PDA

View Full Version : Pretty new to EQ, Advice on Halfling Rogues?

Ac888
12-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Hey I'm pretty new to this game, this being my first EQ server, I have a couple other characters on here that I leveled a little but nothing close to end game.

I decided to make a Halfling Rogue cause I wanted to try one out and liked the idea of just plain dpsing things down rather than tanking and they have a nice exp bonus with Halfings too, also being small makes good for rogues imo.

Just looking for some advice on what items I should work on getting first and good places to farm plat for a lowbie :)

Thanks!

Doil_Boil
12-25-2014, 10:14 PM
Farming plat isn't really worth the time for a lowbie. Rock out some exp, try to loot as much as you can to get a decent primary weap, and level up. Once you get higher level the plat comes a lot more quickly.

Cillaz
12-25-2014, 11:06 PM
As a rogue try and get a set of banded or ringmail armour (should be around 60-100pish for a set) And keep an eye out as sometimes people give away newbie/lowbie items. If you see me online send me a tell and I'll see if I can get you a strarting stabber!

Jimjam
12-26-2014, 02:56 AM
The first think you need is a good weapon.

I recommend a piercing weapon with as high DMG as you can afford. This will synergise well with your backstab ability at level ten. Before level 5 you might want to settle for a weapon with 8 DMG, as this will let you one-hit-kill level 1 mobs for xp.

Bone chips, spiderling silks and high quality bear skins are things you want to save to vendor to players in order to afford this first weapon. Any left over bone chips you can save to turn in for XP in the dwarf city of kaladim.

Typically I start my new characters in North Ro, killing decaying skeletons around the inn just outside of East Freeport. You will get a few bags/boxes and some rusty weapons and cloth you can vendor straight to the merchant there.

Doing 1-5 there might get you 20-30pp and several stacks of bone chips (sell to players for 5-10pp a stack to finance that first weapon). Feel free to move on earlier if it feels slow. East Commons is a zone adjacent to North Ro. If you are really struggling you can pick up some buffs there, and maybe grab a summoned spear from a magician.

If you'd rather stay near rivervale, just kill everything you can saving HQ bearskins, spiderling silks and bone chips. Wear any small cloth you find, the paltry AC makes a big difference at low level. Perhaps turn ruined wolf skins into small tattered armor. Try to start/join goblin camp groups when you can. It's good to start making friends early as they will help you find groups later and provide you with other players to chat with.

The runnyeye warbeads can be turned in for xp/food at the top of the bank. Often very evil players can be found killing the city guards. Many times they will let you loot the guards shields, which vendor for 1pp each. Occasionally they will let you take a spear (which is loads better than your newbie dagger) if they see you don't have anything better.

Good luck!

bloodmuffin
12-26-2014, 04:36 AM
Rogue was my first main, it takes a while to build up decent gear that's for sure. Once you level up and can bank at least 100p go for a Jagged Chokidai Spine, I believe it's the best damage delay for the price. Upgrades out of that are Jade Chokidai Prod 11/30 for 500p, then when you have 2-3k in bank grab a Serpent's Tooth or a Rapier of Oriin until you can get Epic.

Keep leveling is my advice, don't get stuck around 40-50 keep pushing for 55, don't let greed or class envy burn you out, and get the hell away from KC as soon as possible. The game really opens up around the higher levels when you need to sneak through a dungeon for corpse recovery or lock pick a door so you become a valuable asset to groups. That being said this is by far my favorite class although it's frustrating (missing Backstab/doubles constantly in a fight), squishy, and mundane at times I still had a blast with him.

You won't be able to farm any decent places but I've found some cash camps that can be taken just by face tanking and some blood points.

tip: You can get your backstab off even when face tanking, strafe to the left and you'll see the mob "pop" to your direction most mobs seem to do this, most of the time you can strafe and then backstab him quickly from the side before he "pops" to your direction, don't try to get behind him at all just to his side, doesn't work every time but with practice you'll get the hang of it.

webrunner5
12-26-2014, 06:03 AM
You want Strength items for a Rogue. The more strength the harder you hit backstab wise. I HOPE you put a LOT of Strength into it when you started it???

If not you need to re roll it.

Ac888
12-26-2014, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I have another Rogue I made way back and a Dragoon Dirk and Stiletto of the Bloodclaw but I made the mistake of spending money on the wrong armor and I put the wrong points into the wrong stats at the start cause I didn't know what I was doing lol. I basically decided to re roll from that point because I wasn't that far, its just a shame that I have those items stuck on that character :(

I'm going to be sticking around Rivervale for a bit, only level 4 atm, and just grind yard trash until I can upgrade some stuff and group up. Names Faxus if you're in the area though.

foldupmonk
12-26-2014, 12:35 PM
You could easily find someone around RV to transfer the items for ya

Bodybagger
12-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Barbarian rogue gets 5% bonus xp still, gets slam which is killer for caster interrupts, gets throwing boulders which is ungodly thrown damage, and also gets best starting strength and stamina (most important stats).... just fyi. Hands down best rogue class if you want an easy life starting out, and want to be the best possible end game. You get illusion masks that make you dark elf and other races if you want also, in the future.

Can't suggest barbarian enough to anyone considering rogue!

Sadre Spinegnawer
12-26-2014, 05:05 PM
If you are not too high level yet, make sure you do Befallen. Unless I am mistaken, it is the first zone which really benefits from having a rogue around. Lockpicking ftw.

Don't worry about plat. Plat comes with grinding out levels, and levels often take a looooong time. There is simply a TON of stuff for sale at fair prices on p99, and as you get plat you will pretty easily gear yourself up just fine.

And learn how to not steal aggro. I don;t care how cute halflings are, no cleric wants to drain their mana healing a rogue who can't let the tank do his/her job.

webrunner5
12-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Yeah, Befallen is a great place to raise you Lock picking skills and a damn good zone XP wise because of the ZeM.

Welcome aboard. I know you don't have the plat but the Rogue Epic is one of the easiest to get and to buy MQ wise on here by far. And they are deadly with it. :eek: