PDA

View Full Version : Expected % of experience for a quest turn in?

Quester99
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
With the Drama of the Tumpy Tonics quest I would like to get some clarification on what is considered an "acceptable" % of experience for a quest turn in and what would be considered "exploitable".

For example, the bone chip quests in Kaladim and the gnoll fang quests in Qeynos and Halas offer a great amount of experience at the lower levels (it is possible with a few stacks to skip multiple levels, and the bone chip quest is more accessible as bone chips can be purchased in mass from other players).

Today I encountered a quest where with a single turn in I was able to take a character from 8 to half way through 10. This isn't a quest geared to that level of character, but I was able to complete the quest by obtaining the items from other players and having help running around. Should I report that? Is this % of experience in line with classic (it certainly would be in line with the difficulty of the quest were I to obtain the items myself and I doubt the % would nearly as good at the level the quest was designed for). I planned to run the quest agian tonight as a higher level but the down time has squashed those plans.

Somekid123
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Report it, chances are if you dont you'll get banned / delevel'd.

Reiker
11-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Think about it a bit before getting paranoid and freaking out. Many quests on live were great exp, including bone chips, gnoll fangs, goblin ears, etc. This is like getting help to kill a red con mob and thinking you'll be banned for getting 20% a kill.

The only way you'll get in trouble is if you're knowingly exploiting IE. if you find out kiola nuts were stackable here when they weren't on live...

Gildiss Gram
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
FYI the part of the Tumpy Tonics that was deemed the "exploit" was not the XP given. It was simply the fact that the nuts stacked. That is all. The xp is exactly what the staff wanted it to be.

Dabamf
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
If the quest is tuned for 20 and you do it at 8, yea you're gonna get a bucket of exp,as you should. The tumpy tonics was a completely different story since an aspect of the quest was completely wrong (you were capable of carrying 20 times the number you should be able to carry.

Unless the exp is unbalanced for the level it's tuned for, there's probably nothing wrong.

Torrinn
11-30-2009, 12:20 PM
With the Drama of the Tumpy Tonics quest I would like to get some clarification on what is considered an "acceptable" % of experience for a quest turn in and what would be considered "exploitable".

For example, the bone chip quests in Kaladim and the gnoll fang quests in Qeynos and Halas offer a great amount of experience at the lower levels (it is possible with a few stacks to skip multiple levels, and the bone chip quest is more accessible as bone chips can be purchased in mass from other players).

Today I encountered a quest where with a single turn in I was able to take a character from 8 to half way through 10. This isn't a quest geared to that level of character, but I was able to complete the quest by obtaining the items from other players and having help running around. Should I report that? Is this % of experience in line with classic (it certainly would be in line with the difficulty of the quest were I to obtain the items myself and I doubt the % would nearly as good at the level the quest was designed for). I planned to run the quest agian tonight as a higher level but the down time has squashed those plans.

If you have a quest that is leveling you with one turn in, you should report it just to be safe as it may not be working as intended unless the quest is intended for someone of a much higher level and you somehow managed to get your hands on the turn in items. This is why some turn in items are flagged as no drop. Maybe the item you turned in is missing the flag, in which case the devs need to know so they can fix it before too many people find out about it and they end up having to roll back or ban dozens of players. The worst that can happen is you lose 1 level. If you exploit for multiple levels you could lose all of those and maybe get banned.

Keep in mind, though, that even if it turns out to be legit, leveling from turn in quests has consequences. Your skills lag behind and when you go to fight a level appropriate mob you will have a hard time hitting it with melee and your higher level spells will fizzle a lot. The mobs will also hit a lot harder until your defensive skills improve.

Jify
11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
It sounds like you are describing the Crushbone belt/pad turn in. There is nothing exploitative about that one as you can only hand in 2 at a time and there is a limit as to how many you can carry as they are not stackable. There is also a definite limit on how many levels you can gain with it before the XP slows to the point where it is no longer worth wasting your time or plat gathering belts/pads. The XP being given by the Tumpy Tonics combined with the huge volume of nuts you could carry added to the convenience of the translocators created a situation that could not be allowed to continue. Could you do belts and pads to 50? Probably, but I wouldn't want to try it because it would take more time than actually going out there and earning your XP by killing mobs.

hehe. Pads/belts don't give anything near that, sadly. :(

Bannedfornoreason
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
so now that all the information is out there and has been discussed thoroughly we have all reached the conclusion that the exp was correct? Well god that pretty much silences all the people who have been screaming for the ban hammer then

Tollen
11-30-2009, 12:37 PM
wont matter if items are No-drop cause you can still get it done, Guy did monk epic on a lvl 1 monk... got a ton of exp lol don't remember how many lvls he got off it.

my point is if you don't want low lvls doing the quest the npc should and can check player lvl so you don't get lvl 1's doing a quest intended for lvl 46+ (epics via MQing)

Bigcountry23
11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Are the nuts non-stackable now?

