PDA

View Full Version : Halfling warrior.. bad idea?

Jedson
12-14-2014, 08:00 AM
hey all, thinking about making a halfling warrior, but as i have no alt or am able to gear him up is this a bad idea? wanted to call him Nobby Nobbs from guards guards haha

any noobie warrior advice would help thanks

hammertime7795
12-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Its not ideal. You would not be gimped either so if its what you want than play it!

Loke
12-14-2014, 09:20 AM
If you want to min/max, Ogre is the best race. All the other races are about the same, but Halflings having sneak & hide is pretty nice. As someone who raids on a Dark Elf warrior, I'd suggest you play whatever race you want - it really won't make that big of a difference in the end (although again, Ogre is the best).

Estu
12-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Play what you want to play. Halfling warriors are nice because they can sneak pull. You can get some nice weapons for cheap by farming stuff like bone chips, spiderling silks, high quality bear pelts, and selling to other players; plenty of good weapons for 100-200pp that will give you decent aggro ability early on.

Glenzig
12-14-2014, 10:56 AM
If you start him let me know when you will be on. I'll be home late this evening. I'll give you some armor and weapons and plat. I should be available around 8-9 EST.

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-14-2014, 10:58 AM
I think a wee little halfling tank is ultra-cool. go for it.

Jedson
12-14-2014, 11:54 AM
cheers for all advice, his name is nobbie, will be on all day glenzig thanks

Calibretto
12-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Don't forget! Halfling Warriors take the least amount of exp to reach 60 out of any warrior class!

webrunner5
12-14-2014, 12:41 PM
I am not fond of the idea. Short races are hard to be able to see over other group members, even mobs to pull them or target to try to agro them. I made a Gnome one once, talk about a Horror Show. :eek: I would not recommend it. I know a lot of Pallys are Dwarfs but they are not as short, and they are like a Ogre to Warriors, just the best choice. :p

There is a reason short races stand on hills in groups and raids lol.

Byrjun
12-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Halfling isn't even close to the worst race choice for a Warrior. Sure it might be a bit tougher playing a melee as a first character as opposed to a caster, but the only thing that matters is that you're having fun playing what you want to play.

Ele
12-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Halfling warriors are nice because they can sneak pull.

Jigawatts
12-14-2014, 04:40 PM
I echo the play whatever you want sentiment.

But mechanically I would say Halfings are one of the best non-large warrior races. Ogre, then Troll, then Barbarian (slam is just really nice to have on a tank that doesn't use shields), then either halfling or dwarf. Dwarves have the better stats, but halfings have all the perks.

sox7d
12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
1999-2001: "I'll be a barbarian warrior because they look cool"
2014: "I don't like spell casters but if I want to to be adequately geared and maximize my efficiency, I should decide between a druid, shaman, enchanter, necro or magician to get to farm and solo to 60 so I can then make my warrior and decide between iksar for the armor bonus come velious or ogre for the stun immunity. Lord knows this game isn't worth playing without a fungi."

Fuck it, make a dark elf rogue.

Jimjam
12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I am not fond of the idea. Short races are hard to be able to see over other group members, even mobs to pull them or target to try to agro them. I made a Gnome one once, talk about a Horror Show. :eek: I would not recommend it. I know a lot of Pallys are Dwarfs but they are not as short, and they are like a Ogre to Warriors, just the best choice. :p

set a button to cycle through closest NPCs. It's easier to EQ with keyboard most the time.

Also halflings start with a tonne of dex which is fun. Their str/sta isn't too bad if you compare to elves/humans instead of against big guys.

Aaramis
12-14-2014, 05:13 PM

Trust me, when you have Tormax or Yelinak cornered with their back to the raid and facing you, it doesn't matter what race you are - you're going to be tiny in comparison. It only makes a minor difference in groups, but then casters should be targeting you via any means other than mouse clicking; and group members should be /assist'ing you.

There's also something satisfying about seeing a tiny warrior 'zerking for hundreds of damage :)

Raev
12-14-2014, 05:15 PM
Halfling warriors are nice because they can sneak pull.

Do not roll a halfling for sneak pulls; at some point we should get classic 'sneak drops on ranged attack' again.

