PDA

View Full Version : Nice Pants! Duking out an Ogre edition

Seducio
08-10-2013, 05:20 PM
If looks could kill...

Help make my alt twink shammie look more badass.

http://wiki.project1999.org/Magelo_Blue:Labido

He is currently wearing a Fungi Tunic and Black Chitin Leggings. I am trying to craft a cool looking toon around that look unless anyone has better looking leg suggestions. I don't like the look of Gatorscale on an Ogre. Thoughts?

For shoes, I have Kobold-hide Boots on atm, but I am not digging the fact that this guy is running around looking apparently shoe-less due to the minimal graphic from the item.

Extra points for suggesting unique looking items (in an aesthetic sense) on an Ogre Shaman (Rubicite dreamin' of course):

Here are some of my dilemma's as I see them.

Ears - Black Sapphire Electrum Earring vs. Ivandyr's Hoop

Wrists - Golden Jaded Bracelet vs. Runed Mithril Bracer vs. Granite Bracer

Head - Platinum Tiara vs. Jaundiced Bone Helm vs. Totemic Helm

Arms - Dusty Rusted Vambraces vs. Totemic Vambraces vs. Jaundiced Bone Vambraces

Shoulders - Tattered Mantle vs. Obulus Death Shroud

Hands - Iksar Scaled Gloves vs. Jaundiced Bone Gauntlets vs. ?

Legs - Black Chitin Leggings, Totemic Greaves, Gatorscale Leggings, Withered Leather Leggings, Jaundiced Bone Greaves

Feet - Kobold-Hide Boots, Totemic Boots, Dwarven Work Boots, Jaundiced Bone Boots, Golden Efreeti Boots, Iksar Hide Boots, Withered Leather Boots, BIG RED RUBICITE MAN-BOOTS

Am I missing something?

(Well aware of the need for Djarn's Ring, Enshrouded Veil, and Idol of the Thorned)

Suggestions welcome.

Faerie
08-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't think you can make an ogre look cool lol. Maybe consider rerolling as iksar?

Seducio
08-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I don't think you can make an ogre look cool lol. Maybe consider rerolling as iksar?

I had a 65 Iksar Beastlord on live back when that was the level limit. Wasn't my first character either. Very badass feeling then.

Good times, but I've had my fill of playing a lizard even though it was way back then.

I chose Ogre for the simple reason of for frontal stun immunity, which I've never had. If looks were the only consideration I would have gone Barbarian.

Hmm.. just noticed the Magelo for Labido is 15 hitpoint lower than he has in game, but the intro stats and equipment all look right. Interesting.

Faerie
08-10-2013, 06:01 PM
I had a 65 Iksar Beastlord on live back when that was the level limit. Wasn't my first character either. Very badass feeling then.

Good times, but I've had my fill of playing a lizard even though it was way back then.

I chose Ogre for the simple reason of for frontal stun immunity, which I've never had. If looks were the only consideration I would have gone Barbarian.

Hmm.. just noticed the Magelo for Labido is 15 hitpoint lower than he has in game, but the intro stats and equipment all look right. Interesting.

Barbarian would have been my second suggestion after iksar, lol. Well that's the price people pay for the min/max playstyle: being ugly :(

I had some issues like that with the magelo as well, and it was that I was overlooking something minor. Doublecheck that your gear matches up; the magelo seems to be very accurate in my experience. And good luck with your ugly shaman :P

Nads
08-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Take it back..I am beautiful

Seducio
08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Ogres are what they are.

Regardless I'm looking for tips to make him more badass.

In terms of rarity there are always interesting scarce things like Rubicite, maybe Golden Efreeti Vambraces from Sky etc.

Then of course the 'not to be named V-word' expansion which is also imminent in however many months.

Looking for those kinds of suggestions.

Seducio
08-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm also looking for suggestions on the dilemma's I mentioned in OP for different slots that I have yet to iron out.

Thanks to anyone who may have insight

phobus
08-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Get a decent weapon - a big nasty hammer to smash the skulls of your foes. The Granite Face Grinder (http://wiki.project1999.org/Granite_Face_Grinder) comes highly recommended. If you are to be a proper Ogre badass, and not some nancy-boy Druid, the only one-handed weapon you should hold is a big menacing spear with a dangling little red feather.

