PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is the beginner guide on the wiki?

porigromus
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Is this accurate information from the beginner's guide on the wiki?

Stamina

Stamina affects how many hit points you have and how long you can hold your breath. The number of hit points gained from increasing this statistic varies by class; warriors gain more than knights, knights more than casters, and so on. The stat is especially important for tanks. While HP is important for all classes, casters (who get minimal returns from STA) might be better served by putting points into a different stat and then getting HP gear. Melee DPS classes may consider this stat of some importance as they are directly on the front line, even if they aren't the one being focused by monsters.

Note for End game Raiders: Do not add a lot of points if plan to raid a lot in Velious because once you have high end gear with buffs & bard songs, this stat is easily maxed at 255. If you are a caster and plan to raid a lot in Velious you may want to try to up this close to 100 as you do not easily max stamina as a caster with high end velious gear. HP is very important to absorbing boss AE's and not dying. In Kunark, STA is not as easy to max as STR.

Overall Recommendations for selection You can see recommendations for every race/class combination on the relevant class pages on this Wiki, there is a lot of info on how to balance your stats out there. However, once velious is released if you plan to raid you will generally want to go against the grain and not try to pump up your main stat because that is the one that is most easily maxed. It is recommend to create a very balanced character otherwise you will be staring at your stats fully buffed while raiding velious wishing you had put stat points somewhere else on character creation

Druid, Shaman, Cleric -> While, wisdom is typically recommend here; if you plan to raid and play end game content an argument can also be made to try to get your stamina close to equaling your wisdom because wisdom is easily maxed in velious. Stamina will help you eat AoE's from bosses

Magician, Wizard, Necromancer -> While, wisdom is typically recommend here; if you plan to raid and play end game content an argument can also be made to try to get your stamina close to equaling your intelligence because intelligenc is easily maxed in velious. Stamina will help you eat AoE's from bosses

Warrior, SK, Paladin -> Stamina is key, though warriors with high base stamina (e.g. ogres) may want to consider dexterity and Agility. Dexterity is especially important for warriors since weapon procs are one of the major ways they build aggro on a monster. Agility can help attacks miss you when mobs are attacking you. If you plan to raid end game mobs, it is best to balance strength, stamina, agility, and dexterity because stats can be maxed easily in velious.

Monk, Rogue, Ranger -> Strength and stamina are the big ones. Agility and Dexterity can be useful as well. If you plan to raid end game mobs, it is best to balance strength, stamina, agility, and dexterity because stats can be maxed easily in velious.

Enchanter - > While Charisma, and Intelligence are both important here; if you plan to raid end game mobs, it is best to balance Intelligence, Charisma, and Stamina because stats can be maxed easily in velious.

Bard - > Charisma, Stamina, and Dexterity are all useful. Try to create a good balance. Stamina is lesser of the three, but raise it some if it is low.

So for a new player wanting to min/max, would he best to try to follow this guide? Ex. Cleric - points in stamina, rogue - level out agility, dex, stam, str?

Estu
03-18-2014, 08:38 AM
I've never played Velious content, but I've heard from a lot of people that stats max out really fast with high-end Velious gear. The only thing is people almost never recommend putting points into agility since it's widely agreed upon to be mostly useless. However, if all your important stats are going to get maxed anyway, an argument might be made.

Juhstin
03-18-2014, 09:13 AM
I've never played Velious content, but I've heard from a lot of people that stats max out really fast with high-end Velious gear. The only thing is people almost never recommend putting points into agility since it's widely agreed upon to be mostly useless. However, if all your important stats are going to get maxed anyway, an argument might be made.

Correct,

Its still best to just go by the recommended starting stat allocation given by the wiki as well. While you'd max out all important stats in Velious the odds you get all the gear relatively fast are nearly impossible so I personally wouldn't recommend banking on the idea your stats will be maxxed as it will still take quite some time to get to that.

Supaskillz
03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Starting stats mean not much. In your example clr mostly care about wis for larger mana pool, but at the top it's easy to cap wis so sta gives you a few extra hp. Rogues mostly care about str to improve dps, but again easy to max with high end gear and sta will give you extra hp. Dex doesn't really elo rogues unless you want to use procs and draw aggro..

porigromus
03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
I guess when it comes down to it, 20 points in a starting stat isn't going to win or lose a fight. Maybe the better option would be a DnD perspective and build your stats based on the character's personality if you are into RP. :D

porigromus
03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Starting stats mean not much. In your example clr mostly care about wis for larger mana pool, but at the top it's easy to cap wis so sta gives you a few extra hp. Rogues mostly care about str to improve dps, but again easy to max with high end gear and sta will give you extra hp. Dex doesn't really elo rogues unless you want to use procs and draw aggro..

I have read someone make a case for putting points in Wisdom even though it is easily capped. Their reasoning was after capping wis you can focus on + hp gear instead which is better than stamina.
I do not know how true that is come Velious, maybe even after putting points in stamina you still have plenty of wis to find +hp gear.