PDA

View Full Version : Running to Chardok as a level 4 Rogue...

ChicomLover
02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
How much of a PITA would this be? I'm new to the server and think the chance at picking up a rotting Jagged Chokidai Spine is worth the hassle...Or am I mistaken? Opinions please. :)

username17
02-02-2015, 01:29 AM
With sow, levi, and an invis that lasts allllllllllllllll the way there it MIGHT be possible. I recently ran a level 1 human monk from DL port in spot to LOIO. The invis didn't even last through the tunnel from the port area.

You're depending on Invis to last through DL -> BW -> Chardok. There are see invis in those zones too.

Master Roshi
02-02-2015, 01:52 AM
cant low lvl rogues sneak around with zero risk?

pharmakos
02-02-2015, 01:58 AM
as far as the journey there is concerned -- i could easily make it to the entrance of the sarnak fort on a level 1 toon without invis, and from there a cloudy potion gets you to the zone line.

surviving inside chardok itself without a helping hand would be considerably more difficult, though.

sox7d
02-02-2015, 02:30 AM
1.) /who all chardok

2.) /t <wizard> Hey, this is kind of embarrassing, but I just joined the server and it's been hard times with this Dagger*. If there are any Jagged Chokadai Spines rotting, would you mind passing one over my way in between pulls? I can meet you at the Gfay spires!

3.) ???

4.) Profit

ChicomLover
02-02-2015, 04:21 AM
1.) /who all chardok

2.) /t <wizard> Hey, this is kind of embarrassing, but I just joined the server and it's been hard times with this Dagger*. If there are any Jagged Chokadai Spines rotting, would you mind passing one over my way in between pulls? I can meet you at the Gfay spires!

3.) ???

4.) Profit

Lol.

This of course crossed my mind, but I am very reluctant to play the "I'm new and naked, help by giving me stuff!" card, to any degree. Though I suppose it's that or I somehow farm up 100p with said dagger*, bone chips I suspect...Anyhow, thanks for the advice!

username17
02-02-2015, 04:40 AM
1.) /who all chardok

3.) ???

4.) Profit

QFT. This is the best idea.

Stormfists
02-02-2015, 05:32 AM
Or I could just give you one along with a Dragoon Dirk for duel wield and a set of Banded?

What race?

PM me.

Mentathiel
02-02-2015, 09:28 AM
I did it without SoW or Levitate or Cloudy Potion, even taking a wood elf rogue via the 'evil' route via Oasis of Marr and The Overthere...

Stick to the walls, hide and sneak, /con anything you see to make sure they cannot see you. I walked right into the Sarnak fort and nothing could see me. Once I got inside, there was a large party murdering everything in sight, but hugging the entrance wall kept me out of range of just about everything dangerous. When the group there wiped, I also died, but I have no idea if that was being caught in AoE or something which could see hide. In the end, I was handed a spine by one of the group members who either admired my bravery, pitied my stupidity or was irritated enough that he just wanted to get rid of me.

Oddly enough, leaving was harder. Chardok has an entrance and an exit rather than just one zone line, so I had to walk across to the exit and a chokidai mangler, something which had conned indifferent at first, suddenly aggroed on me as I walked past. I was suddenly in Greater Faydark, naked and depressed. Luckily, I managed to get a drag and a rez, then a friendly wizard ported me to the GFay spires.

But yeah, hide and sneak will get you into Chardok even at level one. It's an adventure and the experience of sneaking past mobs 50 levels higher than you is worth almost as much as the spine...

Addendum:
This same recklessness will also get you into Lower Guk to pick up a Mask of Deception (http://wiki.project1999.com/Mask_of_Deception), though that zone is full of monsters which can see through the hide skill, including the Ghoul Assassin who drops the mask. If you are really lucky, you might even be able to buy a Serrated Bone Dirk (http://wiki.project1999.com/Serrated_Bone_Dirk) from whoever killed the Assassin.

ripwind
02-02-2015, 10:42 AM
I may actually have one sitting in my inventory right now. Feel free to look me up on Mely, Year, or Ripwind. I should be around after 6 PM CT tonight. Would also be willing to help you obtain a MoD when you can start using it (17?) if you decide to stick with the rogue.

ChicomLover
02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Wow guys! This community really is awesome. :) I'm a Gnome (haste tinker item in Velious ftw), and yes I plan on sticking with the Rogue. I had 52 epic DE Rogue back in the day, but I ended up losing that account, loved it while I had him though.

ChicomLover
02-02-2015, 12:05 PM
I cannot figure out how to PM you, Stormfists; I suspect it is because I'm a "decaying skeleton" and still have to have all of my posts approved by a mod, or something? Anyhow, I don't mind throwing my characters name out there, which is Murkor.

Thanks for the offer Ripwind! Getting a Mask of Deception would be awesome, since my old Rogue back in 2001 was a Dark Elf. :D

Thanks for taking the time to give me a rundown Menta, I may just try doing it anyhow even if one of these guys hooks me up, just for the fun of it. :)

Malone88
02-02-2015, 05:15 PM
Personally, I would just level up and farm items like HQ pelts, CB belts, etc.
and buy it (or it's equivalent like Serrated Bone Dirk).

svenghali
02-02-2015, 05:20 PM
just turn in newbie note, free epic

Mentathiel
02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
They are quite cheap if you can find one for sale, but sneaking into Chardok to loot your Jagged Chokidai Spine is a rite of passage for young rogues which helps them understand just how useful hide/sneak can be, ready for the days when they will be relying on it.