After that, to take proper advantage of your Fungi Tunic, you need a big HP pool. Go for +HP where you can get it, and take AC or mana wherever you can't.

You seem to be mostly on the right path. Some specific suggestions:
Black Sapphire Electrum Earrings
Jaundiced Bone Gauntlets, Boots, Bracer (you'll want the bracer later for the effect anyway)
Bracer of Scavenging

Oh, and there's no shame in going shoeless. It's not easy finding decent shoes in 27EEE.

phobus
08-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Also,

Here are some of my dilemma's as I see them.

Legs - Black Chitin Leggings, Totemic Greaves, Gatorscale Leggings, Withered Leather Leggings, Jaundiced Bone Greaves

Trick question. :p

Seducio
08-11-2013, 02:23 AM
I appreciate your feedback, Zaftig.

As for weapons, I currently have 2 weaps that share the same badass graphic, the Runed Morning Star for 1h and the Poison Wind Censor for 2h. For piercing right now just swapping in the stinger for skill ups. I'm mainly using the Censor at this point even though that means no shield.

At what level does the Grinder become better to use than the Censor?

Also, I do have plans to quest the epic but those are a ways off and definitely below gathering remaining twink gear on the priority list.

So you prefer the BS electrum earrings over the Ivandyr's Hoop?

AC vs HP choice on that one.

I only have one ear to fill because I personally prefer the lore Earring of Essense over the BS Electrum Earring for the +10 magic resist. I think I'll probably get the +35 hp earring, though 6AC in an earring slot is tempting.

A JBB is definitely in future plans, but not high on the priority list currently.

Thanks for the suggestion of Bracer of Scavenging. Had overlooked that and nice AC on that.

I am also going to look into Jaundiced Bone Boots and Gauntlets. The plate look will cover up my feet and hands. There is aesthetic value in that for me.

As for the Jandiced Bone Greaves... Velious should really drop the price on these babies. Gotta always have a pipe dream right?

I never would have guessed when I first started on p99 that my main, Seducio, would be rocking a Crimson Robe of Alendine... Yet he does.

Picking a chanter as my first character on p99 has turned out to be a pretty intelligent choice and is how I am bank rolling Labido.

Seducio
08-11-2013, 02:40 AM
Go for +HP where you can get it, and take AC or mana wherever you can't.

Head Slot:

Platinum Tiara vs. Totemic Helm vs. Jaundiced Bone Helm

(3AC +35HP +50Mana) vs. (12AC +5wis) vs (18AC effect:Glamour)

Would there be differences in your recommendation here depending on low level (1-40), mid level (41-52), or high level (53+)?

One negative about my current Platinum Tiara is that it doesn't have a graphic. But the hit points are pretty nice.

The other two have decently cool plate head graphics.

phobus
08-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Head Slot:

Platinum Tiara vs. Totemic Helm vs. Jaundiced Bone Helm

(3AC +35HP +50Mana) vs. (12AC +5wis) vs (18AC effect:Glamour)

Would there be differences in your recommendation here depending on low level (1-40), mid level (41-52), or high level (53+)?

One negative about my current Platinum Tiara is that it doesn't have a graphic. But the hit points are pretty nice.

The other two have decently cool plate head graphics.

First of all, I've not done any calculations on this, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Basically, at lower levels, I don't worry so much about AC. From what I understand, AC is capped on a per-level basis, so you'll hit that cap with nearly any kind of twink gear at lower levels. Give yourself the biggest HP pool you can, then.

At higher levels, I feel AC plays a more important role for a Shaman since you can easily take a few hundred points of damage in one round. Obviously, a little HP here and there adds up, but in general I would only trade AC for HP/mana when there is a lot to gain. The Platinum Tiara is an interesting option, but I've got other things to spend 8k on first. :)

Loraen did some testing on the effectiveness of AC for a caster, and while it's probably similar for a Shaman, the actual cap should be higher. We just don't know exactly how much higher. Maybe I'll do some parsing when I hit 60 and have some free time. With our buffs, it may be that we can almost completely ignore AC on gear and just stack HP.

