PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to hide the menubar in windowed mode?

Wizardling
08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
EQ Titanium, WinXP. I prefer to play in windowed mode so I can use my second monitor at the same time. It works well, but I'd love to be able to hide the menubar of EQ, so it wasn't there.

Also because the menubar is there, it pushes the window down a bit, so the very bottom of the playable area is below the screen edge. This is easy to work around, by simply moving UI elements upwards a few millimetres, no big deal. I did find, oddly enough, that actually moving EQ's window upwards so the top of the menubar went above the top screen edge, thus revealing the bottom of the playable area, resulted in graphic slowness. Thus I put things back the way they were, with all the menubar showing, and the very bottom of the playable area hidden below the screen edge.

All in all it's a minor issue, but I did wonder if there was a more elegant solution to either issue, or maybe both.

TIA :-)

Ahnen
08-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Greetings Wizardling,

The solution to your problem is to use a utility called Borderless-Gaming (https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming).

Happy hunting!

Wizardling
09-01-2014, 12:23 AM
Ah, I thought this was pretty neat and it seemed to all I wanted. But sadly in moving the window up and hiding the menubar, Borderless gaming left the UI's actual active location in EQ alone. In other words a button on my hotbar, for example, would have it's active location to be clicked as a button sized bit of screen real estate where it would have been before Borderless gaming moved the window, not where it was on screen. Naturally that broke the game badly, as where on screen controls in EQ appear, should also be precisely where I click to activate them.

Well, I appreciate the suggestion, and I'm sure it works with other apps, just not EQ Titanium in WinXP, sad to say. Or at least not with my setup. Thanks for trying, though! I will try Borderless gaming with other apps windowed modes, and perhaps it will fare better. I may still get some good use out of it :-)

Life617
09-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Is alt+w what your looking for?

Grimjaw
09-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I use WinEQ 2.0 and drag the screen up, thereby cutting off the top of the frame

Wizardling
09-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Isn't alt-w the window selector bar in live EQ? Regardless of it having nothing to do with this topic (not trying to be rude, but I think you've misread the above subject and posts), I didn't think the window selector was in 1999's Titanium version of EQ. Either way, I've always disabled it, even in live, as it's a particularly pointless piece of UI redundancy.

As to WinEQ - well, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay (though how much, out of curiosity?) simply to avoid graphics stuttering when I drag the EQ Window upwards so the menubar is off the screen. Assuming WinEQ really will solve that. Does it specifically claim to?

Anyway, it's a minor issue - I live with the menubar and losing a few pixels at the bottom of my UI :-) Really I'm thankful EQ Titanium runs at all 10 years on.

Life617
09-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Ok, so you're looking for a borderless gaming program. You could try this...

https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

Wizardling
09-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Ok, so you're looking for a borderless gaming program. You could try this...

https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

So many possible replies, but every one of them seems either rude (especially after straying the other week into the festering pit that is the rants section), or redundant. So I'll settle for wishing you well, and heading off to have some fun :-)

Derubael
09-07-2014, 10:29 PM
As to WinEQ - well, I'm not sure I'm ready to pay (though how much, out of curiosity?) simply to avoid graphics stuttering when I drag the EQ Window upwards so the menubar is off the screen. Assuming WinEQ really will solve that. Does it specifically claim to?

WinEQ2 is free - you do have to register, but it takes 30 seconds and costs nothing :)

Worth trying out to see if it fixes your issue, though to be honest I only read this snippet of your thread.

Edit: Read your OP. Yes WinEQ2 should fix that issue, but don't take that as gospel because I don't actually use it, though most of the staff does.

Wizardling
09-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Thanks Derubael - I had installed WinEQ when first setting up 1999, but when I reached the request to register, it made it seem as if I'd have to pay (or I misunderstood). I'll try again :-)

Go well fellow EQers!

Life617
09-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Well, I'm sorry if you felt I was being rude. I honestly was just trying to help.

eqgmrdbz
09-08-2014, 07:23 PM
This is so freaking easy, whatever you have your desktop set as, that's what you set in the game options for windowed mode, then you switch to windowed mode and drag the window up to remove the blue bar. Eq will remember this setting and you will always start like that, you will have to rearrange your UI because windowed mode uses a different setting than full screen. It's nice to just drag my mouse down and do stuff on my comp, then just tab back to EQ. :cool:

Wizardling
09-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Ah screw it, I'll be rude. This is like the thread of the damned for reading comprehension (J/K - it aint that bad, heh) :-)

Life617 - I did not feel you were being rude. I feel you didn't read either the subject, nor any of the posts before replying. You also misunderstand my post mentioning rudeness - which was talking about possible responses (to the lack of reading comprehension) by me being rude. Though I realise there might've been a bit of ambiguity there if you were not already following the gist of the thread.

eqgmrdbz - As I mention a couple times earlier, including in the original post, moving the menubar up above the screen causes graphic slowness for me, so that is not a practical option.

