PDA

View Full Version : Nooby Paladin questions

Archerk-47
12-14-2014, 09:37 PM
So I'm thinking about a High-elf paladin but have no actual knowledge of how viable they are, especially considering I have no way of gearing him what so ever or anyone to play with. Just wondering how they are for solo and their dependence on gear for soloing. Thank you just trying to get my footing here, open to all advice and suggestions.

Bodybagger
12-14-2014, 10:42 PM
all melee classes are impossible (nearly) to viably solo without heavy twinking... even grouping is tough with no gear. Many classes easier than Paladin, but in the end, play what you want... you'll get help along the way and make friends to play with.

At least as you level up more there are lots of great undead zones to level in where oyu can nuke some effectively

Skittlez
12-14-2014, 11:23 PM
I went from 1-40 almost entirely solo in a suit of bronze, 55hp rings, and a Baton of Faith. Paladin solo is totally viable. It takes patience and requires your to learn the ins and outs of whatever camp your at. Way easier than a warrior without a doubt.

Give it a try, I'll hook you up with a full suit of bronze and a weapon.

Estu
12-14-2014, 11:52 PM
Paladins are very poor soloers. High elves are not good paladins because of their low STR and STA. Without decent gear, you'll find yourself going over your weight limit a lot, which is very bad news for a tank. It's doable, but be forewarned that it won't be very easy. On the plus side, if you watch your weight and you stick to grouping, you'll do well - paladins are great tanks even with little gear, since they just need to spam Flash of Light to hold aggro.

GinnasP99
12-15-2014, 12:14 AM
Spend alot of points in str, or go dwarf =)

username17
12-15-2014, 12:20 AM
As a 51 Dwarf pally I'd agree.

If you want to be a Tunare paladin for Nature's Defender looking into going Half-elf instead of high elf. You lose a lot of WIS but get better rounded stats.

Archerk-47
12-15-2014, 12:55 AM
Awesome TY everyone, sounds like i will roll dwarf than! again ty everyone have a good one

Jigawatts
12-15-2014, 01:10 AM
If you are going Dorf, make sure you put 5 of your starting stat points into agility to get you to a 75, there is an AC negative for being under 75. The rest can go in stamina.

Welcome to the server. :)

username17
12-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Grats! You picked the best Paladin race! Try to get a baton of faith (2hb) once you have 100p or so. It's a good weapon and can be found cheap.

Archerk-47
12-15-2014, 02:50 AM
Ty i did 15 stam 5 agil. Seems to be going pretty well. Ty all for advice see you out there!
(toons name is Dwalyn, cliche I know but I'm a Tolkien fan and don't have any other dwarf names)

Skittlez
12-15-2014, 09:32 AM
How is paladin hard to solo with exactly? Withvsoothe you keep from pulling more than one mob, then you root and joust them down. Heal after. Easy.

Bunch of babies here.

jolanar
12-15-2014, 10:38 AM
I play a monk and I've seen similar level paladins take down camps solo that I couldn't take with nothing more than basic gear and one of the many uber cheap paladin weapons.

There is a lot to be said for paladin utility, the ability to stun to interrupt casters is something I am extremely jealous of as a monk for example. :)

Not saying it won't be challenging but I think a lot of people overestimate the challenge in soloing the early and mid levels for a lot of classes in the game.

webrunner5
12-15-2014, 11:17 AM
How is paladin hard to solo with exactly? Withvsoothe you keep from pulling more than one mob, then you root and joust them down. Heal after. Easy.

Bunch of babies here.

I play one myself on here. Not a High Elf, eww, but you know and I know the reason they can't solo well is they have crap for DPS. If you want to take 10 minutes killing a mob well that's ok for you but not most people. There is a reason that a Pally is the LEAST played class on P1999. Lack of DPS, lets not sugarcoat it. :D

Estu
12-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Bunch of babies here.

Well, sure, it's easy, if you like EXPing at the rate of a snail.

kaev
12-15-2014, 12:47 PM

It's not quite incredibly terrible sub-40, but why? Why solo poorly with a class that shines gloriously in a group? Make friends, join a guild, whatever it takes.

Skittlez
12-15-2014, 01:56 PM
I play one myself on here. Not a High Elf, eww, but you know and I know the reason they can't solo well is they have crap for DPS. If you want to take 10 minutes killing a mob well that's ok for you but not most people. There is a reason that a Pally is the LEAST played class on P1999. Lack of DPS, lets not sugarcoat it. :D

If you try to kill undead it's really not that bad. 1-10 is the boring part, after that, hit up kurns Tower till your 20-22, then head to unrest. Can go from 14-40 there. Lot's of grouping opportunities and just about each camp there is soloable. Werebats are the slow to kill mob's since you can't cast undead nukes on em between strikes. I felt like I was leveling faster than my shaman was solo just root rotting.

Honestly not sure if it felt slow or not.

Skittlez
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
It's not quite incredibly terrible sub-40, but why? Why solo poorly with a class that shines gloriously in a group? Make friends, join a guild, whatever it takes.

XP is faster solo unless you just stick to a duo or trio I have always felt. I hate grouping with 4+ as a hybrid. That beautiful xp just gets sucked away.

I am greedy though and at this point of my EQ life, max xp rate is all I give a shit about. This is also coming from someone who still doesn't have a 60 after 2+ years here though so take it how you will. I really, really like alts. I think I have one of every class besides ranger.

Once the xp really slows down I just hop between toons when I'm bored. Slowly yet surely climbing the ladder on each. I also have this weird nestalgic feeling in the lower levels in the game because I never made it past 40 on live and it has me hooked. The higher level stuff gets a little boring quicker than I'd like.

Eww.. Ranger.

webrunner5
12-16-2014, 05:41 AM
I know I am known on here for knocking Pallys and there is good reasons why. But they ARE a good class with a lot of utility both grouped and solo. But Sony with the original expansions just screwed up most Hybrid classes lets face it.

Rangers pretty much suck also. Bards are good but about 4 people on here can really play one worth a crap in a group. SKs are probably the best of the bunch, but the best ones are Trolls or Iksars and God help you with a 68% XP penalty. They all are gimped on here until Velious comes out. There XP rate is slow as hell solo, and most group cringe when one wants to join. But you take them because you NEED a Tank lol.

A Paladin will be great pullers in Velious, and good spot healers and they will be much needed for all the rez's that happen a LOT in that expansion. But guess what, mobs in Velious have a LOT more HP than now and a Paladin will not get that much greater weapons, so they will suck even more with DPS. :o So I don't ever see them anywhere but at the bottom of the heap only classes played even when Velious comes out.

But some people just love them and that is what it is all about. Play what you like and enjoy the ride. Racing to 60 is not all its cracked up to be. You miss a lot of neat zones that few play in, lots of neat Quests, Tradeskills, etc. you name it.

So play on Pallys and you can say you are "one of the Few, the proud, the Pallys". :p