PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be new player: a dilemma!

Erydan Ouragan
04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Hello to all! :)

Firstly, the introduction. I started to play MMOs in 2002, the first being everquest, early luclin. I quit just before Gates of Discord in 2004. Despite playing WoW for about 8 years, my heart and my mind still goes back to the very powerful memories of EQ. I went back a couple weeks ago, but it's not the same. Then, i heard of Project 1999. I ordered a used copy of Titanium from ebay and it's on the way now, but before starting, i have a dilemma and would like your opinion.

Basically it boils down to this: Shaman or Cleric?

My normal playtime is from midnight to 5am, EST during the week. Evenings and nights during the week-ends. This is way past prime time, so groups will most likely not always be an option. Therefore, shaman would be the logical choice due to solo abilities and very strong duo combinations, like grouping with a monk/necro/mage/whatever.

However, i read the forums a bit and discovered that one of the best healing spell for shamans, torpor, sells for 130-180k on the server. I'm very bad with money in games because i spend my time helping people instead of farming and playing the market, so i will probably be very poor, all the time. So unless i'm really lucky and it drops AND i win it, i would have to function without it.

So then i thought about being a cleric. I've been a healer for the past 7 years in WoW and i absolutely love it. After checking p99 wiki, i noticed that the core healing/buff spells for clerics are obtained from vendors, so that's a huge plus! But then, i thought that playing past prime time would be very difficult as a cleric. I guess i could solo undeads but that's about it.

Then there's the class demands. I've also read on the forums that there's a lot of shamans, are clerics needed more? At 60, can i main heal easily as a shaman without torpor and "ok" gear? I don't think i will do high-end raiding at 60, mostly because of my playing schedule, so i'll do mostly groups and duo/trio.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, looking forward to see the responses :)

Nocsucow
04-04-2014, 01:04 AM
ok what ever you learned in WoW just forget about it ... this is not WoW so dont base youre healer skills off that weak ass MMO..... since its youre first char i would make a solo class/ pet class to lvl easy that way you can farm plat/gear for the real class you want to play

Magrim
04-04-2014, 01:06 AM
You could probably play a druid good solo, good buffs, not as useful end game i heard because it's a hybrid class but that's my two cents.

Laugher
04-04-2014, 01:48 AM
Torpor is pretty nice but I still think of clerics as the true MH

Shamans do get all those buffs dots etc. though, and canni still keeps their lvl 53 heal happening more often than a druid could just medding/healing

In the chain of demand with healing classes being healers I think it goes druid<shaman<cleric, but as a healer youd at least be a priority while lfg even if you are on in off hours.

skorge
04-04-2014, 08:36 AM
you have a good point, about Torpor, but then again that's a level 60 spell, and you never know how the market is going to be when you hit 60, it could go up or down in value or stay about the same....the main difference between the shaman and cleric is the shaman will be able to farm alot better in the end, but the cleric should be able to get groups easier

in the end, pick the class that is most fun to you and don't worry about anything else, you will be fine without torpor as a shaman, if that's what it comes down to and you really want to play a shaman

drktmplr12
04-04-2014, 11:43 AM
ok what ever you learned in WoW just forget about it ... this is not WoW so dont base youre healer skills off that weak ass MMO.....

he said he played everquest from luclin through gates of discord. im sure he is aware that it isn't wow.