PDA

View Full Version : Good duo for Cleric?

Cyph
10-17-2013, 01:15 AM
Hi all! My Warrior friend was commenting the other day that he was thinking of trying a Cleric... so I'm wondering what class would duo good with it? I currently have a Bard and Enchanter (as per my sig) that could be used with the Cleric, would any of those be a good fit? Suggestions?

Cheers!

Danth
10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Enchanter is often regarded as the ideal duo partner for a Cleric.

Danth

Cyph
10-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Cheers Danth. I was thinking the bard would also be useful, as I could draw agro + speed song + mana song eventually.

pasi
10-17-2013, 02:05 AM
It's boring to reply enchanter to all these posts, but yeah... enc/cleric is ridiculous.

Really can't go wrong with cleric + any melee. You might have a lot more fun grouping and taking the game gradually rather than bulldozing to rich ass 60s as enc/cleric.

Cyph
10-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Ok, silly questions perhaps, but besides the Enchanters breeze line, what else do they have that has such a great cohesion with clerics?

Tecmos Deception
10-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Ok, silly questions perhaps, but besides the Enchanters breeze line, what else do they have that has such a great cohesion with clerics?

Enchanters, via charm, do rogue-like DPS while providing warrior-like tanking plus the best CC in the game by far and some of the best utility also (clarity for mana regen, MR buffs, lulls for pulling, both invis and ivu, and more). Their only weaknesses are low max hp and no healing.

Clerics buffs almost double a chanter's HP, and they are the best healers in the game to save a chanter's butt when they are having charm break or resist issues. Clerics also can eventually complete heal the chanter's pet, which is ridiculously efficient because of how many hit points NPCs have compared to PCs of a similar level. Clerics can also help stun to interrupt casters, cure poison/disease (which are really nasty on a chanter), etc. Really good clerics can contribute with roots, lulls, dispels, and blurs too.

It's the ultimate "grind through a million mobs" duo, assuming you enjoy relying almost entirely on charm. And some people don't like charming like that. If you're one of them, any melee or a mage or a necro make for solid cleric+X duos.

Tenlaar
10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Your shaman would also work with a cleric. Shaman is already one of the top soloers, throw in a cleric for more HP buffs/lull/stuns for casters/combat heals/canni heals and they can do a lot. Especially later on when you can canni down 500 hp while the cleric is medding, and he can top you off with a single heal.

Tecmos Deception
10-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Sham+cle is going to be rather slow because of low sustained damage though.

Tenlaar
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't get the impression that these guys are super min/max power gamers who are going to worry about getting faster experience over playing what they enjoy, and his shaman is his highest level character. I think it's fair to point out that shaman and cleric do compliment each other in some ways. Shaman has no reliable way to interrupt casters, cleric has stuns. Shaman has to break camps the hard way, cleric has lull. Shaman can turn his HP into mana at as fast a rate as his HP can sustain, cleric is the best at efficiently sustaining his HP (yes, until torpor, but that's a long way off, if ever). You have the combination of the best HP buffs and the best stat buffs. It's not the most balls to the wall xp grinding duo, but it's solid.

fishingme
10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
enchanter/cleric :) CHeal that 8-10k hp pet in old seb and keep on trucking. I can't imagine bard would be all that bad but you would be stuck in the upper levels with little dps. However, fastest way to lvl 25-48/49 bard aoe kiting with the cleric.

Tecmos Deception
10-17-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't get the impression that these guys are super min/max power gamers who are going to worry about getting faster experience over playing what they enjoy, and his shaman is his highest level character. I think it's fair to point out that shaman and cleric do compliment each other in some ways. Shaman has no reliable way to interrupt casters, cleric has stuns. Shaman has to break camps the hard way, cleric has lull. Shaman can turn his HP into mana at as fast a rate as his HP can sustain, cleric is the best at efficiently sustaining his HP (yes, until torpor, but that's a long way off, if ever). You have the combination of the best HP buffs and the best stat buffs. It's not the most balls to the wall xp grinding duo, but it's solid.

These are reasons why I didn't say "don't do sham+cle; it's terrible" and instead just pointed out the big weakness of the duo :p

Tenlaar
10-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Your comment actually has me curious now. Just because the shaman could basically canni indefinitely and be more free with throwing DoTs or nukes, I wonder what the difference in % xp earned in an hour between a solo shaman and a shaman/cleric duo would be. If shaman solo experience is considered good, and shaman/cleric can equal or exceed that experience, it has to be considered good experience. Right?

Maybe I can play around on my 31 shaman some time and see.

Cyph
10-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies all. With the information provided, if we do decide to make new toons, I'll get the other person to make a Cleric and I'll use my Enchanter :) Regardless, I loved that enchanter!

Elerion
10-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Your comment actually has me curious now. Just because the shaman could basically canni indefinitely and be more free with throwing DoTs or nukes, I wonder what the difference in % xp earned in an hour between a solo shaman and a shaman/cleric duo would be. If shaman solo experience is considered good, and shaman/cleric can equal or exceed that experience, it has to be considered good experience. Right?

Maybe I can play around on my 31 shaman some time and see.
X xp/hour divided by 2 is less than X xp per hour divided by 1. Unless the Cleric can double the killing rate of the Shaman (I doubt that), it will be worse XP than Shaman solo. Also, every group you form will likely be low DPS until you hit your 5th or 6th member, meaning XP will be rather slow in most groups as well.

Cleric+Tank will be low DPS but can add any DPS class and be a great trio.
Cleric+Melee DPS can duo anywhere except some dungeons for decent XP, but may have some downtime. It works, but would be faster with a Druid/Shaman. Monk would be better than Ranger/Rogue, but all 3 work (Cleric tanks if duo with rogue).
Cleric+Mage is traditionally fantastic, but I hear there are pet aggro issues on P99. Others will know more.
Cleric+Enchanter is amazing, but a bit slow on low levels. Once Enchanter can reliably hold a charm pet without going OOM, you can kill anything that doesn't require a raid as a duo. XP is slower than Ench solo, but risk and (and thus downtime) will go way down. You also have 2/3 of the holy trinity, so forming good groups is easy.
Cleric+Bard can low hp kite for great duo XP, but is weak on single targets. Pretty much just as good as Cleric+Ench for forming groups.

Anything else you could pair with a cleric will XP slower than the duo partner could do solo, but everything works to some extent, and you will always have the benefit of easy groups.

fishingme
10-18-2013, 09:19 AM
enchanter/cleric is a very fun duo. It only gets more fun as you level. By the time you're in your mid 40's you'll be loving it