PDA

View Full Version : Ground Drop Rot Bonanza!

Muggens
12-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi all.

Had three bags, light burlap sack, bag of sewn evil eye and a regular bagpack filled with monk gear, Robe of Living Fungus, 2x 55 HP rings, Executioners Hood, Cane of Harmony, 2x Wus Trance Sticks, Wus Quivering Staff, GemInlaid Gaunts, KunzarCloak, max agi and sta necklace, str earrings, azure sleeves, some cured silk and some other gear I cannot remember. Made the ground drop, and then it all went to pieces. Connection trouble...Alas, When I came on the monk the bags had rotted.

So what I want to say is that Im quitting EQ because of this now, I just had spent too much time in the tunnels to get this gear... Gave what I had left on my trader, Trademoore away(just a Jarsath trident, GreenJade sword and crafted gloves and some junk, dunno who got it because people were swarming around me, but some of you accused me of lying when I told this in OOC. Hope whoever got the gear can save Trademoore and Muggens rep If I ever return, because its a true story.

Its a warning, be real careful with the ground drop guys, didnt remember they poofed so quick! Good luck to the rest of ya, maybe I wasnt ment to play this game for a second time!

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum!

Muggens
12-09-2014, 09:08 PM
And no; I am not looking for free gear or plat, but perhaps the post was made to get some sympathy :D

citizen1080
12-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Better chance that someone happened across your bags and snagged them. Lots of trustworthy people in the tunnel. Should have had someone transfer for you =(

Itap
12-09-2014, 09:23 PM
Could not hurt to petition to get your items restored.

dealicious
12-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Lol yea, been on the server for over 4 years and i alway asked random high level guilded in tunnel and alway got my stuff back, taking screenshot befor the trade with the tell asking them and confirmation of them accepting ofcourse, just in case, but never had trouble. Ground drop is just something you shouldnt do.

Rararboker
12-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Yeah I literally just look around and ask the first person with a raid guild tag. I've never lost an item before. #MySuccessStory

NegaStoat
12-09-2014, 11:47 PM
I sympathize with the OP. I really do. I had a few ground drops go sour on old retail that were quite similar to what you are describing, and it just sucks so hard.

For those new players that the OP is warning about ground dropping and trading to a different character, please follow the listed routine.

1) Don't ground drop. Find someone to trade with that you can semi trust as listed above. Screenshot that you actually have the gear if it's really valuable.
2) If you absolutely must ground drop, make a second account first. Log that second account in, running a naked level 1 to the spot you are going to make the ground drop trade in. Then log back to your primary account.
3) Select a Zone that is both kinda small and has very little player character traffic, and very few roaving NPC's. Zones like Felwithe B (caster area) or Kaladim or Oggok all work great - you get what I mean from these selections.
4) Move both characters on your main account to do the trade, but don't do it yet. Log out.
5) Do a registry cleaning of your computer. Reboot it entirely. Make EQ the only program running when you log back in.
6) Have the primary character make the bag drop, switch to the second character on the account and pick it up.
7) If you have a Game Client error or a very brief ISP burp that makes you lose connection, do NOT panic. Calmly restart the client, and log onto your SECOND account that you made from step 2.
8) Because you are logging in with your second account to rescue your items on the ground, P1999 won't keep you out with a "please wait to log in" error message if your first account is still hanging from the sour disconnect.

And step 9) Trade with someone else, and don't ground twink if your shit is valuable. Yeah, I said it twice. Good luck.

loramin
12-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Could not hurt to petition to get your items restored.

DarkwingDuck
12-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Hi all.

Had three bags, light burlap sack, bag of sewn evil eye and a regular bagpack filled with monk gear, Robe of Living Fungus, 2x 55 HP rings, Executioners Hood, Cane of Harmony, 2x Wus Trance Sticks, Wus Quivering Staff, GemInlaid Gaunts, KunzarCloak, max agi and sta necklace, str earrings, azure sleeves, some cured silk and some other gear I cannot remember. Made the ground drop, and then it all went to pieces. Connection trouble...Alas, When I came on the monk the bags had rotted.

