PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Innate Proc vs Rune

Daldaen
02-27-2014, 04:09 PM
I asked around about this and a few people told me that it didn't function like I think it should, so this big report is happening.

When fighting a mob that has an innate proc with their swings (VS Lifetap or Generals Proc), if the person the mob is attacking has an active rune on. The proc CANNOT occur. Miss or hit, so long as the person has a rune on... It SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Not "the rune absorbs the proc". But the procs simply cannot happen. Evidence:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=4588&p=6#comments

February 2001

The reason you use Rune 5 is that it stops the lifetap. As I understand it, the lifetap doesn't even wear away the Rune on the tank, so for a rogue, monk or ranger who's not supposed to be the target of his agressions, they will never get hit by the AE with one Rune.

The goal is to have the main tank keep him busy and focused on themselves. The enchanter chain cast Rune 5 and Bedlam to keep VS from tapping the tank. (His melee does wear away the runes of course). If he gets a life tap onto anyone it gives him about 1500 HP per person, so you can picture the futility of trying to kill him without stopping the taps.

January 2001

When the main tank is fully buffed and runed its time to get into position. Wizards enter the room and hug the wall on their right. Melees get BEHIND VS, the main tank faces VS. All the other people can stay outside the room and kill respawns if they happen to come by. Necromancers must choose a target to twitch for the fight. High twitching priority goes to enchanters and your highest level wizards. NO PETS ALLOWED! Attacking VS with pets gives him a perfect oppurtunity for lifetaps. Don't forget to keep VS harmonied during all this setup time.

FIGHT
This is how the fight goes:
The main tank will start attacking VS by himself for a few moments to build up aggro, enchanters will start chain-casting rune on the main tank so that VS cannot lifetap.

When sufficient aggro has been built up, it's time to bring in the reinforcements. All other melees start attacking with slow weapons, shaman casts malo and slow, and your wizards start nuking with lure spells. Necromancers twitch enchanters and wizards.

April 2002

Ummm . . . not to sure about that. We killed him the other day - not once did he lifetap the MA, who was being runed by our 60 chanter. He did lifetap someone who did not pay attention to orders. /em waves bye bye

And it was like this on EQMac

baalzy
02-27-2014, 08:15 PM
I asked around about this and a few people told me that it didn't function like I think it should, so this big report is happening.

When fighting a mob that has an innate proc with their swings (VS Lifetap or Generals Proc), if the person the mob is attacking has an active rune on. The proc CANNOT occur. Miss or hit, so long as the person has a rune on... It SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Not "the rune absorbs the proc". But the procs simply cannot happen. Evidence:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=4588&p=6#comments

February 2001

January 2001

April 2002

And it was like this on EQMac

Makes sense. It's part of what made rune chains so crucial against VS.

Nirgon
02-27-2014, 08:28 PM
Ya proc shouldn't happen

Tecmos Deception
02-27-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm not positive this is how it is working on p99, but I do know that when A-Team killed VS a several weeks ago, Sakuragi never dipped below 100% in the 40ish second fight. Odds of him not proccing his 1500 lifetap (which would have eaten all of a rune 5 and then hurt Sakuragi) at least once in 40 seconds seem to be very low unless the runes were preventing the proc from happening at all.

Xelris
02-27-2014, 08:58 PM
This tactic is also quite crucial against Sontalak due to him proccing a giant AE + dispel. Couple of those in a string and the raid gets annihilated.

Asap
02-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Haynar: Regular Runes will now absorb spell damage.
Haynar: Bash damage absorbed by a rune, can still stun you.
Haynar: Spellshields will absorb spells first. If they run out and any normal runes exist, then the normal rune will absorb the remaining spell damage until they are gone too.
Haynar: Spell damage totally absorbed by a rune, will display as if normal damage was applied to attacker. Spell damage partially absorbed by a rune, will display the actual damage that occurs.

Here is where Haynar revamped spell damage vs Rune. I'm assuming he had sufficient evidence to make the changes when he did in 2011, but it obviously could be off. /shrug

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28914&highlight=aggro

Man0warr
02-28-2014, 03:01 PM
It has nothing to do with Rune's aborbing spell damage.

If it's a proc, it should never go off if the target is Runed - there is no spell damage to be absorbed in this instance.

Basically for a proc to go off you have to hit the target, and rune prevents that from happening.

Iumuno
02-28-2014, 03:07 PM
It has nothing to do with Rune's aborbing spell damage.

If it's a proc, it should never go off if the target is Runed - there is no spell damage to be absorbed in this instance.

Basically for a proc to go off you have to hit the target, and rune prevents that from happening.

Correct. Innate procs (not weapon procs, which can go off on a miss) went off only if they did damage. With a rune up there is no damage, therefore no innate proc ever.