PDA

View Full Version : New Player from 2000

Kajaen
01-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Hey, all! I played EQ back from '99-2000 and got a necromancer, shadowknight, and cleric to 60. Fantastic times as far as I remember. Anyway, I'm currently downloading everything and getting it all set up and I have to say that I'm really excited. However, I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I really want to play a paladin. I never did for whatever reason, so I want to remedy that. I'm torn between the Half Elf and the Dwarf for races. I looked on the wiki and there seems to be a huge disparity between their starting stats. How big of impact does this have on their viability? I remember Half Elf paladins not being too rare back in the day, so they can't be too gimped, but I want to make sure before starting.

Other than that, any tips for a newbie?

Biaxil
01-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Yea, play on Red. Spawns aren't perma camped, raiding is open, and we have an insane exp bonus.

CreamyCowboy
01-14-2015, 03:47 PM
Hey, all! I played EQ back from '99-2000 and got a necromancer, shadowknight, and cleric to 60. Fantastic times as far as I remember. Anyway, I'm currently downloading everything and getting it all set up and I have to say that I'm really excited. However, I have a couple of questions.

First of all, I really want to play a paladin. I never did for whatever reason, so I want to remedy that. I'm torn between the Half Elf and the Dwarf for races. I looked on the wiki and there seems to be a huge disparity between their starting stats. How big of impact does this have on their viability? I remember Half Elf paladins not being too rare back in the day, so they can't be too gimped, but I want to make sure before starting.

Other than that, any tips for a newbie?

I don't think starting stats will have any major effect on gameplay since they can be easily maxed later in the game with buffs / gear. It's all cosmetic if you ask me. Half elfs + paladin I think = big exp penalty.

Don't forget it's really really slow from like 1-10. Grind in your starting area until mobs are green then move to something more viable.

I can't vouch for red since I play on blue .. but be prepared to see "join red join red!" thrown in your face all the time here. That pretty much makes me not want to join simply for the fact they are constantly talking about it.

Jigawatts
01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
Dwarves have the best paladin starting stats, and half-elves will suffer a bit from the low wisdom/mana. If you want to min-max, play a dwarf, though I personally went human for my pally alt, because I like the human plate look and I wanted to worship Mith Marr. In the end, play what you want.

If you do go dwarf, make sure to put the 5 points into agility to bring it up to a 75 so you wont take the AC negative, the rest can go into stam.

Kajaen
01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks all. I think that I'm going to start a Half Elf tonight. Split points between stamina and wisdom, or all stamina?

Jigawatts
01-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Normally I think I'd say most/all in stam, but for a half elf I think I would go 10 stam/10 wis.

Are you planning on being a follower of Tunare? I ask because come Velious you will get access to a sweet weapon that is arguably better than your epic if you do.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

Nuggie
01-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Elves get the easy epic sword in velious. Dwarves have better stats. Dwarves have problem with large steps in velious and also lower charisma (more critical fails on those calms)

Baugi
01-16-2015, 01:02 AM
Normally I think I'd say most/all in stam, but for a half elf I think I would go 10 stam/10 wis.

Are you planning on being a follower of Tunare? I ask because come Velious you will get access to a sweet weapon that is arguably better than your epic if you do.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

A half-elf who doesn't worship MM Randy Savage just seems wrong.

Sword is neat though; forgot it had so much AC.

Gustoo
01-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Blue is fun but there is an absurd situation regarding raid mobs if you plan on being level 60.

Red has PVP which adds some spice to the server, and if you want to kill dragons you won't have any problem doing so.

But both servers are rock solid.

Personally I'd go dwarf or human

Swish
01-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Not sure if it's too late, but go TUNARE! :p

w1zard
01-16-2015, 01:50 AM
Elves get easy quest for http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

Dwarfs have better stats.

Overall by end game it doesn't matter too much.

Min-Max = Dwarf

Gustoo
01-16-2015, 02:02 AM
Is na tures defender actually the best weapon for a pally in velious tho?

Swish
01-16-2015, 02:04 AM
Elves get easy quest for http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

http://epicquestadventures.tripod.com/images/natures_defender_worn.jpg

<3

I'm not really into paladins but if it isn't the best its got to be top 3 surely?

maskedmelon
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM
Everyone knows that the most intelligent Paladins are Erudites :p I you have already made your character though, so I'll not pressure you any further to do the right thing. I will however commend your choice of the half elf over the dwarf! Dwarves is ooglay! Welcome and may God's mercy be your shield and His wrath your blade! Pras the Ocean Lord!

Kajaen
01-16-2015, 01:12 PM
I ended up going Half Elf worshipping Tunare. I'm currently up in Halas, hanging out with my barbarian friends and having a blast. Now if only ruined wolf pelts created medium sized armor...