PDA

View Full Version : Am I getting in over my head?

adune
03-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Hello, I recently downloaded and setup everything to connect to the Project 1999 server! I am an avid fan and player of a multitude of different MMOs, however, I have never played Everquest. I know this seems pretty bizarre, but I just simply missed the EQ train. Ironically enough, now that I've grown bored with most "modern" MMOs it seems that the EQ is the most appealing to my more mature play-style. I watched a few "let's play" videos on Youtube about Project 1999 and that sold me on the idea. I am a bit worried that, due to EQ's learning curve, I may be getting in a bit over my head? I played for a few levels (7-8) on live EQ before connecting to P1999 so I have the most basic of EQ knowledge. I know live has severely changed compared to this server, but I want the challenge without all the F2P stuff being constantly shoved in my face.

All that said, are there any general startup guides for EQ that are pertinent to the version that P99 uses? I know there's many new player EQ guides on the internet but it's hard to even know which of them would most pertain to the version of EQ on the server. I'd appreciate any advice you can give a newbie, and any tips that can keep from me scaring myself off before breaking into the learning curve!

P.S. - Kind of a small question, but I was watching some older YT videos about P99 and the player pulled up a map in game. However, I've noticed when I try to do it now it says that maps are disabled on the server. Is that a new change? If so, how would I best go about traversing this intimidating world with no prior knowledge? Any help is appreciated.

Khatilly
03-06-2014, 10:50 PM
my first suggestion would be to find a class that you are comfortable with. for a new player maybe Magician or Necro. Once you read the wiki for your class and decide race. Find the wiki page for your starting city. This should point you to your newbie grounds.

As far as the world as a whole without a map. Really the best advice I can give is to plan your adventures and read on the zones before you go. The wiki page for each zone should have a map that you can refer to help you through the game.

Even after playing as long as I have I still alt tab to check the map.

*hugs* and welcome to project1999. I hope you enjoy it and have lots of fun

Nefarum
03-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Everquest can seem overwhelming and extremely unforgiving at first, but that's the exact reason that makes it more rewarding and fun in the end. Actions have real consequences, loot is hard to obtain, and you end up forming relationships with others to overcome these challenges and feel a real sense of accomplishment.

TLDR: Stick with it, it's awesome. And ask for help. And read the wiki as much as you can.

Asap
03-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Let me provide you a few links;

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Newbie

http://wiki.project1999.com/Dumbledorf%27s_Norrath_in_a_Nutshell:_A_Beginner%2 7s_Guide

and pretty much this entire page

http://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

Weltmacht
03-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Welcome to the server-- and, well, EverQuest in general (at least the way it should be!)

My advice to you would be to play as blind as possible. You would do well to stay away from most sites for a time. Don't get me wrong, the wiki is absolutely fantastic, but it would benefit you so much more by learning organically, in game (and here's the real kicker, the reason why you should be playing here in the first place) along with other people. You'll come out the better for it in the end, are more likely to appreciate and enjoy the journey, and less likely to develop pixel lust.

The only questions you should really be asking yourself at this point pertain to class and role: what would you like to spend the next potentially 60 levels doing? There's a refreshing amount of class differentiation in classic eq, however nuanced it might appear at first.

So, what role are you most interested in fulfilling?

Faerie
03-06-2014, 11:55 PM
You should play the the PvP server- we'll learn ya good ;)

Somekid123
03-06-2014, 11:58 PM
Been involved in Pro99 since beta, along with Red99 since release. My suggestion is do not start Red99 new to EQ, definitely learn the spells / classes / races / zones before you even consider Red99. Community here can be ruthless at times, as much as I'd rather disagree with that.

Welcome to EQ!

adune
03-07-2014, 05:36 AM
Wow, thanks for all of the great responses! I think the point I'm getting is that I should just attack the game as if it were 1999 and get my ass kicked around a bit, hah.