Seducio
10-29-2013, 03:46 AM
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Labido

He's def getting there, Labido's gettin duked out slowly and surely.

I just wanted to throw up an update to this thread as Labido has grown tremendously since this was first posted. He's currently 51 atm.

I was hoping I could get a veteran Shaman or two to look over my gear so far and help me fill any weaknesses that I may have missed. Like what's good in Shaman wrists now that I may or may not of out grown the Golden Jaded.

My next priorities for next gear as I see it are:

Epic (Have max faction + tear so just need to set up final fight)
Sarnak Battle Shield to go with 1hander
Idol of the Thorned (any better range piece for shaman?)
Maybe a Fungi Staff. Next level is level52/Regrowth so may skip this item. Should I?
Iksar Hide Boots/Withered Leather Boots (for the HPs, tho I dig my Black Fur from Dire)

and finally...

Some nice pants to upgrade from Black Chitin Leggings: Looks matter!

Rune Etched Greavess will have to be what to shoot for now to fill this category.

Jaundiced Bone Greaves are still essentially a pipe dream til Velious and VS opening up a lil.

What am I missing?

First World problems.

SamwiseRed
10-29-2013, 04:07 AM
ducked out or decked out?

phobus
10-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Rune Etched Vambraces will have to be what to shoot for now to fill this category.

Jaundiced Bone Vambraces are still essentially a pipe dream til Velious and VS opening up a lil.

I'm guessing you mean Greaves here?

As far as your wrists, the Supple Scale Armband and Bracelet of the Spirits are good choices.

Seducio
10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Duked out.. play on words for decked out.

Greaves, yep. Corrected.

Thanks for the suggestion on Bracelet of the Spirits.

Malone88
10-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Agree on Supple Scale Armband. Easy to get if you XP in KC.

Also, how about Obulus Death Shroud for shoulders?

And them pants...

Mayhem2
10-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Tiara for sure, compared to the others its not even a close call. Especially for the lower levels.

For your range slot, I'd go with a Howling Harpoon over the Idol of the Thorned.

The Idol of the Thorned is about +25hps at level 60 for a shaman.
The Howling Harpoon is pretty much +100 mana at level 60.

Howling Harpoon
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM PLACEABLE
Slot: RANGE PRIMARY
Skill: Piercing Atk Delay: 35
DMG: 13 Dmg Bonus: 25
This item is placeable in yards, guild yards, houses, and guild halls.
WIS: +6 MANA: +40
Effect: Stun (Combat, Casting Time: Instant) at Level 40

Seducio
11-04-2013, 05:54 PM
I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments so far.

How does Withered Leather look aesthically on an ogre?

Considering replacing my two current items: Black Chitin Leggings and Black Fur Boots

with the following: Withered Leather Leggings and Withered Leather Boots

Has anyone tried this look with an ogre wearing a fungi tunic?

Is Withered Leather just the standard leather look?

Iliilliill
11-08-2013, 10:26 AM
I believe the Withered Leather is normal leather look, and is what I ended up with in my build (http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Dgaf) and it looks terrible.

Not to hijack your thread, but I could use some suggestions too :D looks like I ended up too Wis heavy, so when I get to the canni levels I'll probably take some time to re-gear.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions and comments so far.

How does Withered Leather look aesthically on an ogre?

Considering replacing my two current items: Black Chitin Leggings and Black Fur Boots

with the following: Withered Leather Leggings and Withered Leather Boots

Has anyone tried this look with an ogre wearing a fungi tunic?

Is Withered Leather just the standard leather look?

Withered Leatherdaddy - I like it!!

DrKvothe
11-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Il, from a min/max perspective, I'd imagine you'd want a black sapphire electrum earring to go with your ivandyr's, platinum tiara, black sapphire platinum necklace, djarn's amethyst ring, maybe your black fur boots (clicky instant mana-free self-sow, along with nice stats), supple scale armband (KC nodrop), hooded black cloak (if not heiro =D), and enshrouded veil.

