49 spells. For the 50+ spells you need the staves of elemental mastery.

ripwind
07-09-2013, 01:24 PM
There are four focus items, one for each line of pets. When held in main hand, summoning a pet of that type will be stronger, at least up to the level 49 spells. For the 50+ spells you need the staves of elemental mastery.

Ahh, cool. Got it. So does that affect, for example, the level 4 pet as well? I know it would be unlikely to have a focus item at that point, but I'm curious.

diplo
07-09-2013, 03:54 PM
the focus torch will make your fire pet's HP equivalent to the earth pet. Add that with the innate DS, it will melt npcs.

kaos057
07-10-2013, 07:27 AM
I think they work for any 24+ pet. And they just make them a little stronger/higher level than normal. You just have to equip the focus item for whatever pet you are summoning before you summon. Then you can switch back to your good weapon (if you have one).

Estu
07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I believe focus items work for any pets, even the level 4 ones.

Sollix
07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Shouldn't Agatha be answering all of these questions?

BarackObooma
07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Hi guys, I just came back after a year off and I have a 54 mage with a staff of elemental mastery equipped. I went to solo some seafuries and was surprised when my 52 fire pet's damage shield was only doing 2 damage to them. Is this a bug, did they nerf fire pet's damage shield? I was having to buff it with shield of lava.

Malone88
07-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Shouldn't Agatha be answering all of these questions?
I also yield respectfully to Agatha...

Sarius
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe the pet being a wizard pet cast the wizard DS on it and that over-wrote the regular DS. I never really screwed around with fire pets after decoy because of their reputation for being absolute garbage

p-niner
07-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Hi guys, I just came back after a year off and I have a 54 mage with a staff of elemental mastery equipped. I went to solo some seafuries and was surprised when my 52 fire pet's damage shield was only doing 2 damage to them. Is this a bug, did they nerf fire pet's damage shield? I was having to buff it with shield of lava.

Definately sounds like a bug.