PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All - Returning Vet

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Greetings folks,

Returning Aussie Vet thought I would drop by, say g'day and post some random thoughts. I'm currently waiting for the postman to deliver Titanium ;) and should be in game within a day or two. Brand new, fresh and excited all over again.

I'm a middle aged father of 2 looking to relive some of the old EQ days. I have enough time on my hands, but am timezone challenged.

I'm really frustrated by todays games and can't seem to get seriously into any of them. A month or two here or there seems to be enough for most of them, then I just start dreaming of the old days again and EQ. I think I'm done with TESO already.

I've played EQ for many years on and off. Started on Luclin server, moved to Stormhammer ? (was that Legends ?), had a bit of a go on Fippy for some months a few years back before being disillusioned by 6 boxers perma camping the best items and mobs, and spent a lot of time on Test.

90 Mage/Shaman combo on test were probly my highest, think I had an SK to about 80 there also. Mage was my original main. Have played "some" Druid/Cleric/Enchanter/Ranger over the years to varying levels.

If I may, I'll ask a few questions and any advice would be much appreciated.

1. How is the population on the server from say 4am ET to 10am ET ?
2. Are there many Aussie/Oceanic/Asian guilds ?
3. I have read through some of the guild recruitment messages regarding what classes are needed etc and not much seems to have changed in a lot of ways. Would anybody like to give us a guide on how each class is percieved in the old world on this server ? I would like to play something different but I want to be able to group also if possible clearly. I'd like feedback on all classes if anybody would like to go to the effort, but feedback on Ranger is definitely needed.
One thread I read there were some comments regarding wizards not being wanted ... and I don't understand this unless they are underpowered in the old world. Whereas the same thread said rogues were still popular.
4. I understand the server has been on Kunark for 4 years. Any timeframe on Velious opening ? Is there ever likely to be expansions beyond that ?
5. Tell me the perfect group for experience ? Forget who the person is behind the keyboard. Please don't say Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter and 3 Rogues.
6. Tradeskills - are all at saturation point ? Is there high demand for raw mats ?

I think that is all I'm curious about right now. Perhaps I'll come up with more questions later. Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Laugher
04-21-2014, 11:42 AM
1. How is the population on the server from say 4am ET to 10am ET ?

Usually I think it takes a dip during those hours, but there's still usually 4-800 people on at that time.

2. Are there many Aussie/Oceanic/Asian guilds ?

Not sure about that, but since there's variance on raid mob spawn timers (ex. if something died at 10 PM EST Tuesday and has normally a 4 day respawn, it would be 4 days +/-8 hours, so it would then have a 16 hour spawn window instead of a 5 minute spawn window) on the high end many raid kills can and will happen in your time window; big guilds will at times make a point of recruiting people in non-US timezones

As for leveling, I don't know who would be best given your timezone.

3. I have read through some of the guild recruitment messages regarding what classes are needed etc and not much seems to have changed in a lot of ways. Would anybody like to give us a guide on how each class is percieved in the old world on this server ? I would like to play something different but I want to be able to group also if possible clearly. I'd like feedback on all classes if anybody would like to go to the effort, but feedback on Ranger is definitely needed.

Druid: Ports, PLs, around the high end they are less practical, but good money
cleric: always a solid choice if you like to heal
shaman: lots of em around, but easy to solo and root/rot here; a good option for someone who wants to be needed by a group but be just as able to kill solo
Warriors: Taunt works differently here than I remember- may want some stun weps, still good tanks and they get their discs here so a necassary class to have around at times
Pal/SK/ranger: bite the classic hybrid penatly; play only if you feel comitted to one of these classes imo

*edit* emphasis on ranger here: They can slow down a group's experience and bite a 40% penalty for themselves (in Velious I think the penalty for your group gets removed) they are gear dependent too, but I should say here I've had a couple good ranger tanks around 50 before. If you have your heart set on a ranger be mindful of the fact that it may impede who will invite you to a group in this era (although people have done the math and your penalty on your group is less than someone 5 levels higher than you being in your group) also /autofire doesn't work in case you remember that command from post-velious

bard: that 40% hybrid penalty; AE kiting kind of works, good utility class
monk: also bites a xp penalty, lots of em around and you should be expected to pull as a monk
rogue: fun, but epic level 15 rogues will make you look bad if you're ungeared (lotsa rogue epic MQs flying around 3 yrs into Kunark)
Wizards: Ports, DPS, lazing around medding.. would be better off in a lot of cases quad kiting as a wizzy vs trying to find a group
Mag: Mags are deso, but there's a 99-specific nerf wherein if your pet does over 50% damage you get less xp for the kill
necro: Fun; DPS/mana battery etc. Old almost insta cast circlet of shadow still drops atm
enc: always needed, being an ench might just get you into a chardok AE one day.

*edit* If you want to feel needed take a conventional role (Tank, CC or heals) DPS has by far the most classes to fill spots and while they can fill more group slots than any other class genre it would be harder to say get a group started and find a tank CC or heals vs. DPS

*edit edit* Ok so reading back on this I think I gave you the negative side of just about every class here.. I guess weigh it accordingly and perhaps read up on the wiki (wiki.project1999.org) in the mechanics page and on the class specific pages to get more specific (and positive) info on any class you think you'd like to choose hehe

4. I understand the server has been on Kunark for 4 years. Any timeframe on Velious opening ? Is there ever likely to be expansions beyond that ?

