PDA

View Full Version : Are clerics desired at most/all levels?

gehmnal
01-05-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm looking to move to P99 for my mmo "needs", as Everquest Live has moved on to something that I barely recognize, and grouping seems almost non-existent due to mercs and boxing.

I must be a Dwarf (don't ask, it's a thing with me ever since I started with AD&D), and I played a paladin in EQLive. I have fond memories of him but I also remember how hard it could be when going solo so I'm hoping a cleric might not be as bad, and more in demand for grouping.

Would anyone have any advice for me between the two? Thank you in advance.

Bristlebard
01-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Both tanks and healers are in pretty high demand for XP groups. But, at the same time, clever players can make XP groups work (and work well) without either. So you probably won't be logging on to be instantly spammed with group invites with either class.

Cleric will certainly be "easier" to level 1-60. They are pretty potent for soloing undead, even with no twinking, from 1-50ish. They are far and away the best healers in the game. They don't have the paladin XP penalty. They have caster perks like bind and gate, plus rez. Cleric is definitely in higher demand at higher levels and in Velious.

Paladins are unique snowflakes though. Not many people play them, and they ARE very good tanks who also can solo in a pinch.

My advice would be to rely on your experience with EQ to pick the class that you think you'd have more fun with and then work on filling up a friends list (or getting a guild) so that you have people you know to group with. No matter your class, you'll find times when you have trouble finding a group, and having a go-to group of people to join makes a big difference... or at least gives you some people to chat with while you solo or keep looking for a group :)

webrunner5
01-07-2015, 11:05 AM
The above post had very good advise. Hard to add to that other than get into a Guild as fast as you can, and at least you can get involved in guild chat to get groups, advice, gear, etc. Really helps on here. :)

Welcome aboard. And like he said, Clerics will be even more needed in Velious.

Enderenter
01-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Clerics are one of the highest demand classes in the game, if not the single most. There can never be enough of them, in my opinion.

DrKvothe
01-07-2015, 01:19 PM
Clerics have better high performance duos/trios than plate tanks. You can duo many exp camps with an enchanter, for example. You can get into groups at lower levels than any other class, because the discrepancy between your level and mob level doesn't really matter.

Xer0
01-08-2015, 04:28 AM
Clerics are one of the highest demand classes in the game, if not the single most. There can never be enough of them, in my opinion.

Did "Agent Sinzan" replay in anyone elses mind while reading this post?

... need more cleric...

webrunner5
01-08-2015, 12:45 PM

I don't think I would go as far as that statement lol. And I even have a Cleric. :eek: I think more groups Cheer when a Shaman shows up over a Cleric as of now. In Velious that will probably side more toward the Cleric in the tougher zones. :p

gehmnal
01-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Settled on Cleric for grouping purposes and still fits the bill of a holy warrior type battling undead (and any other scourges to Norrath). :)

Cheers!

Vellaen
01-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Did "Agent Sinzan" replay in anyone elses mind while reading this post?

... need more cleric...

I still have a copy of that. And I still get a laugh out of it.

Itap
01-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Never enough until a group gets one. Then there is enough. With say druids you can fill up a group with them and you got pulls nukes roots pets crowd control healing... the works.

stop trolling non RnF threads pls

Herp
01-08-2015, 10:59 PM
With say druids you can fill up a group with them and you got pulls nukes roots pets crowd control healing... the works.

keep that shit to rnf or get banned sooner than later.

Herp
01-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Assuming we ever see Velious, clerics will be, hands down, the make or break class for almost every raid target in the entire expansion.

Clerics are THE factor for Velious. In kunark, they are nice, but not necessarily needed for their healing. You can kill VP mobs without a cleric if you tried hard enough (its been done by IB).. 32k hp is 32k hp. Come velious, complete healing is a must.

Bristlebard
01-08-2015, 11:49 PM
stop trolling non RnF threads pls

Druids can do all that. Where's the troll?

DrKvothe
01-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Never enough until a group gets one. Then there is enough. With say druids you can fill up a group with them and you got pulls nukes roots pets crowd control healing... the works.

A group full of druids because the other groups wouldn't invite them? A comparison of the demand for druids vs clerics is pretty funny. Druids can act like weak wizards? Wizards aren't getting invited either.

iruinedyourday
01-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Settled on Cleric for grouping purposes and still fits the bill of a holy warrior type battling undead (and any other scourges to Norrath). :)

Cheers!

I like your RP

Raev
01-09-2015, 02:39 AM
Clerics are simply fantastic, and also one of the most poorly played classes. I think most people who pick cleric do so because they know it's a shortcut to joining a high-end guild. Every guild wants clerics, and raiding on a cleric is pretty straightforward: cast buffs, cast ch, count to 5, cast ch again, rez after a wipe, etc.

