PDA

View Full Version : Oasis Sand Giants?

Tankdan
03-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Why is there such a presence of SG/Cazel in Oasis in p99 compared to classic?

Or did my observation of classic differ greatly from yours?

I dont remember seeing a SG walk by every 60 sec, or Cazel visit Dock every 2 mins, back then.

Danth
03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Cazel does that because outdoor pathing isn't exactly the same on P1999 as it was on Live. This is an emulator, not a copy of the original code, and as such there are some differences.

Danth

Nirgon
03-11-2014, 02:02 PM
There's I think 20+ possible SG spawns.

Try leaving SGs up and killing all the other mobs in the zone.

Should get a ton of them up, Fansy-style (obviously like this on live).

Lamil
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
I heard people in Oasis complaining about SG's wiping their Orc highway groups last night. There were 43 people in Oasis last night so I'm guessing it has to do with Nirgon's post about 20+ possible spawns.

phacemeltar
03-11-2014, 04:09 PM
There's I think 20+ possible SG spawns.

Try leaving SGs up and killing all the other mobs in the zone.

Should get a ton of them up, Fansy-style (obviously like this on live).

same should apply for HGs, but does not seem to be the case

Fett
03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
I heard people in Oasis complaining about SG's wiping their Orc highway groups last night. There were 43 people in Oasis last night so I'm guessing it has to do with Nirgon's post about 20+ possible spawns.

There seemed to be about 4 or 5 plus cazel spawned at the same time last night. Usually I only notice 1 or 2 (plus possibly cazel). It seems to be luck of the draw.

Tankdan
03-11-2014, 09:40 PM
I understand that this is an emulation and not a perfect replica. But it seems like there has to be a better solution than letting the multiple SGs run rampant in a historic and mostly level 12-20 zone. Has the zone been like this always here? Is it a design limitation issue, or what? Seems like a big issue to simply move on from.

Babizul
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Have you tried not allowing the sand giants kill you?

Vladesch
03-11-2014, 11:47 PM
FWIW I've never been bothered by them in the SE part of the zone.

Sarajo
03-12-2014, 12:26 AM
I hate when I'm charming them to fight each other and some 59 sorcerer shows up and grabs a few then some 42 SK starts fear-kiting them one by one(they die before I can bard-run around the lake)
So sometimes hours go by and you can't find a single Sand Giant (other than Cazel)

Hey, speaking of Cazel: The other day, he was a cyclops. Isn't he normally a beard-o?
Also speaking of Cazel, if you're 50+, kill him. He'll drop candy or something. Do the you-of-the-past a favor and score some vengeance.

Aborath
03-12-2014, 12:41 AM

Probably something to do with the fact that there's a SG who spawns ON orc highway.

Buns
03-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Yeah, I remember in classic that the dock was a safe spot to be, and there were usually lots of people sitting there. If things went wrong on the orc highway, people would often run to the docks to get saved.

On P1999, the docks is a graveyard and Cazel is always standing there.

falkun
03-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Hey, speaking of Cazel: The other day, he was a cyclops. Isn't he normally a beard-o?
Also speaking of Cazel, if you're 50+, kill him. He'll drop candy or something. Do the you-of-the-past a favor and score some vengeance.

If a necro casts ignite bones (http://wiki.project1999.com/Ignite_Bones) on Cazel, he will be a cyclops when he comes out of skeleton form.

Cazel also has very high HP regen, making him a bit more difficult to solo than your average level 51.

Saphrin
03-12-2014, 06:55 PM
I have a great screenshot from Kane Bayle server up of 10+ sand giants in one area in Oasis. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

loramin
03-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I understand that this is an emulation and not a perfect replica. But it seems like there has to be a better solution than letting the multiple SGs run rampant in a historic and mostly level 12-20 zone. Has the zone been like this always here? Is it a design limitation issue, or what? Seems like a big issue to simply move on from.

The people that make this server have made it very clear: their goal is to re-create the classic experience as best as possible. But of course they're human and working with limited information, so they obviously don't get always things right at first ... but that doesn't mean they don't want to get it right.

Here's what you can do to help them, and the entire server for that matter: file a bug (in the bug forum). If you can find any "evidence" that will really help. For instance, maybe there's some old thread from the Druid's Grove sitting on the Wayback machine where a druid who was soloing SGs wrote "I never see more than 2 or 3 up at a time", or maybe you can find five different Alakhazam comments (from the old days) all saying that the docks are a safe spot.

With a bit of Googling you can likely find that sort of evidence, and then include it in your bug report. If you do the devs are very ikely to fix the problem (on their own timeline of course), and eventually P99 will get less Sand Giants and a safe docks ... if that really is how things were on live in the classic era.

utenan
03-12-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18290&highlight=sand+giant+spawns

"Oasis of Marr: Many of the roaming npcs in the dunes should have a low % chance of spawning a sand giant. " as of Feb 17 2013 patch.

Also let me just say that this is the kind of stuff that made Everquest so great. Having some high level mobs in lower areas made you be careful and think and mind your surroundings ( you can hear their loud footsteps and they are also, uh, HUGE. ) You learned fast that Norrath was a dangerous place and that there were risks and rewards even in lower zones. They also gave you something to strive for. I remember seeing the occasional higher level person killing giants or spectres and I couldn't wait to get to that level. There's actually a legitimate reason to come back to the zone at higher levels too, be it for exp, money or revenge ( this is something modern games never do, or even classic WoW, I mean did you ever go back to, Redridge Mountains after level 20? NO! ). Sand Giants are one of the many things that made this game feel like such an adventure and if you look deep down, I think you'll find a Sand Giant in all of our hearts.

Gaffin 7.0
03-12-2014, 09:12 PM
cazel pathing to dock every 10 mins not classic, have to agree with the others. docks was always a safe spot for the most part

Nirgon
03-12-2014, 09:24 PM
I've seen Cazel fear kited here. Not sure if you could do that on live. Not bothering the bugs section till things settle down Velious-wise.

drktmplr12
03-13-2014, 08:18 AM

I wish this upon no one.