PDA

View Full Version : Few questions from a new player

Saysay
01-14-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi,

I am completely new to Everquest. After reading some of the passionate postings on mmorpg.com about this game (and one in particular pointing me to Project 1999) I decided to check it out. Last night I rolled my first character, a gnome enchanter on the Red server--and after about 3 1/2 hours of game play I have a few questions.

So far I have explored most of the cave-town I started in (Az'akan?) and been killing gnome skeletons and rats outside on the left (Steamfront Mountains?). Those might not be right but I am logged out at the moment. After I hit level 3 I jogged back into town and talked to my trainer but I have no idea what I am supposed to be training, or what that even does. At level 1, during my initial exploration, I found the trainer and put points into alteration, conjuration, and evocation after briefly reading up on them. The skills themselves still listed as being awful--what exactly does leveling up the skill at the trainer do then? I've tried pulling up a few guides but it has been hard to find guides that are relevant to this version of the game as most of what I have been reading seems to be for the newer expansions.

Where can I pick up spells? A guide I was reading said in PoK, not sure where that is (or maybe its a new area). I have almost a full set of cloth armor from farming the mobs outside of the town but have not received an upgraded dagger and the weaponsmith didn't have one (the one I have does 3 points of damage). Will I be able to upgrade that soon?

It is good to be playing here. I am hoping to make it past the archaic interface and combat system (most like a MUD with graphics) to enjoy some of the awesome grouping I heard about on the mmorpg.com forums. See you in game.

Jigawatts
01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
First off, welcome.

Secondly, you dont need to use the trainer skill points, skills will level automatically by using them, and most have a cap depending on your level. You need to put one point into Meditate when you hit level 4, Research at 16, Specialization at 20, and Dodge at 22. Its also advisable to spend one point in Swimming and Sense Heading right at the beginning. Other than that, theres nothing you need to spend points on. And dont worry about what the "rating" next to the skill says, thats pretty much pure fluff.

You chose Enchanter eh, thats a very deep end class, and probably unlike anything you have ever played before in any other MMO. A support based class who specializes in CC and charming, they are tough to play extremely well, but if you do then you will never be lacking in groups and friends.

Many of your spells can be bought from the merchants in the Enchanters Guild (especially the low level ones), later on you will have to research to get some spells, and some extremely high level ones are random drops. The "PoK" (stands for Plane of Knowledge) is something from a later expansion that will never be implemented on P99, it is basically a centralized hub for everything, with many people claiming that it ruined the game, its all a moot point on P99 anyway.

Make sure you utilize the P99 wiki. You can read up on your class, the spells, it has a newbie guide, and info for every item and quest in the game.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Main_Page

Good luck and happy hunting.

CreamyCowboy
01-14-2015, 03:56 PM
It is good to be playing here. I am hoping to make it past the archaic interface and combat system (most like a MUD with graphics) to enjoy some of the awesome grouping I heard about on the mmorpg.com forums. See you in game.

There is a lot of filtering and changes you can do with the interface to clear it up a bit. You can make several chat windows to filter all the spam type stuff that you don't want to see and filter hits / misses etc in your options screen.

It's a lot to learn, even if you are coming from other mmo's. Everquest back in the day was absolutely bare bones of a game. No map, no compass, not arrows pointing which way to go .. no idea how to identify quest npcs etc.

It'll take some getting used to but I still love it after 15-16 years. I miss the map but that's about it heh.

Grab some bags when you can, loot and vendor everything possible to make you a little cash to keep up with spells. I would check the wiki and look at the spells and buy the essential ones only to save you a bit of cash. Leveling up very quickly makes spells obsolete.

Good luck and have fun!