I mean seriously people - I get you're nice thoughtful people willing to try to help by replying, but save your time, save my time, save other reader's time, by actually reading and comprehending the thread, before replying. It has taken over eight days for this modest thread to reach page two, and I don't think my writing is that dense, so there's really very little excuse to not at least read the subject line and original post before replying, let alone the entire thread for such a tiny thread.

Sorry if this comes across as being a dick :-) I'm just... wondering what's up with the lack of comprehension. If this is just how it usually is here, I guess I'll adapt and get over my pet peeves. Again - sorry for being rude. It's just mildly frustrating after having to deal with people (I'm in tech support - pity me! Or mock me ;-) ) in RL all day long who don't RTFM and the equivalent.

/end minor rant that should be taken as being good natured and not too serious.

eqgmrdbz
09-08-2014, 09:41 PM
It's all good, i have tough skin. I do not understand why it would cause graphic slowness, my comp is a piece of shit and it works fine. Anyways good luck on your problem.

Wizardling
09-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Well I suspect my computer is the greater piece of shit ;-)

Actually it's probably the somewhat funky ATI drivers I use for my particular old video card. The official latest and supported version have a nasty bug causing random graphical corruption forcing WinXP to fallback on it's 256 colour mode, when I play certain ageing games (forcing me to restart Windows every time it happens). So I use an unsupported version to get around this, that works, but ATI only supported on another of their video card lines, and is year's out of date as well.

It took days of testing various driver/driver config apps before I found a combination of a driver that worked and didn't have the bug the new ones do, and a config app that worked with said driver. After all it's not much good having drivers I can't configure, and wouldn't you know it - when I finally found a driver that worked, it's included config app crashed every time, so I had to find a different ATI config app that would work - ha! Non-matching driver and config app finally worked - talk about a kludge!

Given all that, I'm just surprised my setup works half as well as it does :-)

eqgmrdbz
09-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Wizardling

Actually it's probably the somewhat funky ATI drivers I use for my particular old video card. The official latest and supported version have a nasty bug causing random graphical corruption forcing WinXP to fallback on it's 256 colour mode, when I play certain ageing games (forcing me to restart Windows every time it happens)

Yup that's prolly what is causing your issues, the last thing you want is to be running a VidCard with unsupported drivers. I would suggest getting another card but i do not know your financial situation.

Grimjaw
09-10-2014, 05:24 PM
I already gave u the solution on first page faggot, wineq2. if ur too dumb enough to figure it out then no one here is ever going to be able to help you to your dumbass standards

Wizardling
09-10-2014, 08:48 PM
I am sorry you're so insecure in your own sexuality, lack decent English skills, and feel your childish attempt at an insult is socially acceptable. I also regret you believing I would take much notice of your post given childish past replies from you in other threads. Though had you bothered reading this very thread, you would have seen - despite doubts as to you being worth attention - I already replied regarding WinEq, and another poster already answered my query regarding it. So we come back to reading comprehension...

Life617
09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
The two solutions I cam across when trying to solve this problem for myself when i first installed the titanium client were:

a.) Do the free trial for wineq2 and get the features you're looking for.

b.) Use the Duxa All in One Installer and set it to windowed mode, assuming you're using a 1920x1080 monitor you would select the 1900x1000 resolution which will make everything visible and clickable like you want.

This is all assuming you mean the windows border when you say eq menu bar.

Wizardling
09-11-2014, 08:10 PM
I've never heard of the "Duxa All in One Installer'. I'll investigate. I did say the menubar... but I meant to say say titlebar. Using OS X, Windows, and various flavours of *nix, I tend to get a wee bit muddled with terms - sorry. But I mean the blue (by default) bar at the top of every WinXP window, with the title of the contents, and various window controls - commonly referred to as the titlebar. I've no problem with window borders in EQ.

Specifically I wanted to remove the titlebar, or be able to move EQ Titanium's window up a few pixels, to reveal the hidden bottom of the UI (pushed downwards by the presence of the titlebar) without graphic slowness I then experience in EQ Titanium (but not in any other windowed app).

I'll see if wineq2 does the trick next time I get some spare time (haven't even had the chance to login to EQ in days... *sigh*). If it doesn't, I'll look into your other suggestion.

Cheers :-)