So what I want to say is that Im quitting EQ because of this now, I just had spent too much time in the tunnels to get this gear... Gave what I had left on my trader, Trademoore away(just a Jarsath trident, GreenJade sword and crafted gloves and some junk, dunno who got it because people were swarming around me, but some of you accused me of lying when I told this in OOC. Hope whoever got the gear can save Trademoore and Muggens rep If I ever return, because its a true story.

Its a warning, be real careful with the ground drop guys, didnt remember they poofed so quick! Good luck to the rest of ya, maybe I wasnt ment to play this game for a second time!

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum!

I lol'd

Muggens
12-10-2014, 01:06 PM
I understand the Lols, and thanks for the sympathy. The reason I did a ground drop wasnt just because I didnt trust anyone... I spent a week or so in tunnels selling warrior gear and aquiring monk gear, so when I was finally done yesterday, I got a port to DL with an Enchanter Gnome a friend of mine has, low lvl about 20. Ran him to Swamp of no Hope(very fitting name for what was about to happen) Ofcourse you know, he is KOS all around so I had to do a ground drop, as the only one in the zone was a lvl 3 monk, who I couldnt trust(Wish I did, would be better if he got it than it just to rot) So, with the delay and all, when the monk came online it was gone, Im sure the lvl 3 monk didnt find it as the Enc was invis hiding in the hills. You think theres a chance of petitioning?

sykotic
12-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I sympathize with the OP. I really do. I had a few ground drops go sour on old retail that were quite similar to what you are describing, and it just sucks so hard.

For those new players that the OP is warning about ground dropping and trading to a different character, please follow the listed routine.

1) Don't ground drop. Find someone to trade with that you can semi trust as listed above. Screenshot that you actually have the gear if it's really valuable.
2) If you absolutely must ground drop, make a second account first. Log that second account in, running a naked level 1 to the spot you are going to make the ground drop trade in. Then log back to your primary account.
3) Select a Zone that is both kinda small and has very little player character traffic, and very few roaving NPC's. Zones like Felwithe B (caster area) or Kaladim or Oggok all work great - you get what I mean from these selections.
4) Move both characters on your main account to do the trade, but don't do it yet. Log out.
5) Do a registry cleaning of your computer. Reboot it entirely. Make EQ the only program running when you log back in.
6) Have the primary character make the bag drop, switch to the second character on the account and pick it up.
7) If you have a Game Client error or a very brief ISP burp that makes you lose connection, do NOT panic. Calmly restart the client, and log onto your SECOND account that you made from step 2.
8) Because you are logging in with your second account to rescue your items on the ground, P1999 won't keep you out with a "please wait to log in" error message if your first account is still hanging from the sour disconnect.

And step 9) Trade with someone else, and don't ground twink if your shit is valuable. Yeah, I said it twice. Good luck.

Wow.... you do ALL of that for a drop xfer? guess im livin' on the edge. Done about 10 or so with no issue (all in remote areas of course) Best advice
I can give is don't log in INSTANTLY with your second char if its on the same acct, give it about 5-10 seconds before you do or it may bug out.

NegaStoat
12-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Wow.... you do ALL of that for a drop xfer?

well, like I mentioned, i had a couple of ground drop transfers go wrong (thankfully it wasn't for large amounts of plat each time on P1999) and the above system narrows the margin of error down a lot. Especially having the 2nd account with a naked character parked at the drop site ready to go in case I have a client crash on the first account.

If I was to ever do a transfer of over 500+ pp worth of stuff from one character to another, yeah. I'd ALWAYS get someone to help me. But I'm in the process of leveling up an Evil character so that narrows down my ability to use merchants to vendor loot. And I use Glowing Backpacks x6 for looting bronze / FS weapons and ground twink them to a parked Druid for sale, which I can convert to gems if I want or whatever. The No Rent bags are stored on a corpse between play sessions.

So for convenience of being able to loot everything of decent value, yeah, ground twinking with the no rent bags has earned me a ton.

Aaramis
12-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Fyi, I started P1999 just over a week ago, and was gifted a Wu's Quivering Staff on day 1 by a complete stranger.

