PDA

View Full Version : *Tiptoes in*

Sparkling
03-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi!

I've only just discovered this server. Looking to experience that long lost feeling that I once had when playing EQ back in 2001. Always the latecomer to the game it seems. But hopeful to find some new friends here. Really looking forward to the experience. First I have to figure out how to get it set up though.

I've logged in to EQ Live a few times, but the new restrictions on top of all the numerous expansions were just too much. I guess free to play restrictions might be ok for people who never experienced the full game before, but I know what it used to be like and it just isn't fun now that it's crippled. And none of my old friends play any more, so there's nothing to really keep me there. And not many people want to make new friends there it seems like. They're all 4-boxing with Mercs so that they don't need to play with real people any more. It's lost that magic that we had when you had to play with real people.

I'm hoping to find some new friends here. I'm very busy, so I'm never going to be able to play 4 hours a day like I used to before. I'm a Homeschooling Mom, and an indie game developer, and sometimes I pretend I'm a writer (particularly during November). So there are lots of things pulling at my time and attention. But I would kind of like to find a place to escape and relax once in a while if possible. Maybe this will be the place?

God bless you,
-Sparkling

khanable
03-20-2014, 03:25 PM
I didn't sneeze

but thanks!

and welcome etc

Whirled
03-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Welcome to the server!

I'm only a few months here myself & it has been quite a RE-learning experience too. There's plenty of other casual players out there in different time zones that will gladly group up ((or understand if you have to bail out ASAP)). I'm Eastern time zone and play some evenings & weekends. Hope the de-stressing works for you as well as it does for myself.

Lyra
03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Welcome Sparkling!

Pretty sure you're going to love the server.

If you run into difficulty with set up, you may PM me asking for the directions a friend originally sent to me.

See you in game soon!

Lyrith
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the Server! If you can read and follow instructions it's not very hard to get running on this server. It can look a little over whelming, but don't let it get to you. Also people in the game are A LOT nicer than on the forums typically.

Glad you finally made it back home! =)

Sparkling
03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm having trouble with step 1, actually. The step that says "Install TITANIUM edition"

I have Gold edition. I have original Kunark. I have original Velious. I have original Luclin. I have original LDON. I have original POP. I have original GOD. I have spent LOTS of money on EQ over the years. I do not however have "Titanium Edition". Searched the web and saw that it is available for the bargain price of $89 on Amazon and $79 on Ebay. Can't afford that. I saw some people suggest renting Titanium edition, but there is no where around here to rent games, so I don't think that will work for me.

If I could get past the "Install this obscure edition" of the game step of the process, I think I could probably figure the rest out. LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome! So encouraging to see so many people hop on to my thread so fast!

Raavak
03-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Titanium source revealed (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73460)

and

here (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135528)

Sparkling
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
LOL yes I saw the Captain Jack Sparrow thread already. :) Thanks. Was hoping for a cleaner source. Or an alternative installation option... like maybe one of the half a dozen other copies I already have on my desk here that I dug out of the dust heap! :)

lecompte
03-20-2014, 03:58 PM
...an indie game developer, and sometimes I pretend I'm a writer (particularly during November).

God bless you,
-Sparkling

O rly? Tell me moreeeeeee.

God? Surely you mean the greatest god, Karana.

Karana Bless You,
Lecompte

loramin
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Welcome!

and sometimes I pretend I'm a writer (particularly during November)
NaNoWriMo? Been meaning to try that myself.

Was hoping for a cleaner source. Or an alternative installation option... like maybe one of the half a dozen other copies I already have on my desk here that I dug out of the dust heap! :)

P99 is specifically designed to work with Titanium, and Titanium only (there used to be another client that worked, but I'm pretty sure it's not supported anymore). You have to understand that, in order to make P99 as close as possible to the original Everquest the developers have to patch the client code to undo SOE's "improvements". Supporting any client other Titanium would require them to have to do that patch work all over again.

As for a cleaner source, the only other source I know of is EBay, and that will set you back $50+ (and take awhile to arrive). But here's why you shouldn't feel bad about Jack Sparrow-ing it:

1. You already paid for this software (in fact, it sounds like you paid multiple times)
2. SOE can not make any money off this software (so you're not "stealing" anything from them)
3. SOE has all but said "rock on P99; we've got better things to do than sue people over a 15 year old game, just as long as you don't make money off it" (obviously, for legal reasons, they didn't say it quite like that, but that was the gist)
4. All the cool kids (ie. just about everyone of the 1000+ players on this server) have done it, and as long as you go with the most popular Jack Sparrow link (the one with the most seeds) you know the download is safe.

Sparkling
03-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Yes, NaNoWriMo. :) I've won the NaNo challenge the last 3 years in a row, though this last year was particularly rough on a personal level and I just barely squeaked in my 50k words. I have been working on a series of books. I submitted my first novel in the series to the Amazon ABNA contest but failed at round 1 with the 300 word "Pitch".

@Lecompte Dusang what specifically did you want to know? About my writing or game development?

lecompte
03-20-2014, 04:44 PM
NaNoWriMo... Nationwide November Writing Month?

Game development. And writing.

Sparkling
03-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Na = National
No = Novel
Wri = Writers
Mo = Month

I failed my first year, then won the next 3 years.

I have been making games with a volunteer team since 2003. We made a game called Chariots that was released in 2008. I also made a card game called Messiah, a Pint&Play board game called Treasures in Heaven, an Elvish language ap called Pedich Edhellen, and our flagship project that we're still working on is Visions. Visions is a Christian MMORPG set in the ancient Roman empire during the time of the early church. Players will experience life as a Roman citizen, learn a profession, and complete quests. We've experienced 5 engine changes, and finally have an engine that can handle the seamless zones and the massive world that I have designed. We've made many breakthroughs and hit new milestones with the Bigworld engine that we've never accomplished before. It's slow going with a volunteer team, but we're starting to get some of the functionality working that we've wanted, and it's starting to get fun. It does keep me busy but I've learned a lot while doing this. I primarily work on the design, the art, and the worldbuilding. I'm not really a programmer, but I can copy-paste-modify Python scripts when absolutely necessary. Thanks for asking! :)

wdavid78
03-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Yup. SOE has already made their bajillions of dollars selling all these products to me. I didn't even feel the tiniest twinge of guilt (which normally, I would) when using the Sparrow method.

Grimfan
03-21-2014, 02:09 PM
If you've bought the games already then I'm pretty sure it's perfectly legal to just download the game. Installing it is really easy off of ISO's and it is basically the same process as putting in the game discs themselves. I hope you make it into the game, the server is really great.

Sparkling
03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Yes I have 17 of the 19 expansions (I think, kinda lost count). I've definitely bought the games. :) Some of the expansions were download only expansions though so I don't have discs for them. Just wish the EMU would work with the Gold pack, because I have the Gold box. :) Had to be the one I didn't get. LOL Thank you all so much for your encouraging words!