DrKvothe
12-14-2014, 05:19 PM
When I saw this was already into 2 pages on the same day as the OP, I thought "Oh lord, a bunch of people telling a new player to min/max." But I'm happy that most people seem to feel the same way I do, that you should play what you like. I like short races, and I like fast exp.

But halflings are freaking hideous. Ugh.

GSZ
12-14-2014, 06:51 PM
I've got a gnome warrior at level 30 and it's my favorite character by far. Play what you want ;)

Jedson
12-14-2014, 06:57 PM
cheers for all positive feedback, im just grinding, collecting pelts, silk and bat wings to get some plat, then get myself to crushbone haha, name of nobbie

jolanar
12-15-2014, 10:40 AM
But halflings are freaking hideous. Ugh.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/get-out-adam-sanberg.gif

webrunner5
12-15-2014, 11:09 AM
set a button to cycle through closest NPCs. It's easier to EQ with keyboard most the time.

When you are the first to engage, ergo tank, you do not have the time to do that. You pretty much are the one making the decision which one to engage first. Think about if puller gets 4 mobs, you are going to cycle through 4 to pick and which one you going to take? Everyone would be dead by then. One mob maybe, but EQ is not a perfect world. It is tuff even for say a CC char to cycle through them to snare or root fast enough. But pretty much how you have to. /assist Bob lol works for the other DPSers.

But a good tip on your part for the new people how to figure out what mob to hit.

sox7d
12-15-2014, 12:13 PM
When you are the first to engage, ergo tank, you do not have the time to do that. You pretty much are the one making the decision which one to engage first. Think about if puller gets 4 mobs, you are going to cycle through 4 to pick and which one you going to take? Everyone would be dead by then. One mob maybe, but EQ is not a perfect world. It is tuff even for say a CC char to cycle through them to snare or root fast enough. But pretty much how you have to. /assist Bob lol works for the other DPSers.

But a good tip on your part for the new people how to figure out what mob to hit.

wat

tapping a cycle key 3 times in half a second is much faster than trying to click on a pile of mobs with EQs shitty click hitbox accuracy.

Glenzig
12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
wat

tapping a cycle key 3 times in half a second is much faster than trying to click on a pile of mobs with EQs shitty click hitbox accuracy.

Yes.

Destron
12-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Or.../tar Tinytank etc etc

Jimjam
12-17-2014, 03:42 AM

Really? ``````` on inc takes like a second and a half tops. You can see the mobs coming so you only need to glance at the target window. Even `c`c`c`c is pretty quick if you don't have so many inc.

Besides, sometimes the puller will have the best mob pretargetted on inc for the tank to /assist.

And if you are playing Halfling you are sitting there pre-snuck waiting for the monk to Fd them so you can snag a single.

webrunner5
12-17-2014, 04:46 AM
And if you are playing Halfling you are sitting there pre-snuck waiting for the monk to Fd them so you can snag a single.

I sure as hell hope I am never the Healer or Enchanter in your group if you are the Tank with that statement. :eek::eek:

Jimjam
12-17-2014, 08:25 AM
What? Monk FDs the pull away from players, as the mobs begin to path back you tag the desired one with a bow while sneak is active. only the tagged one will come.

Oh wait, I know why you don't wanna play a healer or enc in a group killing single mobs; you'll barely have to heal or CC and will get bored. Fair enough.

Fysts
12-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Halfling warrior is awesome and come velious you will max all stats anyways.

Bodybagger
12-17-2014, 11:31 AM
from min/max standpoint there is ogre>iksar/troll>everyone else for racial end game stuff that matters... disregarding any racial armor. Even then, stun immunity is overated, melee push causes most interrupts, so play against a wall and pretend you're an ogre and enjoy. Push interrupts still annoying on ogre.

And iksar/troll regen is great early on, and great in addition to regen items/buffs but alone goes mostly unnoticed later on... good buffer for necro, and nice enough on monk/sk with FD too, but otherwise... the XP benefit of Halfling probably outweighs racial advantage of any other race 10:1 for your average player who never sees 60 or needs to min/max.

But then leveling up is also overrated... there is as much to master and enjoy in the game at 20-30 as 50-60, part of what makes EQ such an amazing game to me.

Play what you want, and do what you want. Get a group of 6 Halfling warriors/rogues/clerics and set a record for /played to 60 on fresh rolls without ever taking handouts or power leveling lol *shrug*

webrunner5
12-17-2014, 12:32 PM
What? Monk FDs the pull away from players, as the mobs begin to path back you tag the desired one with a bow while sneak is active. only the tagged one will come.

