PDA

View Full Version : Never played EQ before.

Wargrade
01-31-2015, 02:34 AM
So I never played EQ before. I am looking to explore the 'roots' of the MMO scene.

Are there any groups of players out there that would welcome a newbie to their group? I am still deciding on what kind of character to create, doing my research now.

Looking forward to joining this community and meeting some good folks.

Thanks for reading.

polishanarchy
01-31-2015, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the server!

I think you'll find that groups are just about everywhere -- I would recommend avoiding the Erudin, Qeynos, and Ak'Anon starting areas however. Freeport will give you quick access to East Commons, which is commerce central. Greater Faydark (Kelethin, Felwithe) is always good for new players too, though you can get lost if you aren't careful... And if you like Iksar, Field of Bone is always a great place to group early on!

Be sure to check out the project1999 wiki if you haven't found it already. There's tons of information and guides that can help get you started, not to mention maps.

ko37qtl
01-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Welcome! If you've got your heart set on any of the above areas that polishanarchy wisely told you to avoid, you could also post here about it and someone would be very likely to help you get situated in a more populated area.

I don't expect you should have too much trouble if you're willing to learn and get kicked around by a game world that doesn't like us very much. It's a good community.

Lunababy
01-31-2015, 07:28 PM
you're gonna have to read for about a week everything on the 99 wiki to understand how the game works. it's not difficult to understand, it's just inaccessible (that means playing the game wont teach you what you need to know).

Like, you probably don't know that bards level 40% slower than most other classes and that warriors can't hold aggro to tank without high end gear.

again; read. otherwise you're just going to die and regress your character all day and nobody will want you in a group.

whalecum to the shittiest game youve ever played!

Swish
01-31-2015, 07:34 PM
It's not much different to starting any other MMORPG, you spawn naked and have to go and kill things... it gets much more fun if you can break the first 5-6 levels.

joedirt87
01-31-2015, 07:47 PM
groups are always welcoming new players and don't be afraid to ask questions, people are generally very helpful on here. Met a player this morning who had never played on live but was really enjoying the game as a necro.

Wargrade
01-31-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am combing the wiki now, trying to decide what class/race to start with. Hopefully I will get in the game tonight and start my journey.

Beebo11
01-31-2015, 11:02 PM
you're gonna have to read for about a week everything on the 99 wiki to understand how the game works. it's not difficult to understand, it's just inaccessible (that means playing the game wont teach you what you need to know).

Like, you probably don't know that bards level 40% slower than most other classes and that warriors can't hold aggro to tank without high end gear.

again; read. otherwise you're just going to die and regress your character all day and nobody will want you in a group.

whalecum to the shittiest game youve ever played!

I died

stormlord
02-01-2015, 01:17 AM
At least Lunababy is honest. This way, when the player finds something bad it's not a big surprise. And for those who don't want to waste time, it'll save them the frustration.

I'll some more thigns:
1) Quests are inaccessible... like Lunbababy said. Use the wiki, ask around, talk to NPCs.
2) Most of your experience comes from grinding "monsters" alone or in groups, not from Quests
3) No in-game map or in-game radar (there used to be maps for towns)
4) Some dungeons are very twisting/turning, so it's easy to get lost until you learn them
5) Death experience loss which gets more time consuming as you gain levels
6) When you die your items get transferred to your corpse and you respawn at a bind point - so you have to travel naked back to your corpse to recover the items. This is usually not bad if you're a class which can invis or sneak, but otherwise it can be hard sometimes
7) Inventory weight and corresponding encumbrance concerns
8) Monsters can aggro and crowd together in massive numbers and they will not rubberband back to their spawnpoint unless you die or zone out or they're mezzed/blurred
9) When you select a creature, it doesn't light up like in most other games
10) You have to rest between big fights - there's no ooc regen
11) You can't solo effectively unless you play a solo-able class
12) Spells are spread across the world, so you'll have to hunt around for them
13) Not a lot of fast travel - not bad early on if you stay at noob areas
14) Getting good items by killing things on your own is almost impossible - the game is designed so you buy it from higher level players or get it in very strong groups or in raids.

gcobb
02-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Welcome, sir. Type /tell aporia to send a tell to me in-game if you'd like to ask a question or need help with anything in delecto. Cheers.

sox7d
02-01-2015, 02:01 AM
The first 3-4 levels are god awful as if the developers didn't want people to play this game, but it's the best MMORPG of all time regardless. I'd give anything to experience this game for the first time again...

Wargrade
02-01-2015, 04:06 AM
I started my Dwarf Cleric tonight. Name is Dofbar.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I am finding this game to be really confusing, but I like it. Currently killing things in Greater Faydark near Kelethin, Kumadar was nice enough to bind me there. Died once making the run from Kaladim, but made it the second time with no problem.

Managed to buy some bags, and I am currently saving up bone chips and spiderling silk to sell eventually. The wiki newbie guide has been very helpful, as well as the advice in this thread.

