PDA

View Full Version : Magician vs. Enchanter

Halius
07-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Title says it. I am trying to decide what to play on p99. I played on EQlive from 99'-03' and played a warrior to 55 and cleric to 39. I've been on here for about 2 months now and with family and work I have very limited time to play compared to when I played on EQlive, so I am really relying on solo. So far I have a mage to 9 and a ench to 4. I am enjoying both and I feel once I get more spells from the chanter (charm, clarity line, haste, etc) I will like the enchanter more. Also when I do happen to get the extra time to play I would like someone that is more desirable in groups which I know would be the enchanter. I just wanted to get everyones opinion on this, specifically for the solo portion. I have a feeling which way this will go but I thought I'd ask anyways. Thanks in advance for any input and tips!

Lojik
07-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Probably just play which you enjoy more. Magician is easier to play and better at soloing at low levels, while enc can solo great at higher levels. Enc can get groups easy, but mage should not have a problem getting groups as they're great dps. I would probably lean toward mage from the way you describe your situation, but both would be good.

diplo
07-18-2013, 02:00 PM
dunno what you're asking for OP since you answered all your questions.

Halius
07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
dunno what you're asking for OP since you answered all your questions.

I guess I am just looking for personal opinions on the soloing potential of either class and fun level. I'm fairly new to the caster classes so just want some advice on which would be easier for a solo career and occasional grouping.

Troze
07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
I'm up to 49 on my mage and love it. I have no problem getting groups as I have a pretty solid reputation for my DPS. They're useful in other ways as well, being able to summon arrows/daggers for pullers, mod rods for casters, food/water for everyone, weapons for pets.

As far as how to play them, I've had much much more success simply healing/buffing my pets as opposed to chain casting.

Sarius
07-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Enchanters are the best soloing class in the game at high levels. Mages IMO are the best class for new characters, especially if you have limited playing time. Get your torch ASAP!

Halius
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
How hard is it to get the torch done?

Sarius
07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Not very, you will just need about 300pp for the torch and the gem. You can get the toes np in OOT and the scale can be found on vendors in Lavastorm. If you play around 12am EST I'll help you out with it

Halius
07-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info and the offer. Usually I'm on around that time if I see you on I may send a PM. Also in terms of the fire giant toes, do people usually just auction those off in OOT?

Edit: Also I will have to find a way to make some money, any tips?

diplo
07-18-2013, 04:41 PM
both can solo well, but differently, of course.

it will be much easier to level up a mage with less gear. you can basically be naked with a robe and you'll be almost as efficient as a geared mage.

enc, you can solo but if you're not geared well then it's going to suck and be slow.

i would roll a mage.

Arterian
07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
I'd go mage in your particular situation.

cs616
07-22-2013, 12:41 PM
enc, you can solo but if you're not geared well then it's going to suck and be slow.

I don't completely agree with this. Compared to any melee an enchanter is still going to require way less gear to be effective. I've leveled an enchanter to 55 with really minimal gear, maybe ~5-10k total, which really isn't that much if you save up. I agree that a mage is less dependent than an enchanter in regard to gear, but OP shouldn't take this statement to mean that an enchanter is going to need gear like any sort of melee would. Enchanters, Mages and Necros all require fairly minimal gear to get to a point where they are effective soloers. You really won't have a problem with any of them gear wise imo and should really just focus on what play style you like the best.

Maybe try starting one of each and seeing which you end up playing more, and then making that one your main. imo a mage is easier to pick up quickly, and don't require the player to be as involved as an enchanter, but especially at higher levels an enchanter is much more fun to level.