PDA

View Full Version : PVP Talks tonight decide Red99 fate

Stasis01
08-31-2013, 11:07 AM
We have big nerds who like to look big in a little pond - this box has none of the fun aspects of live or VZTZ.

The rule set is to blame, not the players - if you wiped red99 and recreated the same rule set it would be the same situation even if Nizzar did not play - Holocaust would have done the same thing if they had won.

We need a fresh start and a new rule set. This box is filled with bitterness, and griefing. There is no fun on this box other than the top guild, which the rule set favors highly.

This will be the deciding factor for a lot of players that I have talked to - Rexx/Knuckle realise after their hate trash groups are getting corpse camped (they are lvl 55/53) that these guys don't care about box population or really any other players here. I can't imagine them giving this a real shot and most likely just quitting, like every other group of players/stragglers that have come here. We have 59 people playing on Saturday at 10am, and most likely there's quite a few boxing.

I repeat the rule set created this attitude.

TEAMS- for community/safety for casuals new players

VARIANCE- for end game competition/elimination of zerg tactic being the only viable strategy for a guild

BOXING- This is red99, people want to play the heavy hitting melee, or the heavy DPS caster - finding clerics and enchanters outside of the main PVE guilds, or for groups is impossible, and really boxing was classic - just only allow one box so people don't kill it Sam style.

GROUP EXP BONUS- incentive to invite that shitty rogue with rusty daggers, he increases the groups experience

Little changes won't do - the red99 population is beaten and fed up. The population/attitude on box has shown this every day - LOG ON AND READ OOC, TALK TO THE PLAYERS. One guild happy doing PVE progression on your dime is ridiculous you might as well pull the plug at that point. They shit on your efforts to create a classic PVP box, and the rule set allows them to act exactly how they do and they argue the positives of it.

Last chance devs - if this is micky mouse changes I am out, will cash my loot out and fuck around on blue, that's not a threat, this is just the last breath. Red99 is shit, and it could be great.

Old_PVP
08-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Everything good has already been suggested somewhere else throughout this forum's history. In short, make the server closer to either a Rallos Zek or Sullon Zek type ruleset, with everything that entails.

EXP LOSS/TEAMS

If there is exp loss with pvp, then add teams. People are here for the pvp, not to grind back boring PvE exp. Exp loss in pvp is a big turn off early on, and it causes new people to quit more often than not. Teams provide a little extra security at the low levels with zone control and allies to group with, and keeps new people here just long enough that they get invested in their character. Sullon had exp loss with exp bonus in PvE, but teams are also required for this model to work I think.

ITEM LOOT

Whether it is a FFA or team based server, I think item loot is a great mechanic in order to keep people in line. I know this is an unpopular idea to many people, but there are a ton of benefits to item loot, that believe it or not are all healthy to a pvp server.

1.) It allows the underdogs of the server the potential to make a difference and affect the top guilds.
2.) It adds an extra edge of excitement and thrill to the game that you would not get otherwise.
3.) There is no pvp adrenaline rush that compares to possibly losing some of your gear.
4.) It cuts back on overpowered twinks.
5.) It allows undergeared, lower level players to band together and employ guerrilla warfare tactics to devastating effect, and actually cause serious consequences and monetary loss to otherwise untouchable people.
6.) Keeps the economy in check, no longer will droppables, rare or common, be ridiculously overpriced.
7.) Bragging rights, and we all know half the fun of pvp is the trash talk, both before and after.

Developers/GMs read this and take notes: Item loot is without a doubt, the most hardcore PVP mechanic that can be introduced on a server, and has been proven to survive and thrive in PVP communities. (Disregarding stupidly hardcore rulesets such as Discord, that just went full retard, and didn't last very long.)

I see some people saying that "item loot would be the death of the server/population". When there is no evidence that would suggest this. Sullon Zek had the lowest population on live, and they had EXP LOSS in pvp, without item loot. Rallos Zek started it all with being the first pvp server in EQ, and they were a thriving server full of guild wars all throughout it's history. And before someone starts flaming, I know SZ, TZ/VZ all had some badass PVP as well, I participated heavily in SZ particularly. (They were also team based, and thats an entirely different issue) My point is that item loot enriched, not destroyed, the pvp experience. There is actually more evidence to suggest this than there is otherwise.

Just take a look at Ultima Online, arguably one of the best pvp games of all time. Now take a trip down memory lane to some of your old pvp fights on Rallos Zek. (if you are oldschool enough) What made the pvp so memorable and exciting, and sometimes terrifying in both of these games? ITEM LOOT

The potential to lose your gear, completely changes the atmosphere of the game world. It's a sobering concept that changes attitudes, and ultimately is essential in creating the pk/anti-pk environment that we all love.

You all want to relive classic EQ? Well start with making memories, as gay as that sounds. Some of my most unforgettable gaming moments were focused around item loot and guild wars, political turmoil, and backstabbing. Item loot creates the best stories, and great pvp stories attracts new blood to the server. People will hear a story and think about how they want to get in on the fun.

