PDA

View Full Version : Rampage

Byrjun
03-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Rampage currently works basically as an AE attack, it does damage once to everyone in melee range. This is how it works on every eqemu server and it's not accurate.

Rampage should only hit one person. AE Rampage didn't exist until Planes of Power.

Rampage should be a full round of melee - if a mob can quad, it hits 4 times (you can dodge, parry, riposte, etc.). Normal melee attack rules apply.

Rampage (and flurry) worked like a proc, and you could decrease the amount of rampage with a dex debuff.

Rampage did have a range, if you were out of range the rampage would land on the next person on the list. It seemed to be a bit larger than normal melee range - if someone has a more accurate idea of the range go ahead and post.

Rampage operates on a separate aggro list, this list is not dynamic like a normal aggro list. For example, if your tank pulls a mob, and then an enchanter lands a tash, that enchanter will always be the rampage target until the NPC dies. The person who has primary aggro (the tank) is not eligible for rampage.

This was really strict. I remember people dying to rampage, and then immediately taking rampage damage again after getting rezzed in. Feign death wouldn't remove you as the rampage target unless you got a memwipe (maybe).

Basically rampage works in the order that people generated any amount of aggro on the mob, and getting off the list was nearly impossible. There was a lot of debate back in the day about just how it worked since people reported camping out and back in and still getting rampaged.

Also - a lot of trash giants in Kael are rampaging. I remember this being mostly restricted to certain boss / raid mobs.

Rogean
03-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Most of this I'm familiar with.

Rampage target is always the first client on aggro list, excluding the primary target. In your example if a tank pulling and an enchanter landing a tash, if the mob were to be taunted by a second warrior, the first warrior would now be rampage tank.

The rampage system doesn't currently work like it should and I'll be working on it.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Rampage and Flurry have been recoded. Pending update.

Ele
03-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Some Rampage info:

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21 originally posted at the Safehouse, copied to evilgamer.

Setting Rampage:

Every mob in EQ has an Aggro list, pretty much like a ranger or druid track list. On top of it is the one with highest aggro, the one the mob will pick and attack.

A mob that rampages has another List, which we can call 'Rampage List'. It is basically a Copy of the Aggro list, when the mob does his first Rampage.

AGGRO LIST:

- Tank1
- Tank2

RAMPAGE LIST:

-
-
(no one is on it because the mob didn't rampage a single time yet)

Then we will send Tank1 and Tank2 in melee, and right at the moment the mob will rampage for the first time, the rampage list will be created.
It should look like this if everyone pays attention and doesn't enter the aggro list (Bard AE song, random group buffs on Tank1 / Tank2, etc)

AGGRO LIST:

- Tank1
- Tank2

Rampage List:

- Storaz
- Teradok

Once this is done, whatever you will do after, the two persons on top of rampage list will be Storaz and Teradok, untill the mob is blured again, or wipe the raid completely.

Of course, as soon as we start fithing, more people will enter the mob aggro list (cleric first mostly when the first CH land), chanter Tashing, paladin curing or using lay hands.

A common aggro list will look like this after 10 seconds of fight:

AGGRO LIST:

- Warrior
- Cleric
- Cleric
- Cleric
- Paladin / druid / shaman (backup heals at the start)
- Other melees

Each time the mob rampages again, he will add these new persons entering the aggro list, to his rampage list.

In our exemple, versus Arch Lich, it would typically look like this:

AGGRO LIST after
10 seconds of fight
with arch lich:

- *Tank1*
- Cleric1
- Cleric2
- Curse Remover1
- Curse Remover2
- Curse Remover3
- *Tank2*
- Other melees
who joined the
fight and pressed
auto-attack

Rampage list:

- *Tank1*
- *Tank2*
- Cleric1
- Cleric2
- Curse Remover1
- Curse Remover2
- Curse Remover3
- Other melees

Contrary to the Aggro list, the order in rampage list is NOT modifiable, even if you zone, camp out, die, when you will come back in melee range and attack, you will be back at your spot in the rampage list, and be rampaged again if it's your turn.