But in small groups the cleric spellbook has so much more: DA, dispells, stuns, blurs, calms, roots, etc and most people never use any of it; they picked cleric because they just want to sit there semi AFK. I mean so few clerics even do basic things like stunning the enchanter's charmed pet when it breaks. I guarantee with that one simple habit your friends list will fill up with Enchanters and you'll duo/trio your way to 60 in record time - and make some good bank along the way.

kcsdman
01-09-2015, 05:18 AM
http://s22.postimg.org/p52lsx029/MD_the_troll.jpg

Mentathiel
01-09-2015, 05:29 AM
I have been in Unrest groups with multiple clerics; each one had their role and each one contributed. Yes, Befallen/Unrest/Mistmoore will be the exception rather than the rule, but it's already been mentioned that clerics can do more than just rez and heal.

If MarcusD has seen parties turn down a second cleric, I can only imagine the kind of pick-up groups he's been joining.

Sirken
01-09-2015, 05:59 AM
I'm looking to move to P99 for my mmo "needs", as Everquest Live has moved on to something that I barely recognize, and grouping seems almost non-existent due to mercs and boxing.

I must be a Dwarf (don't ask, it's a thing with me ever since I started with AD&D), and I played a paladin in EQLive. I have fond memories of him but I also remember how hard it could be when going solo so I'm hoping a cleric might not be as bad, and more in demand for grouping.

Would anyone have any advice for me between the two? Thank you in advance.

everybody loves a cleric

Satren
01-09-2015, 11:27 AM
No smart person ever fills a group with druids. As a druid in higher levels you will be lucky to get a group. Also with someone of your reputation and class you will more then likely never get a group higher level.

Jimjam
01-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Excepting charming animal adds, I feel clerics have better CC than druids. They also got some pulling tools and nukes.

If a group was willing to take two druids it would probably be willing to take two clerics.

I find having a spare healer is good insurance against your healer dropping group suddenly. So any second priest is valuable from that perspective.

maskedmelon
01-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Excepting charming animal adds, I feel clerics have better CC than druids. They also got some pulling tools and nukes.

I am inclined to agree with this because clerics generally sit on their ass and only bother rooting if attacked at which point they root it where they were seated and move away. Druids on the other hand challenge groups with liberal application of proactive crowd control, rooting everything as soon as it enters the camp sending tanks to positioning hell with a swift kick to the ankles.

LulzSect
01-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Clerics fucking rock. Group or Solo undead to 60.

Bristlebard
01-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Solo undead to 60.

Solo cleric 1-50 is pretty solid.

I can't imagine trying to go 50-60 solo though.

Jimjam
01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
I am inclined to agree with this because clerics generally sit on their ass and only bother rooting if attacked at which point they root it where they were seated and move away. Druids on the other hand challenge groups with liberal application of proactive crowd control, rooting everything as soon as it enters the camp sending tanks to positioning hell with a swift kick to the ankles.

Druid root breaks mez. I don't think druids get the choice to memblur things either?

I never really played a druid. I always loved my shaman and have played a couple of clerics fairly casually.

MarcusD's mixture of blind enthusiasm and half-informed hard lining has inspired me to roll a druid so I can see for myself what the real deal is.

jturkydurk
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Shaman and Cleric are both always desired at all levels.

I've played both til about 40, and I much prefer playing my Cleric.

In groups as a Shaman, people just expect too goddamn much out of your mana bar. They'll want multiple stat buffs, SoW, regen/talismans constantly applied WHILE you also heal and debuff mobs. It's ridiculous all the stuff you have to do to "fill your role".

with a Cleric, you're mostly meditating and preserving your mana to pull off huge heals and periodically save your group from dire situations. You're not investing a huge amount of concentration, but you're critical to the group and everyone knows it.

Cleric all the way

webrunner5
01-13-2015, 01:26 PM

I play all 3 healing classes, and all are high level. Cleric, Shaman and Druid. And I would agree a Druid below level 50 is probably more desirable than a Cleric in most normal groups. Not the really hard stuff, but most people do the normal XP progression, CB, Unrest, Oasis of Marr, MM, CoM, KC. And a Druid works damn well most of the time in them. And guess what EVERYONE of those zones are outdoor zones. Harmony is a amazing spell alone, and add Snare, wow. And who does not want SoW or Thornes, Ports, exacs, etc, etc,?? A Druid is one hell of a powerful class outdoors up to say level 50. And no slouch in Dungeons till then either.

But a Cleric is a lot more laid back, Druid next, than Shaman the busiest of all. I play all 3 in different situations, above 52ish the Druid is mostly a Port Whore and solo toon. But a Druid with Animal Charm at high levels is pretty damn powerful.

But come Velious I will bet my Cleric will be the most played of my healers just because of how hard mobs hit, Complete Heal will be a God Send, and the need for a Rez, which will happen a lot. One hell of long runs through zones not to take one in Velious. And who wants to lose XP. :eek: But they are all needed, and all fun to play. So up to you which poison you pick.

But a Shaman and a Druid can solo in Velious well, Shaman the best, but a high end Cleric, well don't think so.

LulzSect
01-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Solo cleric 1-50 is pretty solid.

I can't imagine trying to go 50-60 solo though.

There are groups to be had in Charasis, the Hole. You don't have to solo, but you can!