No where else will you be able to loot a Fungi Tunic off anything besides the Myconid Spore King.

No where else will someone get blacklisted and shunned by the community for opportunistic pking a member of their own group to steal a FBSS.

No where else will you see players hastily bagging their gear, hoping not to be blinded before they die.

No where else will you be able to band together with others to take down an overpowered, overtwinked character, and truly make them pay.

No where else will you have an economy that doesn't get too big and out of control and over inflated.

No where else will the pk/anti-pk dynamic exist, other than an item loot server.

No where else do reputations matter more.

No where else will the underdogs stand a chance.

Item loot is absolutely essential to FFA pvp, and will save this server, one shiny loot at a time.

Sorry for the book. Wipe the server clean, start fresh, and start with item loot or teams, or better yet...BOTH. Most of us that are posting suggestions want to see this server succeed, because it is potentially one of the best options for free MMO pvp out there. Some may not have any "red99 history" but we do have years and years of PVP history from all walks of MMORPGs. This isn't our first rodeo, and this isn't 1999. Most of us aren't noobs anymore. We know what works and what makes PVP great, and item loot works and TEAMS definitely work...even in EverQuest.

Get with the program and turn red99 into something worthy of remembrance.

Just the 2 coppers of an old pvper.

GreenRanger
09-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Item Loot is classic. PERIOD! Project1999 attempts and successfully emulates a "Classic Atmosphere" though its hit and miss sometimes, their batting average is high. I have high expectations they will nail it with this server.

Absynthe2k5
09-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't agree that item loot fosters growth. Sorry. You have classic 1999 blue...does red have to be classic in every aspect? If it is going to draw people then change it to something more enticing. I am all alone on the server right now and no one to bind me so now I can't level. This is shit.

Not really the rules per say that allows the server to be run into the ground it is the lack of moderation on the part of those running the server. If more then one guild has access to end game content and a fair shake without training and camping then you will see more team come to life. You think for one second that a 3rd string Nihi raider would stay there if they had a chance to be 1st string other guild? (I don't know their raid distribution but this is just an example of how things work on other games) Simple fact folks are clustering to one guild because they can't progress without it. The folks running the server have allowed it to stagnate by allowing one group sole control over the whole box. I am not anti nihi in any way, in fact they have been nicer to me then most non nihi so far. I do know from years and years and multiple games experience that a monopoly is what kills things.

To be fair though, if more non nihi folks would take their heads outta their arses and be nice to new folks and help other players and join 1 team then they would in fact gear and take down mobs. As someone mentioned previously, allowing retards to grief new players off the server with a twink is stupid and it isn't pvp it is griefing. When you have someone to fight that might win it is pvp. When your in 50k in gear and they are in 10 gold of gear it isn't hard to figure out who is going to win unless you really suck at your twinked out toon.

Gustoo
09-18-2013, 03:58 PM
It's a well documented fact that for 90 percent of red99 population pvp is an inconvenience and they have no reason to engage in it.

Only level 60's desperate to use their droppable gear have to worry.

New PVP server should follow classic timeline exactly (since now all expansions will be ready) instead of being some screwball hodgepodge that both previous servers have been.

I think teams are ridiculous though and all scientific evidence from climate change biologists show that teams servers wind up being a stupid mess with 1 team pooing all over the other team (eventually).

Raclen
09-18-2013, 05:07 PM
IMO ffa but cap guild sizes. if sum1 wants 40 active people every day then they should have to boot the other 100+ semi-actives (This is directed at you, nihilum)

This would be an interesting idea. They would probably need to cap around 70-80 though to give casuals a chance. If you only have 40 members and need 35-40 for a raid it would be tough to ever pull off.

NotJeterezpas
09-19-2013, 12:35 AM
This would be an interesting idea. They would probably need to cap around 70-80 though to give casuals a chance. If you only have 40 members and need 35-40 for a raid it would be tough to ever pull off.

You are stupid. Easy to just have a 'feeder' guild and then raid with two guildtags. It's a complaint that comes from desperation and stupidity and not thinking it through.

Nice idea, but that is not now you compete with a zerg.

Sgt1stClassPerkerwood
09-19-2013, 09:29 AM
I think anything that isnt as extreme as item loot will result in red99 2.0

The zergs will gear up and continue to grief 24/7.

"But thats the point of pvp!!11 zomg!"

True. But what about when 4-5 noobs gang up on a twink and after a few unsuccessful tries, they kill him and loot an item that is worth 5x all their gear combined? You took someones time they spent raiding and acquiring a nice item and gave it to a noob.

wikileaksp99
09-20-2013, 03:10 AM
new server will be a hotter flash in the pan than red99. people will zerg it the first 2 weeks for fun, then never login again. 4 people, complete no lifers, will farm this 30 pop server while red99 gets farmed by another pathetic 22 people on that 90 pop server.

they will merge. all will join one guild. velious will be farmed. Chewie will still do more pvp than everyone in Nihilum (or whatever pathetic guild they call it) combined.