As for class, I did a tiny bit of reading and I have somewhat decided on Enchanter because I read that they are very wanted in groups for mezzing and that they progressively get better at soloing when at 60 they're arguably the best at soloing mobs. The fact that they're also a caster/nuker (probably what I'd want to play as my first character, something easy to solo my first few levels to get started) makes this class really appealing. I know the Necro gets raved about for its solo ability but I really want to provide something unique to any groups I eventually come to play with.

Am I wrong about any of this? I suppose I'll launch into game and check out the wiki for the starting area, maybe find a map and print it off (I gotta admit that's really cool to think about for an MMO).

Weltmacht
03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Enc would be a good starting choice for a number of reasons, yes. They're easier/cheaper to gear, have excellent options for solo, group, and duo/trio, and their playstyle is probably the most unique among about any mmo that you likely played. Just be aware that you won't be much of a fireball-slingin' wizard, but instead more of an instigating bully between mobs, pulling some strings and watching (and, hopefully, eventually even controlling) the ensuing carnage.

Get the bare minimum basics down and then baptize yourself by fire. Chat with your groupmates and tell them you're new. You'll likely be amazed at the warm reception and amount of coaching you're sure to receive. If you ever happen to require some more time-sensitive answers (say, your group is all about to die and you only have mana left for a single spell oh the humanity) then feel free to send me a tell on Devourment.

Best of luck out there, sir.

Clark
03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
You'll be alright there's a vast amount of information, guides, and people willing to share knowledge.

Welcome to the server. :) Remember EC tunnel buffs 1-20!

Growlers
03-07-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm jealous, to be fresh to EQ...... How exciting!

Agecroft
03-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Hello, I recently downloaded and setup everything to connect to the Project 1999 server! I am an avid fan and player of a multitude of different MMOs, however, I have never played Everquest. I know this seems pretty bizarre, but I just simply missed the EQ train. Ironically enough, now that I've grown bored with most "modern" MMOs it seems that the EQ is the most appealing to my more mature play-style. I watched a few "let's play" videos on Youtube about Project 1999 and that sold me on the idea. I am a bit worried that, due to EQ's learning curve, I may be getting in a bit over my head? I played for a few levels (7-8) on live EQ before connecting to P1999 so I have the most basic of EQ knowledge. I know live has severely changed compared to this server, but I want the challenge without all the F2P stuff being constantly shoved in my face.

All that said, are there any general startup guides for EQ that are pertinent to the version that P99 uses? I know there's many new player EQ guides on the internet but it's hard to even know which of them would most pertain to the version of EQ on the server. I'd appreciate any advice you can give a newbie, and any tips that can keep from me scaring myself off before breaking into the learning curve!

P.S. - Kind of a small question, but I was watching some older YT videos about P99 and the player pulled up a map in game. However, I've noticed when I try to do it now it says that maps are disabled on the server. Is that a new change? If so, how would I best go about traversing this intimidating world with no prior knowledge? Any help is appreciated.

Pretty envious situation. Would be awesome to go back and rediscover everything!

Khurzan
03-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't be afraid to ask players in game. Thats how we did it back in the day. :)

Rhambuk
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Pretty envious situation. Would be awesome to go back and rediscover everything!

Obwin
03-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Jealous! Hardest part is finding your way around early on.

Freeport, Qeynos, cabilis and misty thicket have very newb friendly zones. Don't forget there are maps on the wiki!

What did you end up starting? On EQ live I played a few classes to mid teens before settling on enchanter which I loved (later re rolled to a war for velious raiding)

Fett
03-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Wow, thanks for all of the great responses! I think the point I'm getting is that I should just attack the game as if it were 1999 and get my ass kicked around a bit, hah.

As for class, I did a tiny bit of reading and I have somewhat decided on Enchanter because I read that they are very wanted in groups for mezzing and that they progressively get better at soloing when at 60 they're arguably the best at soloing mobs. The fact that they're also a caster/nuker (probably what I'd want to play as my first character, something easy to solo my first few levels to get started) makes this class really appealing. I know the Necro gets raved about for its solo ability but I really want to provide something unique to any groups I eventually come to play with.