Since then, I have used my Monk to farm newbie stuff (silks, orc belts, etc.) to fund my future self - either an SK or Bard, undetermined at this point and completely irrelevant, because the point is that if you want the staff, it's all yours since I'm most likely retiring the Monk.

I can also tailor some cured silk for you if you want as well.

PM me here, or find me ingame as Kaluan / Aara / Telomir if interested.

Muggens
12-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Aaramis, that is a very kindly offer which I appreciate alot. I have petitioned here and will wait for an answer to see if there's any chance of getting the items back. I felt it as that was something that was supposed to happen, to keep me away from the game and took is as a sign. Im going to see what the GMs say and then I will consider what I am going to do, but if I dont get it back I shall think about your heartly consideration and perhaps I will try one more time to play this game. I live in an desolate place with no RL friends in the area, so I figured it couldnt be that much of a wrong move for me to play just alittle bit of P99, but Im on the fence just about now. Again, thanks!

Traxan
12-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Bah man shit happens! Its a game, get back in der!! You know you want to. I wager there will be some good folks to help you get back on your feet. ;)

Miolnir
12-10-2014, 04:58 PM
I've never had a ground drop go wrong yet. Had some close calls though. Ground drops last exactly 5 minutes, so be sure to time when you drop it. If it is gone and 5 minutes have not passed yet, then someone took it. Find a secure location obviously... Temple of Solusek Ro comes to mind... no one ever in that zone, and there are a bunch of little rooms that no one bothers to walk into.

drktmplr12
12-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Post in the petition forum if you still want to stay. I've had a bag restored that I accidentally deleted because i thought it was a different one. Turns out it had my main hand, off hand, and like 60 peridots :eek:

Anyways, after a week or so of fighting barefisted, I was able to aid the GM working with me in replacing my items. Although they were under no obligation to even try, they did it.

It's worth a shot if the items rotted... likely the CS staff can track it down if you know: zone it happened in, exactly what was in the bag, and the time of day (like 2pm est for example). All that stuff is logged & time stamped in the server database when it leaves your inventory. If you can help them locate the log, you may find they can comfortably restore your hard work.

The question is... did someone pick it up?

Ravager
12-11-2014, 10:23 AM
I've lost several k worth of gear over the years doing ground drops. It sucks, but oh well, it's not like you can eat pixels.

webrunner5
12-11-2014, 10:56 AM
I have lost what you are talking about like whole sets of Melee and Caster gear lost to drops probably 4 times on here. I have not quit. And petitions will not get your gear back.

But I still drop some pretty damn good gear at times on the ground, even my Fungi and CoF several times. Hell sort of fun to get your heart rate up hoping the stuff is there when you log in. :D

Suwu
12-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Fyi, I started P1999 just over a week ago, and was gifted a Wu's Quivering Staff on day 1 by a complete stranger.

Since then, I have used my Monk to farm newbie stuff (silks, orc belts, etc.) to fund my future self - either an SK or Bard, undetermined at this point and completely irrelevant, because the point is that if you want the staff, it's all yours since I'm most likely retiring the Monk.

I can also tailor some cured silk for you if you want as well.

PM me here, or find me ingame as Kaluan / Aara / Telomir if interested.

What a guy... just what a guy.

Muggens
12-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes, Aaramis is such a fellow that its hard to quit this game! Also, thanks alot for the input on page 2 the rest of you - Yes I have petitioned and are waiting for these amazing people to see whether theres anything they could do, I have no hopes of it, as its not of their concern as someone above here mentioned.
I might seem as a quitter but Im a casual player who really dislike wasting time, and what a waste of time it was for me to sell and buy in tunnels for over like ten days to just loose everything the moment it was finally finished hehe! As for my heart-rate, well it felt like it stopped there for a moment when I noticed the ground was empty. I highly doubt someone took it as there was only one more player in the zone who was a low lvl 3 monk, and I was invis, hiding and did not see the monk noob anywhere.

Aaramis
12-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Meh, plenty of generous people on this server - especially for newbs such as us. If I hadn't offered to help, someone else would have I'm sure :)

GL on the petition Muggens, and keep me updated on it.
I'll be in the Cabilis area for a bit, but can make the trek to the mainland without too much problem - plenty of ports in OT.