Rampage list is 2 Targets at the same time, getting a round of Attack each time the mob rampages. This means only the MT + 1 Warrior will be rampaged whole fight if we do well. And this is much better than before, cause we were thinking rampage was MT + 2 warriors , and it was monopolizing all clerics. Now it will only take 2 clerics to heal rampage actually.

- FAQ:
Q: What happens if Tank2 dies, or gets out of melee range?
A: The mob will pick the next person on his rampage list (Cleric1 in this exemple)

Q: I am on rampage but not supposed to be, what do I do?
A: Run out of the mob's melee range

Q: But I am a cleric and I will be out of range for CH if I do that.
A: Run out of range anyway and ask someone to replace you asap. You will die if you don't run out of range. You will still be able to do long range heals, heal other people running to camp for a heal, etc

Q: Would it be possible to send in 3 or 4 warriors for the first rampage proc so a cleric isnt rampaged if one warr dies ?
A: Yes certainly, let's say you want Tank1, Tank2, Tank3, Tank4, Tank5 on rampage list, in this order. All you have to do is have them all shoot arrows before the first rampage. Make Tank1 shoot 100 arrows, Tank2 50, Tank3 25 , Tank4 10, Tank5 1 arrow. And you will have an aggro list in this order once the first rampage happens, and the rampage list will be the same order.

Q: Or would that make the mob rampage more than just 2 ppl ?
A: No, it would still be Two targets max.

Daldaen
03-04-2014, 11:35 AM
This was really strict. I remember people dying to rampage, and then immediately taking rampage damage again after getting rezzed in. Feign death wouldn't remove you as the rampage target unless you got a memwipe (maybe).

Basically rampage works in the order that people generated any amount of aggro on the mob, and getting off the list was nearly impossible. There was a lot of debate back in the day about just how it worked since people reported camping out and back in and still getting rampaged.

Also - a lot of trash giants in Kael are rampaging. I remember this being mostly restricted to certain boss / raid mobs.

I agreed with everything you said... Other than this part.

Memblur reset rampage list completely. Death, zoning and camping also removed you from rampage.

Rampage range I thought was something like the mobs natural aggro radius. Once you're out of that, the next person on Rampage list is selected. However if you return back into range, you get rampaged again.

This is why all knights and rangers would shoot an arrow at a mob on incoming. So that they are all at the top over clerics or DPS.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Lots of mixed information in here but I'm fairly familiar with how it should work, and I've coded it as such.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 11:44 AM
Information I wouldn't mind people posting facts for though:

When getting rampaged, how many times did the mob hit you? Was it just a primary hand attack (two hits with double attack), or offhand attacks as well (Quad)?

And for Flurries, I'm pretty sure based on most information I've seen, that flurries were an additional primary hand round (including double attack).

That's currently how they are coded and it will take strong evidence to change it.

Daldaen
03-04-2014, 11:48 AM
http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3640&highlight=Rampage

Aerie

Based on personal experience:

Rampage will hit all arcs, including behind.
It's based on hate list. (While standing right front of the mob, I have avoided rampage hits because I haven't casted a thing.)
It's a ranged attack, and it'll hit you even if you are outside the melee range.

Well,

I'm going to disagree then =)

My husband plays a rogue - does NOT get hit by rampage attacks unless the tank turns the mob unexpectedly. So it is not 360degrees.

I too have been next to the mob, and in front - and NOT on its aggro list (con still kindly or whatever, and not threateningly) and within melee range, and have definitely been rampaged - much to my surprise cause I didn't even know we were fighting ... woops.

You do have to be in melee range. As a cleric at relatively high end encounters, I can gaurantee that if I'm not in melee range, I do not get rampaged. =) Well unless I've stopped paying attention and get too close...

The rampage appears to be based on the aggro list, looks to be from top 3 to 5 from my experience. Melee range and arc does not appear to be a significant factor, I have been rampaged from far out of melee range and from all aspects on the mob.

Seems to indicate it was multi-target... Don't recall that.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
It does not hit multiple targets until AE Rampage in Planes of Power.

It does not require the mob to be facing the Rampage target.

It does go beyond melee range, possibly melee range x2.

These facts are set and I'm not interested in any information regarding them.

Please see my previous post for information I currently need evidence to support.

Saltefanden
03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Old world rampage is very easy to control once you understand it. The rules are set in stone and are always the same. Every time someone comes up with some "mystery" rampage it turns out that other factors came into play and rampage did indeed work as advertised. These rules apply to all PRE-POP rampage mobs. With the advent of PoP, mobs gained the ability to AE rampage so the rules have changed, but they are still the same for pre-pop mobs and all mobs that SINGLE rampage.

Rules for single rampage:

1. The rampage list is static and is not changed by zoning or death. The only things that will change the rampage list is a successful memblur, camping out, or on rare occassions when FD successfully memblurs.

2. The rampage list is set in the exact order that players get agro, they do not have to do damage, bard songs and debuffs will also get someone on the rampage list as will proximity and in some cases line of sight is enough (emperor comes to mind).

3. Rampage hits only 1 person each time it triggers. The person taking rampage is subject to a full normal round of attacks. If the mob quads and bashes, 1 round of rampage will be a quad + bash (if bash is up).

4. Rampage NEVER hits the person who has current agro, even if they are #1 on the rampage list. If the top person in rampage range has agro, it will hit the next person on the list that is in range.

5. Rampage has a range and it is different for every mob. Some mobs, the range is smaller than max melee range, other mobs the range is damn near the entire zone.

6. Rampage never his someone who has successfully FD'd. When the person gets back up they will resume their place on the rampage list unless they got lucky and the FD memblured the mob. This is why monks and SKs are great rampage tanks. If they miss a heal, they can FD until a heal lands.

7. Rampage is a proc. Cripple helps reduce the number of rampages a mob does.

The best thing an up and coming guild can do is to learn to manage rampage on a rooted rampaging mob - IV in Akheva is a really great training mob. You can see the rules in action, the results are replicatable.

Keep in mind that these rules only apply to pre-PoP mobs. AE rampage is a whole different beast.

http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1679

This was posted in 2003 though, so not sure if its useful? Anyway, figured I'd throw it here just in case.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 12:01 PM
So rampage is a full round of melee, including offhand. Would prefer some logs to support this. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

And I'm still also assuming Flurry is only an extra mainhand round, and not a full quad (Mobs would hit 8 times at once during a flurry if that was the case).

Daldaen
03-04-2014, 12:47 PM
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War was hit by non-melee for 79 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 659 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War was hit by non-melee for 79 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 929 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War executes a FLURRY of attacks on Jrel!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War tries to hit YOU, but misses!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War tries to hit YOU, but YOU dodge!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War bashes YOU for 255 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 344 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] Pain and suffering tries to strike YOU, but misses!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] You died.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 929 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 299 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War hits YOU for 389 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] The Avatar of War tries to kick YOU, but YOU parry!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:26 2002] You have been healed for 385 points of damage.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:27 2002] Pain and suffering tries to strike YOU, but misses!
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:27 2002] You died.
[Wed Apr 03 22:14:28 2002] Returning to home point, please wait...

That shows 2 main hands and a bash?

Rogean
03-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Avatar of War is a bad example. His normal attack timer can trigger twice in one second.

Rogean
03-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Also.. You died twice? Bad log.

Daldaen
03-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Was from an EQCleric heal bug thread so yea. Was best I could find from era :/.

Nerosys
03-04-2014, 12:57 PM
So rampage is a full round of melee, including offhand. Would prefer some logs to support this. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

And I'm still also assuming Flurry is only an extra mainhand round, and not a full quad (Mobs would hit 8 times at once during a flurry if that was the case).

I have never had more than 1 rampage message hitting me ever not sure if this is what you are asking for. i will try and find some old logs not very hopeful though. mainhand attack only unless it somehow adds them both into 1 hit.

Treats
03-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Information I wouldn't mind people posting facts for though:

When getting rampaged, how many times did the mob hit you? Was it just a primary hand attack (two hits with double attack), or offhand attacks as well (Quad)?

And for Flurries, I'm pretty sure based on most information I've seen, that flurries were an additional primary hand round (including double attack).

That's currently how they are coded and it will take strong evidence to change it.