But you've got a fungi, so in reality you'd feel almost no benefit from any further stat optimization. I've got considerably worse gear at lvl 49 than you do at lvl 5, even excluding your Fungi. http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Winga

What I'd really recommend is fixing your melee dps situation. Before lvl 10, that GFG is effectively 10/36, and before lvl 20 it's 14/36. Pre-20, PWC is way better than GFG. Seriously consider some haste, also. For many levels you're probably going to be pulling with drowsy, meleeing, and root if they flee somewhere dangerous. Maybe add in affliction if you feel like it. But while you're soloing, GFG is going to provide way more dps than your dots, and fungi is gonna reduce downtime to zero regardless. FBSS would make you effectively level 21% faster if you can constantly pull.

Iliilliill
11-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Yeah I had been thinking exactly those upgrades (cept the armband, gonna level a bit before i make the run to KC) but since they're pricey prob need to farm some more cash on my main to continue twinking. Also keeping JBB in mind for the future.

I've got an FBSS for haste, and have been using the Darksea Harpoon in addition to GFG as primary. No shield atm because I plan to use the GFG when the damage cap lifts, but unsure if i'll be primarily Root Rot by that time anyway. No shield for right now, but if i ditch the GEBs and get Kobold boots I'd be able to pick up a SBS.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Pretty sure nothing can touch a Jade Mace 1-20 for a combat shaman.

DrKvothe
11-08-2013, 02:26 PM
PWC at 14/28 is pretty much the same dps as jade mace from 10-19, no? I like faster weapons too, but since PWC or GFG become better than jade mace 20+, i think i'd go with the 14/28 2hb over the similarly price 9/18 1hb so there's no awkward skill transition.

Seducio
11-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Another nice wrist item I've been looking for nobody has mentioned:

Amethyst Bracelet (5AC +15HP +3wis)

They are rare as hell though.

I'm looking to replace my Golden Jaded with one to keep the 15HP while getting a slight AC and mana boost. Supple Scale Armband is another item needed for mana/resist situations. But Amethyst Bracelet would be worn more often like I had Golden Jaded for last 52 levels because this is a HP dominant build.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
PWC at 14/28 is pretty much the same dps as jade mace from 10-19, no? I like faster weapons too, but since PWC or GFG become better than jade mace 20+, i think i'd go with the 14/28 2hb over the similarly price 9/18 1hb so there's no awkward skill transition.

Yeah that's completely true - always good to practice those skills though. And you also get to wear a shield too so there's that.

Seducio
11-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I created Labido with HP-dominant gear in mind.

At level 52 he is an excellent example of what items are available that are droppable for those seeking to maximize Hit Points.

(The non-droppable exceptions being his Epic and Black Fur Boots)

As far as I can tell the only droppable HP dominant items he is missing are:

1. Witherered Leather Boots
2. Bone-Clasped Girdle

For those seeking to maximize HP. It might be worth taking a look. Of course Velious makes many of these choices obsolete.

Seducio
12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Hey guys. A quick update.

Labido is now a level 53 Shaman and has acquired his Withered Leather Boots, leaving the BCG as the only droppable HP item he is without. You can check out his current setup below:

I wanted to ask the community about two things.

1. In adding the Withered Leather Boots in lieu of the Black Fur Boots Labido gains substantial HPs, but as a consequence his Agility drops to 74 with accompanying AC loss.

Are there any suggestions to get that agility point back without losing HPs?

Right now the only spots I can come up with are Legs or Hands slots but lose 10HPs in each if I move them around. Thoughts?

2. Is it me or is hitpoints and vital stats on Magelo off the mark?

Case in point:

In Game Unbuffed Labido:
HP 1903
MANA 1659
ENDR 1518
AC 729
ATK 904

On Magelo Unbuffed Labido:
HP 1818
MANA 1662
AC 686
ATK 967

All of my other stats and resists are equal and I am 53 in both places so I don't get the discrepancy. Why do I have more hitpoints in game than my Magelo shows?

Langrisserx
12-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Ogre shaman in full hate plane gear... with... now get this.... DE mask.

only way to be cool.

Seducio
12-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Illusion items are really cool if your main isn't an Enchanter.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
12-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Just backpack a set of JB boots and junk buff with them.