Almost level 5 as I type this, looking forward to trying out grouping soon. Hoping to meet some of you ingame eventually!

wasp23
02-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Welcome to the server bra!!

webrunner5
02-01-2015, 07:26 AM
Welcome aboard. For the first character I would recommend a Mage. They have a very powerful pet and really need NO gear other than a training Robe which cost peanuts in the spells area to look good in.

They are not a evil race, so you can go almost everywhere without being killed, they get Gate and Bind affinity spells which are a God send, and VERY easy to play. The pet does most of the work for you. So it is a layed back class. You will die a lot but so do most of us that know the game well. :D P1999 is Hard Mode, and that is what makes it so appealing.

Try to join a Guild quickly and ask questions on it. They will help you out very much.

Tazadar66
02-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Welcome !! :)

ko37qtl
02-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I started my Dwarf Cleric tonight. Name is Dofbar.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I am finding this game to be really confusing, but I like it. Currently killing things in Greater Faydark near Kelethin, Kumadar was nice enough to bind me there. Died once making the run from Kaladim, but made it the second time with no problem.

Managed to buy some bags, and I am currently saving up bone chips and spiderling silk to sell eventually. The wiki newbie guide has been very helpful, as well as the advice in this thread.

Almost level 5 as I type this, looking forward to trying out grouping soon. Hoping to meet some of you ingame eventually!

Sounds like it's going pretty well. I hope you enjoy a cleric. I'd suggest trying different group or solo approaches to find what suits you. Clerics, even bad ones, can often be carried along on the rising tide of groups they attract. That doesn't necessarily make for fun play. For me, a fun cleric means having some crowd control with roots and stuns (possibly lulls), even if it's just helping out the enchanter. I get bored when stuck in the buff/heal only cycle. Keep an eye out for how you can add value and buff your enchanters as you would a tank.

Wargrade
02-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Just hit 6, and managed to get enough money to grab all my level 1 and 5 spells. Experimenting with them now. Hoping to find a group for something this evening and make some friends.

Try to join a Guild quickly and ask questions on it. They will help you out very much.

I will try and find one ASAP.

Byrjun
02-01-2015, 09:47 PM
It's not much different to starting any other MMORPG, you spawn naked and have to go and kill things... it gets much more fun if you can break the first 5-6 levels.

The difference between EQ and other MMOs is that in EQ by level 20 you're still naked.

Wargrade
02-02-2015, 04:34 AM
Hit 9 tonight. Finally got meditate, what a huge difference.

polishanarchy
02-02-2015, 05:44 AM
Wargrade is on the warpath ... there's no stopping him now!

Wargrade
02-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Wargrade is on the warpath ... there's no stopping him now!

10! Crushbone is fun, lots of odd spam tells though when I'm in there.

username17
02-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Someone (Veemo) on Red (PvP server) started playing the game for the first time ever and filmed the hilarity that enused. Be sure to watch his videos so you can learn from his mistakes (there are a lot).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFe9xNP1Cgs

webrunner5
02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Hell, the OP will be level 60 in 2 weeks the way it is going! :eek:

Malone88
02-02-2015, 05:50 PM
10! Crushbone is fun, lots of odd spam tells though when I'm in there.
Collect Crushbone Belts and Legionnaire Pads and sell to players for good plat.

Wargrade
02-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Hit 12, slowed down a bit to try a few of the other classes. Made a troll shaman named Jargo if anyone is in the swamp here and wants to team up let me know.

I wanted to get a feel for the other classes before I fully commit to one.

Poosammich
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the server! The single most important advice I could give would be to stick it out, and pick what you like. This game is VERY unforgiving, and even those of us that have played for YEARS are still reminded and/or surprised on occasion. I had an "incident" about 2 weeks ago, and I had to log out for a full week to get my anger in order. It really is fun though!!

Zodiacrat0222
02-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Another bit of advice:

When you feel like traveling around for grouping or just a change of scenery, and don't want to wait up to 40 minutes for a boat to arrive + travel time; then remember to type this:

/who all dial

This will search the entire sever for members of the guild "Dial a Port". Druids and Wizards solely dedicated to porting people around for money; much like a taxi service.
The general policy is that there are no "set" prices and payment is based on what you can afford for your appropriate level.
Now I can't police every member to see if they all hold up to this standard, but I know that is the guild policy.

Hope that helps and welcome to P1999.

ko37qtl
02-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Hit 12, slowed down a bit to try a few of the other classes. Made a troll shaman named Jargo if anyone is in the swamp here and wants to team up let me know.

I wanted to get a feel for the other classes before I fully commit to one.

Congratulations on 12! I know the feeling of wanting to look around. Maybe when I get all of my characters to 60, I'll know which one I like best. In the meantime, I really like seeing how it all fits together. Playing other all the classes helps me group better with them.

Wargrade
02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Is there a reliable way to transfer items between characters?

Rayge
02-07-2015, 03:54 PM

know someone irl that you can punch if they scam you. :P Joining a decent guild is another option, if a guildy scammed another guildy you can bet they'd get the boot.

ko37qtl
02-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Best to find someone you can trust, although dropping in an out of the way place, logging out and logging back to pick up works pretty well for things you're not so worried about.