Am I wrong about any of this? I suppose I'll launch into game and check out the wiki for the starting area, maybe find a map and print it off (I gotta admit that's really cool to think about for an MMO).

Enchanter is a crowd control class, EQ breaks the holy trinity rule a little bit (Tank/DPS/Heal) and has a dedicated crowd control class, which is the enchanter. You're also a bit of a buffer class. While the enchanter does do some damage, that is not the main focus, so be prepared if that is the role you want to play.

I would recommend playing whatever class sounds the most enjoyable to you, regardless of it's "groupability" or what have you. Some classes are defintely more suited to solo play, if that's what you're looking for.This is Everquest however, and grouping is a lot of what makes this game enjoyable. You'll will get groups with any class however.

Gadwen
03-07-2014, 01:22 PM
You aren't getting in over your head, EQ really isn't a hard game. It takes a lot of time and it has some quirks that you only really learn through playing, but the beauty of EQ is that all the mechanics are relatively simple. This is definitely a game where accumulating knowledge and dedicating time outweigh any mechanical skill on the players end.

I would suggest reading through some of the class guides on the wiki, not only the class you are playing either...you want to get a handle on how other classes are played so you can perform well in a group.

Fifield
03-07-2014, 02:30 PM
im super jelous of this guy as well, the P99 experience is great however back on release first logging into EQ... man oh man!

I think picking enchanter is a great choice, your wanted in groups and not playing a class that is so gear required to start like a melee would be!

Welcome to EQ I hope you enjoy it

ceesed
03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
I recently started playing (~1 month) here in the exact same situation as you. For some reason never tried EQ but started MMOs shortly after. Being generally unhappy with everything out there right now I decided to jump in and try this.

I read through the guides posted on this thread and then just jumped in. Its been well worth it and I would recommend sticking with it. It took me probably a week to get comfortable.

But really the community is fantastic. I have not had a bad group yet and people seem really willing to help answer noob questions. Hell on my cleric I was just given a bag of gear for free. Granted it wasn't anything super special but I can't tell you how much that meant. On the only other toon I've played any high level that ever passes me usually stops and buffs without even asking. Little things like that really make me smile and is something you just don't see in newer games.

Granted I'm sure there are warts but so far this has brought me right back to when I first started playing games of this genre and it has been a riot.

Good luck and keep at it! Remember to log for a while if something frustrating happens. I'll never forget dinging a new spell level only to lose the level and access to the spells right away dieing. About went through the roof when that happened but in retrospect it taught me a lesson and created a memory.

BigHurb
03-07-2014, 03:06 PM
there is a third party app which will read your log file.

you bind /loc to a movement key, the program parses the file, and outputs your location to the map overlay

not against rules since it reads log files fyi everyone

lecompte
03-07-2014, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the server! Enchanter is a great class with a lot of versatility, takes an adventureous soul to take full advantage but you are starting up for the first time on P99... gotta be adventureous? RIGHT?

Fifield
03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
there is a third party app which will read your log file.

you bind /loc to a movement key, the program parses the file, and outputs your location to the map overlay

not against rules since it reads log files fyi everyone

maps....who needs them

Aelzrith
03-07-2014, 05:21 PM
Explore. Adventure. Make friends.

Use the wiki sparingly when starting off. The most exciting part of the game is being afraid of what's around the next corner. You can't re-create that. We all wish we could.

As for begging for buffs in East Commons from 1-20, that's weak. If you want to play with cheat codes, this is basically like that.

Starting areas off the beaten path (Qeynos / Faydark / Cabilis areas) will provide more of a classic feel than EC.

Akuma
03-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Explore. Adventure. Make friends.

Use the wiki sparingly when starting off. The most exciting part of the game is being afraid of what's around the next corner. You can't re-create that. We all wish we could.

As for begging for buffs in East Commons from 1-20, that's weak. If you want to play with cheat codes, this is basically like that.

Starting areas off the beaten path (Qeynos / Faydark / Cabilis areas) will provide more of a classic feel than EC.

"cheat codes"

Gimmie a break.