President
11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
wont matter if items are No-drop cause you can still get it done, Guy did monk epic on a lvl 1 monk... got a ton of exp lol don't remember how many lvls he got off it.

my point is if you don't want low lvls doing the quest the npc should and can check player lvl so you don't get lvl 1's doing a quest intended for lvl 46+ (epics via MQing)

Or just leave it classic... remember doing staff of the wheel on a level 20 wizzie, tons of xp and fun.

Tengo
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Or just leave it classic... remember doing staff of the wheel on a level 20 wizzie, tons of xp and fun.

Are you crazy hehe? I just did Staff of the Wheel at 19 on my wiz, was a whole ton of deaths and zero exp. Are you saying you turned in your uber staff for rune components back in the day? Wish I could give up 10 int so easily heh..

President
11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Are you crazy hehe? I just did Staff of the Wheel at 19 on my wiz, was a whole ton of deaths and zero exp. Are you saying you turned in your uber staff for rune components back in the day? Wish I could give up 10 int so easily heh..

Well everything was perma-camped when I did it back in the day. I literally had someone who was waiting to camp a SINGLE SPAWN at the entrance of guk walk me down to the rod or whatever I had to get. So I'm not sure I died even once doing that quest.

Maybe it wasn't a ton of XP, it was... 10 years ago? lol.. I thought it would have been but no idea.

guineapig
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Are the nuts non-stackable now?

They are still stackable. I have one in the bank for a Stein run.

birdsofprey
05-19-2010, 01:46 PM
If you have a quest that is leveling you with one turn in, you should report it just to be safe as it may not be working as intended unless the quest is intended for someone of a much higher level and you somehow managed to get your hands on the turn in items. This is why some turn in items are flagged as no drop. Maybe the item you turned in is missing the flag, in which case the devs need to know so they can fix it before too many people find out about it and they end up having to roll back or ban dozens of players. The worst that can happen is you lose 1 level. If you exploit for multiple levels you could lose all of those and maybe get banned.

Keep in mind, though, that even if it turns out to be legit, leveling from turn in quests has consequences. Your skills lag behind and when you go to fight a level appropriate mob you will have a hard time hitting it with melee and your higher level spells will fizzle a lot. The mobs will also hit a lot harder until your defensive skills improve.

Interesting read! Added to my signature.

Tallenn
05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
If the quest is generally done by a much higher level char (for example, the Temple of Sol Ro armor quests), then it is absolutely normal to see a lot of experience. When you do it on say a level 30+ char, you probably wouldn't even notice the XP bar move. This is normal.

Another example: I was killing gnolls in SK starting at level 29. When you kill a lot of gnolls, you pick up those notes needed for the Gem Inlaid Gauntlets quests. I noticed that when I did the quest the first couple of times at 29, I was getting around a yellow of XP (maybe more). It was even quite noticeable in level 30, which is a hell level. When I did it again at level 34, it barely moved my XP bar at all. I did it again last night at 35, and there was no noticeable change at all.

You can go from 1 to 5 with probably 10 stacks of bone chips. At 20, you could turn in 100 stacks and not see much movement on your XP bar.

This is normal.

stormlord
05-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Interesting read! Added to my signature.

This kind of stuff is common. Gnoll fangs give a lot of experience. It can't hurt to ask in the forums whether it's normal or not. Exploits are when you get a big reward that's obviously unbalanced and you don't say anything.

Mmohunter
05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi, Left Goblin Ears. ?

kariden
05-19-2010, 07:39 PM
omfg you did a quest and got exp?!??!!? thats like totally not in line with classic... BAN..

On a serious note. Quests give exp. Harder and higher level quests give more xp. Classic was full of broken ass quests that you could use to get to lvl 44 range quickly. Yes you had no skills but that shit was there.
If anyone said you should get ban-sticked you shoulda just /ignored them for being flaming retarded morons.
To be safe they do have that nice private section of the forums to report stuff. Doesnt hurt to say anything (well in terms of you getting a ban).