PDA

View Full Version : Low level gear?

Darkwinter
12-15-2014, 12:38 PM
For my Iksar necro...

I've reached level 8, thank goodness. But my gear is really suffering. I have the first robe I got from the page turn-in, and my starting dagger. That's it.

The things I have been killing aren't dropping gear pieces (Field of Bone, Swamp Of No Hope). So I managed to get myself to level 8 with little to wear.

Any suggestions on what to do? I've started killing bandits back in Field of Bone, but so far nothing to wear. I really need a staff.

Added: I've even checked vendors all over the place, inside Cabilis as well as just outside the doors of the cities. I checked Warslik Woods vendors last night. Nothing anywhere close to me price range.

Esheon
12-15-2014, 02:43 PM
You will not loot anything worth using for a long, long time, and you won't find much stat gear on a merchant (maybe a marauder snout ring). Thankfully, necro doesn't "need" much in the way of gear.

The Necromancer Skullcap Quests (http://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer_Skullcap_Quests) will eventually get you a decent hat... eventually.

Collect bone chips, spider silk, and spiderling silk (all in abundance in FoB). When your bags are full, get a port to WC (invis before porting) and sell the stuff in EC. Use the proceeds to buy some gear, then gate back home. The bottom of the Necro page on the wiki (http://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer) has some suggestions.

loramin
12-15-2014, 03:14 PM
Any suggestions on what to do? I've started killing bandits back in Field of Bone, but so far nothing to wear. I really need a staff.

Why do you need a staff? Your pet and spells should be doing most of your damage, and whatever weapon you already have (even if it's just the n00b dagger) should be good enough for the rest. Your gear is not "suffering", it's normal for a low level character. Even if you got teleported to WC and someone handed you 100 plat to spend, I promise you would barely notice the difference vs. what you have now (an int caster is going to take damage when they get hit, no matter how much AC they have).

The good news is that you're a caster, and casters don't need gear. You should embrace that and focus on leveling without worrying about gear. When you get to the 40s (or better yet 50s) then you'll be able to farm plat and get gear (that will actually matter).

Bodybagger
12-15-2014, 03:47 PM
learn to sit for med ticks, learn to play class more efficiently... a good player with no gear is better than a twinked to death bad player.... at least as far as casters go. Learn to time med ticks, learn to agro and fear kite, give your pet weapons, etc. etc.

All your gear will ever do for you is give you a large mana pool, which you won't need if you're playing efficiently.

burdenday
12-15-2014, 04:00 PM
learn to sit for med ticks, learn to play class more efficiently... a good player with no gear is better than a twinked to death bad player.... at least as far as casters go. Learn to time med ticks, learn to agro and fear kite, give your pet weapons, etc. etc.

All your gear will ever do for you is give you a large mana pool, which you won't need if you're playing efficiently.

Good tips. However, gear is necessary as you level up. Mob HP begins to exceed player HP and damage potential once you hit ~30.

If you're gearing up for the first time as a caster realize your spells start to cost real money real fast. I'd suggest trying to hoard bone chips from Kurns and sell them to a higher level player. Getting some 5ac 55hp rings will save your life and expand your mana pool as a necro too.

Darkwinter
12-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies. So far I'm doing pretty good, it just felt weird to not be getting new gear. I'm coming from years of World of Warcraft, which throws gear at you constantly.

I will say that the areas right around the Iksar capital are pretty neat.

iruinedyourday
12-15-2014, 05:08 PM
looks like u got a long way (lvl 24) till these http://wiki.project1999.com/Shadowbound_Armor_Quests

hmm maybe if you want low level gear, travel to the qynos/karanas area?.. there are things to kill and many low low level quests there!

but.. if your iksar that may be a very bad suggestion, does anyone know if the necro guild in Qeynos will be friendly to a iksar?

Sorry if these are all go nowhere suggestions for you.

But yea EQ is like you are like an NPC till your 20's... meaning you dont have very much in the way of gear... just a pesant in cloth out killing moss snakes...

LIKE RL!!! so immersed.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4134/4899429947_b60fb08e94.jpg

Bodybagger
12-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Good tips. However, gear is necessary as you level up. Mob HP begins to exceed player HP and damage potential once you hit ~30.

If you're gearing up for the first time as a caster realize your spells start to cost real money real fast. I'd suggest trying to hoard bone chips from Kurns and sell them to a higher level player. Getting some 5ac 55hp rings will save your life and expand your mana pool as a necro too.

He's lvl 8, and an efficiently played necro could pretty well play naked or only in gear they farmed themselves from 1-60, and more gear would only make them more efficient a small amount of the time I'd wager.

Definitely is a large change of pace form constant gear whore games like WoW, Diablo, Borderlands, where you upgrade several times during each play session, especially in early stages. EQ is vastly different, and unless you meet very generous people, as a caster, you will do well to afford your spells until past lvl 20 or so. You also won't need the gear, as it won't make much difference, other than a mild edge in survivability in "oh shit" moments where things go south perhaps.

But gear won't make your pet or DOT's do more damage, won't let you melee successfully, etc. You'll just get more mana to cast the same weak spells, most of which for you are DoT so casting more does nothing. If you don't know how med ticks work, look into that and learn to sit between catss and time med ticks, you'll feel like you have endless mana and as a necro eventually you will.

hammertime7795
12-16-2014, 02:09 AM
From 12 to mid 20s necros are one of the most effecient melee classes with the best damage shield in the game and a life tap proc. So they do need some gear. If you let your pet do more than half the damage you lose half the exp so you don't want your pet doing most of the damage. Fear kiting is not really viable until late 30s. Farm spider silks and make your own raw silk armor that will help a bit and make ya feel better. Sell the rest of the silk to get yourself 55hp rings x2 which will last you for 50+ levels. get a sacrificial dagger for 50p or so which is a pretty good piercer and with vampiric embrace makes you a bad ass melee until you can charm undead in unrest for a real pet.

webrunner5
12-16-2014, 05:21 AM
After about level 8 you should probably never Melee anymore. I don't ever have a weapon equipped on mine.

