PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 OA Media

Rogean
09-23-2010, 10:23 AM
So we have a ton of computers that come through here (where I work) that have Windows 7 Pro "OA" Keycodes on the side of them, but most of them come preinstalled with XP.

I took one of these keycodes and installed Windows 7 Pro on a pc using media that we get from our volume license login with Microsoft, and it didn't accept it for activation. I had to call in to Microsoft to get it activated.

Can anyone confirm that theres a difference between Windows 7 "OA" Keys and the Business media? Is there a seperate media for OEM That would work with it? If so... Someone send it to me (WHO SAID THAT?!).

azeth
09-23-2010, 10:45 AM
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7install/thread/79c56b7c-702b-429b-8282-e594d0427c22 seems relevant.

Rogean
09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Some people say it can be activated once, some say it can never be activated. /boggle.

These keycodes were never activated since the machines came with XP, unless the manufacturer keycodes are already set as having been activated.

DevonG
09-23-2010, 12:08 PM
What brand are they?
In my experience, manufacturer OEM copies of windows are often built to recognize only OEM serials. I bet, however, that since those machines were sold downgraded to xp, you could get the set of OEM discs for windows 7 by calling the manufacturer and saying that you have a key for 7 on the side of the machine but it's not installed on it. Did it all the time with lenovo and HP, but I'm not sure if 7 is being dealt with differently in any way.

Rogean
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
They are HP, and I'd rather avoid using the HP CD as those are loaded with all their crap. Fresh installs of 7 only~.

There has to be a media that supports those keys. I see that newegg sells a system builders OEM type media and key, I wonder if that media would work with these keys.

ShadowWulf
09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Rip the restore disks and remove the bloat ware installs and scripts.

DevonG
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Easier Solution.

HP recovery media is AMAZING.
2 discs - Operating system recovery DVD, Drivers and Software DVD.
The bloatware is always on the second disc. They make a generic first OS dvd so that they don't have to adjust the drivers or anything from model to model, so essentially the OS disc installs, then you end up with a basic windows install, but with 7 it shouldn't even have an issue with drivers (should auto-recognize most hardware).
The other advantage is that since this disc was designed to be used on most configurations of HP notebook/desktop, you shouldn't have any issue with an OEM brand check of any kind, so even if the donor system isn't an HP, you won't have a problem installing it.

Call them, tell them it was their mistake, and that the system was supposed to come with 7, they'll send you the disc.

Dagwulf
09-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Windows OEM disc must be used with Windows OEM key code.
Windows Open License (OLP) disc must be used with Windows OLP key.
Windows Retail (FPP) disc must be used with Windows FPP key.

If you own an OEM License for those machines (which you do since they have the OEM Certificate of Authenticity or COA) then you are licensed for the Windows 7 Pro and you may use both your Open License (OLP) media and your MAK key which came with the Open License to activate those installations.

All that matters is that you have a valid license for each installation; the media you choose to use doesn't matter, but the key code must match the installation media type (OEM, OLP or FPP).

DevonG
09-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Thing is, recovery media would be matched to the keys he has on these machines already, right? Regardless of whether these machines come with OEM, OA, or OLP, if he requests the media from the same company that produced the machines with those keys matched to them, then he gets the right OS version no matter what.

No need to figure out what the OA stands for, or whether that means you should be looking for OEM or OLP, just order those discs. My company sold HP elitebooks and the big server looking desktops to a crap-ton of companies in T.O. here, and I know they're separate dvd's. Companies were constantly going back and forth with which they wanted, so I was probably wiping/restoring like 20-30 a week most times.

Dagwulf
09-25-2010, 12:56 AM
HP Media is BIOS locked... no key is required; install and go!

Rogean mentioned he does not want to use the HP media though, because of the HP utilities that come with it.

So you can either use some random (Genuine) OEM disc to install, and the OEM key code on the COA sticker may work and activate fine, or you may need to get another activation code.

Or you can use the OLP Media you used for the first installation, and also use your MAK (multiple activation key) which you should retrieve from the MS Volume License Services Website (Google eopen, first result).

OR.... just use the HP recovery media that came with the systems... honestly, the utilities HP packs in are very good and one of the reasons HP is better then a lot of the competition for Tier 1 systems (such as HP ProtectTools).

As for "OA" versus "OEM"..... If it has a Certificate of Authenticity (COA sticker) on the PC, it is OEM.

There are 3 types of license only:
1) OEM - this is a license sold pre-loaded on a new PC and is locked to that PC (not transferable). OEM is the most common and most cost effective way to buy a Windows License.
2) FPP - Retail Box (Fully Packaged Product) - this is more expensive, but comes with additional license rights, such as transferability.
3) OLP - Open License Program. For Windows Operating system license, this is an upgrade license only (so the license can only be applied to a system with an existing valid Windows OS license).

Hope that makes sense?