Rampage/Flurry - depends on if NPC dual wielded or not

Dual wield - chance for 4 attacks plus kick/bash
Non Dual wield - chance for 2 attacks plus kick/bash

Same for Flurry

It does not hit multiple targets until AE Rampage in Planes of Power.

It does not require the mob to be facing the Rampage target.

It does go beyond melee range, possibly melee range x2.

These facts are set and I'm not interested in any information regarding them.

Please see my previous post for information I currently need evidence to support.

The AE Rampage that was added in Planes of Power had a range to target. There is NO range on regular Rampage, NPC can hit you anywhere in the zone. The only way to get off the Rampage list or avoid being Rampaged is to zone, memblur, or die. Camping is not possible.

10 in a round is possible with kick/bash. This is why you needed some super shit for your tanks back in the day on AoW, otherwise they'd just end up getting "one rounded" by him.

Daldaen
03-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Fantastic and all, but I think Rogean is looking for evidence in era.

He raided up til the most recent few expansions as a tank. He knows how rampage works. He just wants proof IE log or screenshots from back then.

Aeolwind
03-06-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.thesteelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1679

This was posted in 2003 though, so not sure if its useful? Anyway, figured I'd throw it here just in case.

This is the best written example I've seen and mimics most of what I remember. We used the WL zone line to fix ramp tank order on Tormax.

Mac Dretti
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
How does a zoneline fix rampage order?

Also I thought to tormax and guards ran at like selo speed how you pull that so far

Daldaen
03-06-2014, 02:16 PM
By utilizing geometry and no they don't run at selos speed.

The Tormax script is completely trivialized due to the ability to pull him. If you had to fight him in his room it would be way more challenging.

Zone line fixed it because you drop off the list when you zone. If someone who you don't want is on the list, they zone out and in. Repeat until person you want on Rampage is on Rampage.

Mac Dretti
03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
But zoning shouldn't clear list according to this

Some Rampage info:

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21 originally posted at the Safehouse, copied to evilgamer.

Contrary to the Aggro list, the order in rampage list is NOT modifiable, even if you zone, camp out, die, when you will come back in melee range and attack, you will be back at your spot in the rampage list, and be rampaged again if it's your turn.

- FAQ:
Q: What happens if Tank2 dies, or gets out of melee range?
A: The mob will pick the next person on his rampage list (Cleric1 in this exemple)

Q: I am on rampage but not supposed to be, what do I do?
A: Run out of the mob's melee range

Q: But I am a cleric and I will be out of range for CH if I do that.
A: Run out of range anyway and ask someone to replace you asap. You will die if you don't run out of range. You will still be able to do long range heals, heal other people running to camp for a heal, etc

Q: Would it be possible to send in 3 or 4 warriors for the first rampage proc so a cleric isnt rampaged if one warr dies ?
A: Yes certainly, let's say you want Tank1, Tank2, Tank3, Tank4, Tank5 on rampage list, in this order. All you have to do is have them all shoot arrows before the first rampage. Make Tank1 shoot 100 arrows, Tank2 50, Tank3 25 , Tank4 10, Tank5 1 arrow. And you will have an aggro list in this order once the first rampage happens, and the rampage list will be the same order.

Q: Or would that make the mob rampage more than just 2 ppl ?
A: No, it would still be Two targets max.

Endurance
03-06-2014, 08:02 PM
This is hardly the place for this conversation, however to clarify. I know nothing about pulling Tmax to zone line to set rampage, you pull him to zone line in order to split him from his guards.

I am sure you will see it done in the future.

Daldaen
03-06-2014, 08:55 PM
But zoning shouldn't clear list according to this

Dunno how much I believe that. That is the first time I've ever heard of rampage being such a rigid list. Zoning, Death, and Fade/FD always reset your position in the list until you reaggroed the mob.

It is from Luclin era (that quote)... and clearly if you've read this forum, anything from Luclin must die by fire.

Rogean
03-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Also considering the technical aspects of maintaining a rampage list that persists through zoning, means that the list would have to be tracking by Character ID or Name. I find it highly unlikely that any form of rampage would have been coded like that, instead of using entity ID's or pointers.