Velious is in beta currently, should be out sometime this year

5. Tell me the perfect group for experience ? Forget who the person is behind the keyboard. Please don't say Warrior, Cleric, Enchanter and 3 Rogues.

Ideally anything that works: CC is nice, but of course as long as you have some way of taking or avoiding damage and staying alive while things die=working fine

6. Tradeskills - are all at saturation point ? Is there high demand for raw mats ?

Yes, as a nub farm HQ bear pelts. Not sure about other ones for tailoring but I know mats for JC are pretty expensive

Supaskillz
04-21-2014, 12:03 PM
1. There are still plenty Of folks online, but certainly less than peak hours. In some ways it can be advantageous bc you can more easily get camps you want. It's possible a but more effort to get groups at tha t time or sole
Traveling, but I don't think big deterrent.

2. Many major raiding guilds have people across all time zones. Not sure about guilds focused specifically on your time zone.

3. Rangers are not too great in this time frame. They sort of have a jack of all trades problem where they are not ideal at filling any particular role, but that said if you like them go for it imo. They have lots of utility and do decent dps (just not very close to rogue or monk).
Wizards are great for raids but pretty meh in groups. Burst dps is usually not what a group wants... Unless it's an ae group.
Rogues are great dps, but monks are right there with them.

End of the day I think you can get groups and join a guild with whatever class. Pick one that appeals to you.

4.velious is in beta ATM. Deva are actively collecting info to get velious classic and release it. Hard to guess how long that will take. If it's me guessing, we are looking at 3-4 months or so. They have said no specific plans beyond that, but said they intend to keep it up and running. Possible custom content in the style of the classic content.

5. In the 50s best group experience in ae group 1 cleric and a pile of ench and wiZ. Outside of this I think you were close with your suggestion - tank, cleric, ench, melee dps. However plenty of groups can be effective, I wouldn't sweat this.

6. Trade skills still in demand to an extent. People still want tailored backpacks, jewlry, cultural. People will def buy silk, bone chips, pelts of lowbie mobs if this is your concern.

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for your in depth feedback Laugher

what is deso ? with regard to mages ... I won't be playing a mage, was my main forever, something new required

the info on ranger is very useful ... that is sorta what I was after, the perception of each class on this server because how efficient they are is very era dependant and I don't know how strong each class was at this point of EQ

if a new time locked progression server opened, I'd probly play a ranger and just box with cleric and something else

but here, given no boxing, and given I will be nude and broke, the first char choice is fairly important. I like to plan as if I will be here for years and if I'm not, then at least I was prepared

doesnt really bother me about experience penalties, happy to work for whatever i achieve ... but the communities perception of each class is important as its nice to be wanted/loved

Cheers mate

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks Supa also

I'm old enough to live with my decisions and know all classes very well, just not so much in this era so the info you provide here is very useful

Pallies good tanks at this point of the game ? in demand ? That is another class I'd consider, however by the sounds of it, I'm going cleric

can't see myself as a rogue or monk ... sounds like the perfect group is still the same 15 years on

shame really to an extent, it used to drive me batty as a mage back in the day although I persisted ... whether to go through that kind of mentality again is another thing

Cheers

Supaskillz
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Pally may be least played class on the server. Sk and pally are both good group tanks, but most people prefer to go with sk bc all of the utility like invis, ivu, fd.

Pal and sk both generally better at tanking in group setting for aggro control, but most groups aren't picky between war, sk and pal for their tank. Warriors have better dps and no xp penalty to share ( this goes away in velious I believe), but Sk's and pal can control aggro and can help with things like snare heals etc.

Dps casters can solo effectively but are less effective in groups than rogue who basically can't solo past level 5 if not twinked. Seems fair enough to me.

Pigskin
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Well I'm now in the game ... and that music made me very happy

only problem is its 3.30am so I guess exploration will have to wait until tomorrow

last question for today ... I guess I have to find a thread or link to a decent addon package if there is such a thing ... not sure if addons are frowned upon on this server

any assistance appreciated in this area

Cheers

ps wow, no maps is gonna test the memory :)

lecompte
04-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Look up Duxa UI in the technical forum. Welcome to the server :)

Fael
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
ui's are good. duxa ui i recommend.

Dolic

Nightbear
04-21-2014, 03:02 PM
INT casters are least gear dependent classes and good for starting out.

Laugher
04-21-2014, 03:02 PM
Duxa All In One Installer (includes classic battle themes, load screens, spell gems etc.) (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335)

*edit* not sure if this was resolved but while the Duxa installer is awesome it will probably put an old spell file into your folder; if you decide to run this on your client run it before you put the P99 specific files from here (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140577) into your P99 directory or install the changes individually from the installation list.

Phobus' modded Velious UI (displays xp in health bar) (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87166)

Higher Res EQTrilogy Era Zone Textures (pre-luclin? post-classic) (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482)

Higher Res Pre-Luclin Models (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121490)

Fifield
04-22-2014, 07:43 PM
ps wow, no maps is gonna test the memory :)[/QUOTE]

haha, get that sense heading up =)

Pigskin
04-23-2014, 06:40 AM
already have mate, just macro'd it on my move forward button

its maxed

If anybody returning after a really long time out wants a group, contact me :D

Academe Cleric 6 ... currently bound in Crushbone

Cheers