PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding EQClassic.org (Please don't bite my head off!)

PyraGrinda
09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Having just discovered Project1999 today, I instantly started signing up and downloading whatever I would need to get into a (decent!) EverQuest world again (I tried live EverQuest a couple of times since 2001 and I just can't stand it... it's full of WoW kiddies lol).

Browsing the forums, i've just seen Secrets (developer) who I know used to work with EQClassic.org. I had problems with EQClassic.org because I had the audacity to ask a few questions, as I hadn't heard of Project1999 at the time (sorry, I truly wish I had!), and YeahLight went on a banning spree (IP-range ban) so I couldn't contact anybody with regard to the website, forums, or IRC. Not that I was pissed off by that, of course (anonymous proxies are good fun) :P

So I was just wondering... how's life 'on the other side', as it were, Secrets? and anybody else that escaped the EQClassic project?

Pyra
Formerly of Erollisi Marr
Grinda 60 Warrior
Pyrastilia 60 Necromancer

Secrets
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Having just discovered Project1999 today, I instantly started signing up and downloading whatever I would need to get into a (decent!) EverQuest world again (I tried live EverQuest a couple of times since 2001 and I just can't stand it... it's full of WoW kiddies lol).

Browsing the forums, i've just seen Secrets (developer) who I know used to work with EQClassic.org. I had problems with EQClassic.org because I had the audacity to ask a few questions, as I hadn't heard of Project1999 at the time (sorry, I truly wish I had!), and YeahLight went on a banning spree (IP-range ban) so I couldn't contact anybody with regard to the website, forums, or IRC. Not that I was pissed off by that, of course (anonymous proxies are good fun) :P

So I was just wondering... how's life 'on the other side', as it were, Secrets? and anybody else that escaped the EQClassic project?

Pyra
Formerly of Erollisi Marr
Grinda 60 Warrior
Pyrastilia 60 Necromancer

Hi. Sorry for tracking you down back on EQClassic. I was wronged as much as you were. Enjoy your stay here; it's a lot better on the flip side. It may not be as classic, but it's more enjoyable.

Life on the flip side is good, though. I still have high hopes for EQClassic though. If they have the dedication to put in the effort we made with a smaller team, more power to them.

Anaiyah
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Hi. Sorry for tracking you down back on EQClassic. I was wronged as much as you were. Enjoy your stay here; it's a lot better on the flip side. It may not be as classic, but it's more enjoyable.

Life on the flip side is good, though. I still have high hopes for EQClassic though. If they have the dedication to put in the effort we made with a smaller team, more power to them.

Not as classic as what lol? A bunch of flaming tards posting in a useless forum?

Secrets
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Not as classic as what lol? A bunch of flaming tards posting in a useless forum?

EQClassic actually have a decent codebase, the only thing they are severely lacking is a netcode and database, really.

I know because I used to dev there on the database.

There's a copy of EQC available on code.google.com/p/projecteqemu under archived releases, if anyone ever wanted to mess with it. I'll admit; a few of their systems were adapted to EQEmu. They did some things better than we did, we did some things better than they did. Best part is EQEmu is open, so they can just take whatever. There's some things in P1999 that is better than even EQEmu, though. Rogean has done a lot of work making it better and more stable than EQEmu has ever been. I'd like to see if we can get the changes into eqemu's svn at some point, but that's probably wishful thinking.