PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate me for picking dark elf

Darkwinter
12-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm an old EQ player from long ago, bringing myself into P99 because I miss that old school EQ.

But I think I will go with dark elf over Iksar, because the XP penalty just seems unbearable. Is it really that bad to not pick Iksar? People seem set on Iksars on these forums, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some other detail aside from the regen.

Any thoughts before I make this choice permanent?

maahes
12-08-2014, 01:18 PM
The hard core nerds do rage about their Iksar Necro's and Monk's.

That regen does save lives!

Jitsumo
12-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I have a 22 DE necro, but reading these forums makes me feel like a horrible person for making this choice. It might be a swift kick in the nuts later since I don't have regen, but I couldn't imagine rerolling and going through those horrible early levels again.

I have mostly done the bard diet so far, so rolling an ikky would only make leveling longer on timed spawns. I may never make it high enough level for it to matter, we'll see. FML till then.

BulletCatcher
12-08-2014, 01:29 PM
This type of stuff is for the min/max type players. Those who focus on the perfect setup. As long as you're having fun do what you want.

maahes
12-08-2014, 01:38 PM
And those same min/max players are the same folks who we all laugh at for their nerdrage. Nerdquest brings out the worst in some of us! Don't be one of them, play the game how you want and enjoy yourself.

Poosammich
12-08-2014, 01:58 PM
It's just from a min/maxers standpoint. I can tell you in just the 11 or so lvls I've gone up with my ikky compared to my Erudite on live. The regen is just stupid fast. The XP penalty is meh, as I have my Hi Elf chanter that seems to lvl just as slow. Late game though if you're a necro the lich line can get ugly. Iksar counters that via regen all a matter of flavor/opinion. =] In the end its all about the funsies, so if the XP pen is too much, you'll be just fine. You'll just have to lifetap, and leach more late levels.

EDIT:
Nerds on the wiki have shown that you don't take ANY dmg from lich while sitting until like 49+.....

Esheon
12-08-2014, 02:14 PM
I say play what you want.

Most of my character races are "sub-optimal" at best...
Cleric: Human. Because Mithaniel Marr, obviously. I've already gotten several "why human?" queries, and he's not even level 10. Plus, high elves look dumb.
Shaman: Iksar. Despite no plate/no JBB, Iksar are great. Plus, the whole monitor lizard/mouth full of germs thing fits shaman spells.
Enchanter: Gnome. Lowest starting CHA, wooo! Arguably bottom of the barrel for enchanters, but the idea of a tiny little gnome mind-controlling things much larger than him is fun. Plus, high elves look dumb.

I picked them because I like them. If we had frogloks, I would have just made one of each froglok class and called it done... but I can't :(

Conscript
12-08-2014, 02:22 PM
I agree to play what you want but while we're on the subject on min / max you should also remember that this game isn't going to get further than what it is.

Alukit Vassago
12-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Dark Elf til i die unless its a class i can't play as dark elf then i will pick another, DARK ELF PRIDE~!

Darkwinter
12-08-2014, 02:33 PM
I say play what you want.

Most of my character races are "sub-optimal" at best...
Cleric: Human. Because Mithaniel Marr, obviously. I've already gotten several "why human?" queries, and he's not even level 10. Plus, high elves look dumb.
Shaman: Iksar. Despite no plate/no JBB, Iksar are great. Plus, the whole monitor lizard/mouth full of germs thing fits shaman spells.
Enchanter: Gnome. Lowest starting CHA, wooo! Arguably bottom of the barrel for enchanters, but the idea of a tiny little gnome mind-controlling things much larger than him is fun. Plus, high elves look dumb.

I picked them because I like them. If we had frogloks, I would have just made one of each froglok class and called it done... but I can't :(

Now I'm starting to think mage instead of necro lol. If the game won't get many more expansions, and will stay old school rules, then what does that mean for the pet classes? Which would be better? I like grouping, but I will probably solo more often just because I hate waiting for people.

Gaxx
12-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Dark Elves are the best. No hate here. Play whatever you think is coolest or whatever you like from a roleplay perspective, etc.

Played a DE on live, I play a DE here. Being evil adds a little spice to the game, especially at lower levels.

myriverse
12-08-2014, 03:27 PM
It might be a swift kick in the nuts
Another way to look at it is that you actually have nuts to kick.

Going for the optimal class is just trying to make things easier.

OP, at least you're not a human.

Poosammich
12-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Another way to look at it is that you actually have nuts to kick.

Going for the optimal class is just trying to make things easier.

OP, at least you're not a human.

HAHAHA My son rolled a human Necro..... He was swiftly forced to delete it...... Only because .... Go big or go home! XD

Trelaboon
12-08-2014, 07:22 PM
My necro is a human I love it

Gaxx
12-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Human necros are cool too. You could have been a Human Paladin or a Warrior or even a Cleric. But you, a normal human being, chose to become a NECROMANCER. You must be one evil sick twisted bastard. You had choices, opportunities... yet you chose the dark arts of necromancy.

MirrorSmoke
12-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Are there any rp guilds? I kinda miss rp in a dark elf "house" :)

toolshed
12-08-2014, 07:38 PM
Iksars level faster than every other race solo because of the regen. Iksar regen = less mana to heal yourself through taps = less time meditating.

If you don't like the character model - you go skele illusion 99% of the time at lvl 34 with Call of Bones, so it isn't that big of a deal.

Also - trying something new can be fun. I played a half elf bard before so I had no real issues with banking/vendoring. Now with my Iksar Necro, knowing the ins and outs of where I can bank/vendor is pretty fun.

shamanredux
12-08-2014, 09:47 PM
While necro is one of the few classes that has a definitive "best race", you will still do fine as any race you like. My roomy just rerolled his 41 DEF necro to an Iksar and he couldn't be happier. There is an exp penalty to deal with, but you kill more stuff and with less downtime because of the regen so it balances itself out. (Until 60, where it doesn't matter how long it took you to get there, AND now you have regen)

So basically, play the race you think looks cool. People aren't going to dislike you, or not invite you to groups based on race. You WILL notice a big difference in soloing though. Only you can decide what is more important to you.

Donruss
12-08-2014, 10:46 PM
DE waaay more classic. I have a human monk for the same reason.

if you are on top of your life tap's / life tap dot, you can keep lich on the whole time. I have been duo'ing with my rl necro friend who is a dark elf since we were 20ish. He does fine. He is 57ish? Not sure the regen would have helped us that much.

Taiku
12-08-2014, 10:55 PM
As a Iksar Necro, after playing a DE on live, life is a lot easier as a Iksar! But play what you want!

Jetlag
12-08-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm compelled to tell you, if you want quality of life, go Iksar.

I chose DE because I didn't like the look of Iksar and figured the regen would be negligible when you're actively tapping & dotting. Although every necro can balance the dmg from lich form, iksars do it without breaking a sweat.

Besides, I spend all my time in lich form. If I knew better then....

Remember it's only convenience, race doesn't make you invincible. So play what you enjoy.

GinnasP99
12-09-2014, 02:53 AM
58 DE necro here, i wouldnt change if i was given a choice. Vexing mordinia is good.

Faron
12-09-2014, 03:03 AM
The xp penalty isn't a huge deal and is balanced out with regen. In theory that extra regen means few lifetaps/vexes to keep your hp up and more time killing.

iruinedyourday
12-09-2014, 03:11 AM
De>all

iruinedyourday
12-09-2014, 03:13 AM
Human necros are cool too. You could have been a Human Paladin or a Warrior or even a Cleric. But you, a normal human being, chose to become a NECROMANCER. You must be one evil sick twisted bastard. You had choices, opportunities... yet you chose the dark arts of necromancy.

that human necro guild in qeynos. Such immersion, so rp.

webrunner5
12-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Human any class sucks on EQ. Total fail if you have one. :p And don't even tell me about the eye patch thingy.

maahes
12-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Human any class sucks on EQ. Total fail if you have one. :p And don't even tell me about the eye patch thingy.

LOL nerds of Nerdquest.

jolanar
12-09-2014, 10:22 AM
No amount of regen could make me play a race that I don't like the way they look. Once you notice that iksar tails are offcenter... you can never STOP noticing.

Personally I think dark elves look amazing in this game in any armor type. They have easily some of the best lore and the coolest starting city by a longshot. Plus you start right by EC which means lots of free buffs, easy access to sell bone chips and HQ bear pelts for spell money and several nearby zones with lots of grouping action.

I rolled a human monk despite everyone telling me to make it an iksar and honestly I have no regrets so far. Maybe when I get to 50+ I'll regret it, but tbh you really have no idea if you are going to even make it that far and it's silly to not enjoy your character for the first 59 levels because of min/max reasons.

sox7d
12-09-2014, 11:54 AM

you can't say EQ is an immersive game if you don't play human. period.

webrunner5
12-10-2014, 11:12 AM
you can't say EQ is an immersive game if you don't play human. period.

Hell I don't want to be immersive, I want a class that can see and have some starting stats worth a damn lol. :eek:

myriverse
12-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Immersion is a completely cerebral thing. You can immerse yourself in tic-tac-toe if you put your mind to it. It's all on you, the player.

Whirled
12-10-2014, 11:23 AM
I have a human & an erudite just cuz it's a tad more challenging with the visual impairments. Plus Paineel is pcool.