Yeah the HP rings, which by the way cost 500 plat so way out of your range and some cheap mana rings, and earrings, and a nice looking Robe and you are in business.

Gear does help no matter what people say. More HP and a bigger mana pool does help keep you alive longer. But a Necro and a Mage can pretty much level to 60 naked and make it if you learn how to play it well. And sad to say not too many Necros on here really do. It is a lot more complicated class than people think.

Like has been said you have to get higher to get good loot, and going to EC and looting Bone Chips and HQ Bear Hides, Spiderling Silks is a good way to make some plat. Very little loot in FoB or even Kurns Tower other than a few weapon drops there.

You picked a good class, just learn it and stick with it. They are scary good after about level 20. :D

hammertime7795
12-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Necros are awesome melee you clearly missed out on a lot of the necros tools. Until past 20 they are just sick melee because of self buffs. Just sick exp. You should do nothing but self buff and melee until 20, tank for your pet. Tap once in a while.

Tulidian
12-16-2014, 08:36 AM
I apparently have a different philosophy when it comes to gearing up at low levels. I recently started a Druid from scratch, and was lucky enough to have a few minor WIS pieces gifted to me by a friendly Cleric. I am level 20 now, and by concentrating on camps that get me both xp and plat, I've been able to outfit myself with decent gear on top of what I was given. I'm up to 160 WIS and some +mana pieces, which increases my mana pool by about 250 (according to the wiki). That's not insignificant.

No doubt the most efficient way would be to just level as fast as possible, but it's possible to make a little plat at the same time.

Bodybagger
12-16-2014, 11:32 AM
I bet I play more efficiently catching med ticks on my casters than 90% or more of the twinks with huge mana pools ever see, giving me a much large actual used mana pool, as far as pve/leveling goes.

As far as efficient melee... if you say so... but standing and fighting you aren't regenning mana and without rings and twink gear, you aren't taking those hits and mitigating damage well so relying solely on proc and tap (til you oom inevitably) to regen mana is tough for a non twink, without a good weapon...

but if you've got a Rod of Annihilation, by all means, melee your way to 40+ for all I care lol

hammertime7795
12-16-2014, 12:10 PM
I bet I play more efficiently catching med ticks on my casters than 90% or more of the twinks with huge mana pools ever see, giving me a much large actual used mana pool, as far as pve/leveling goes.

As far as efficient melee... if you say so... but standing and fighting you aren't regenning mana and without rings and twink gear, you aren't taking those hits and mitigating damage well so relying solely on proc and tap (til you oom inevitably) to regen mana is tough for a non twink, without a good weapon...

but if you've got a Rod of Annihilation, by all means, melee your way to 40+ for all I care lol

You don't need the mana regen and you don't need a rod of annihilation. The procs keep you healed and do damage the ds does damage. You really can't get any more efficient than that. I always ran out of mobs before I ran out of mana. Thats how I soloed Main room in unrest until I got my lvl 20 charm. This was as an iksar though if you are a softskin you probably would not do as well. With the iskar ac bonus and the self and cleric ac buff that necros get you mitigate pretty well at that lvl. Post 24 you're better off playing a traditional caster but until then Necros are just superior melee/tanks than they are casters.

webrunner5
12-16-2014, 01:13 PM
I play mostly healer classes. And having some mana is good. And in the beginning I went Whole Hog for wis, mana items in the Tunnel. But guess what, no matter how much mana you have you run out. And then you have to sit on your butt for 10 minutes to get it back. And a group can break up if people sort of sit around for too long. And the pullers and other casters in the group get a chance to med or take a short break if you only sit say 4 minutes instead of 10.

I find on Casters it is better to have a moderate amount of total mana and some good HP gear to go along with it so you live longer. And hope like hell you put some points into strength when you created the toon to start with. You sure as heck at low levels are not going to afford 8 Tink Bags. So no loot no plat. :eek: YMMV

Poosammich
12-17-2014, 10:05 AM
After 8 you should be able to start focusing almost exclusively on Undead as an iksar. Go into the Pit in FoB, and pull the white, and yellow skeletons out to the fringe. Due to Ward Undead you should be able to move pretty quickly here. After 12 its into Kurn's, you can do just fine in there after the lvl 12 pet. Once you get used to the spawns in here you can fear kite no problem with Spook the Dead, works like a charm. In a pinch I've even been able to kite 2 when I get a pop. Gear helps, but you'll be just fine... After 16 inside Kurn's at least IMO there are some money making opportunities, but you have to get lucky. Iksar Berserker, Skeletal Cook quest, etc.

I'm in limited gear too, my int is only 104, and I'm wearing mostly crafted silk. Guildies have helped me out, but only very little. Also kill some Marauders for the nose ring, if there is nothing there currently a little stam won't hurt. Also while in Kurn's loot any gear that drops(Burynai, and Reinforced Rhino) it goes for 1-2pp a peice because at 12 spells aren't cheap up to 4pp each.

On the melee bit, I only jump in when my pet is eating it. Other than that the dots after 12 will out damage your pet as long as you're using them. Or just drop 1 dot, and DD with undead spell to get <50% dmg. After I get Banshee Aura that may change. =]