Oh wait, I know why you don't wanna play a healer or enc in a group killing single mobs; you'll barely have to heal or CC and will get bored. Fair enough.

Like I said, as the other mob runs in and kills the Enchanter. Nice. :( A Tank is suppose to be beat on while the others have a chance to root or mez one, not let it hit them. Duh. Wow. That only works very often. The other mob paths back trust me as soon as the healer heals or a Shaman slows, Enchanter Mez's etc., unless it is a mile away. And with the latest patches sometimes you have to zone to get agro off anymore.

I see and know what you are saying. BUT it is VERY time consuming and risky. You are talking best case hope here pull after pull. But everyone has a different opinion on how to pull, get agro, etc. So I will concede you do what you want I will do what I have done that works for me. Unless you have a Mage in the group that can summon Arrows, you will run out of them quick, so then you have to go with "get beat on" like most groups end up doing. And that is why you have a Tank in a group to get beat on till others root, mez, park etc.

Wrench
12-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Even then, stun immunity is overated, melee push causes most interrupts

interrupts? wtf? were talking about warriors in this thread

Jimjam
12-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Like I said, as the other mob runs in and kills the Enchanter. Nice. :( A Tank is suppose to be beat on while the others have a chance to root or mez one, not let it hit them. Duh. Wow. That only works very often. The other mob paths back trust me as soon as the healer heals or a Shaman slows, Enchanter Mez's etc., unless it is a mile away. And with the latest patches sometimes you have to zone to get agro off anymore.

I see and know what you are saying. BUT it is VERY time consuming and risky. You are talking best case hope here pull after pull. But everyone has a different opinion on how to pull, get agro, etc. So I will concede you do what you want I will do what I have done that works for me. Unless you have a Mage in the group that can summon Arrows, you will run out of them quick, so then you have to go with "get beat on" like most groups end up doing. And that is why you have a Tank in a group to get beat on till others root, mez, park etc.

Are you sure you know what I am saying? I think you misunderstood the situation I was describing.

I meant when a monk pulls a bunch of mobs, FDs away from the group so no one has any aggro, the mobs start to path back then the warrior tags one (with sneak activated) to get a single pull.

Why would the other mobs run in to kill the enchanter? Only one mob has anything (the warrior) on its hate list at this point.

When I was talking about Halfling warriors tagging from a fd I wasn't describing a situation where any one else already had aggro. It was a separate point to the ease of cycling through mobs.

Is it so strange for a warrior to turn up to a group with hundreds of bandages/arrows? I mean you might as well have something in those slots before you fill them with loot.

webrunner5
12-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Are you sure you know what I am saying? I think you misunderstood the situation I was describing.

Is it so strange for a warrior to turn up to a group with hundreds of bandages/arrows? I mean you might as well have something in those slots before you fill them with loot.

I understand. And I usually have 2 bags just filled with weapons. And most Warriors end up being Loot Whores. So I never carry over 2 bags of arrows. Add 2 bags of bandages and you are SOL for much loot. Sounds like a lot but when I play I play for hours. So never going to have enough Arrows for that long. :(

Bodybagger
12-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Halfling isn't even close to the worst choice for a warrior... honestly gnome, human, half elf, wood elf, dwarf, and dark elf are all behind Halfling imo if I were picking. I'd be picking between Ogre>Troll>Iksar>Bar personally, in that order save for a fresh rolled server where Barb would win out for me because I hate faction work and being evil SUCKS on a new roll without all the help of ports and developed economy etc. Makes almost no difference with full support form a server full of people... but big factor without tons of help. But otherwise, Barbarian is the only warrior I would choose over Halfling if picking a non evil race, and the advantage there is only awesome looks, great starting area, and slam.

loramin
12-19-2014, 03:36 PM
For what it's worth, on live on the Bristlebane server my friend had a Halfling Warrior who regularly main tanked for the top guild on the server (I'm referring to Meridoc of Club Fu for any former Bristlebane players). So whatever limitations Halfling Warriors might have, they didn't stop my friend from main tanking the toughest encounters on the server.

... then again, P99ers are like a million times more min/max-y than live players ever were, so you'll have to deal with that.