Inorcist
02-03-2015, 04:33 AM
don't know about chardok, but i'm pretty sure its doable if you have some patience.
i did the halas-lguk run at lvl 3 to camp me my de mask (on another char). first i tried it with a run to nk and then getting a druid port to sro and the usual druid buffs. felt too safe with all these uber buffs and ended up dead in lguk as i somehow got aggro.
i then figured i can't always bother these poor porters and it might be more fun to try it yourself anyhow. so i did the run w/o ports or buffs. went through sk and lake rathe. used hide and sneak when needed and just ran in zones where you can easily avoid mobs (south karana or rathe mountains for example).
took me forever because sneak is so slow and hide/sneak skill is so low so you have to try over and over until you actually get both successfully.
it's quite tricky when zoning out of blackburrow as you usually get aggro there right away if hide fails. nothing some strafe running/jumping/running for your life couldn't solve though :)
sure enough i didn't make it on my first run. i figured there are just lowbie mobs in feerrott so why use hide/sneak. ran into the dark assassin (this zone is just too dark, another reason to get that de mask!) and died in 1 round.
i didn't give up though and tried the run again, this time around i was a bit more careful and didn't drop hide/sneak this time around in feerrott until i was past the river. almost died to piranhas there but fortunately they don't follow you once you leave the water... :D
made it down and got my de mask. too bad most people don't run around too much anymore and just port everywhere as these experiences are actually quite fun. if you're not the kind of person that will just ragequit after a death or two that is.

Mentathiel
02-03-2015, 05:25 AM
too bad most people don't run around too much anymore and just port everywhere as these experiences are actually quite fun. if you're not the kind of person that will just ragequit after a death or two that is.
For my sins, I think the DE mask cost me about half a level in experience penalties. Each time I died, I would grab a SoW and run back to sit outside the Ghoul Assassin's room (later, after dying to a monk's FD-pulling, a little round the corner) to wait.

Each death (and just sitting around there generally) taught me something; I learned about the dangers of binding auto-attack to Q if you use WASD to move (my finger slipped, my stealth fell, I died), I learned that monks pulling with FD can get you killed, I learned that even a lowbie rogue can earn some plat pulling other people's corpses to the zone-line, I learned that Dead Man Floating hurts my head, I learned that See Invisible puts a stealthed rogue's name in brackets, I learned that people are generally very happy to buff you for a CR, even if they only just did it not half an hour earlier.

I also learned that I should not lurk in higher-level dungeons if I am bound on another continent...

azeth
02-03-2015, 07:59 AM
How much of a PITA would this be? I'm new to the server and think the chance at picking up a rotting Jagged Chokidai Spine is worth the hassle...Or am I mistaken? Opinions please. :)

i have a jagged chok spine you can have. /tell akmenhotep

DrKvothe
02-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Asking a wizard in chardok to bring it to you at your nearest wizard spires is the easiest route. A lot less annoying for the exp group than begging their cleric for a drag and a rez.

There's always wizards in chardok. There's always downtime in chardok. Most are happy to help a friendly new player.

The DE mask in Lguk is a slightly different story. Personally, I'd just wait until you're level appropriate for Uguk groups, hunt near Lguk zoneline, and pop in and ask who is camping Ass/sup.

Mentathiel
02-03-2015, 08:05 PM
The DE mask in Lguk is a slightly different story. Personally, I'd just wait until you're level appropriate for Uguk groups, hunt near Lguk zoneline, and pop in and ask who is camping Ass/sup.
Depending on your race and whether you have been killing froggies, you might be able to walk right through Upper Guk and into Lower. Mentathiel walked unmolested through Upper and stood staring uncomfortably at a curiously-indifferent train in Lower Guk.

The mask is NODROP and rogue only, so unless someone is specifically waiting for it to drop, most groups will just let you have it when it drops. There's even a safe path from the zone-line to the Ass/Sup room (as long as you hide/sneak) and a couple of good places to sit and watch the fight once someone takes him on and the room is a common camp.

If in doubt, "/ooc CC" and see if someone is camping. If they are, ask if you can have the next mask drop. Yeah, he is on a half-hour or so timer, but impatient rogues are dead rogues, so get used to delayed gratification...

Griffball89
02-04-2015, 07:26 PM
i have a jagged chok spine you can have. /tell akmenhotep

If he already has one you mind if I send you a tell for that?

azeth
02-04-2015, 07:26 PM
If he already has one you mind if I send you a tell for that?

he actually got it from me earlier. but if i end up with another, all yours

Griffball89
02-04-2015, 07:27 PM
Sweetness!

captnamazing
02-04-2015, 07:36 PM
if you want a chance at a free mask of deception, light burlap sack, and serrated bone dirk, keep an eye out for Jiggulee. If I am online, there's decent odds I am doing this camp in lower guk and have no need for that stuff.

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Being able to run through zones without getting aggro/detected is a basic eq skill. Any class can do it. And you do not need invis. You just need to be aware of what is near you, /con everything even if invised, and move careful. If you see a mob moving toward you, you need to be aware if you can back up, or move sideways to avoid aggro range.

Kunark zones with trees are the worst offenders here. There is simply no way in 1st person to tell if there is a mob on the other side of that lame 2-d tree sprite they used. Learn to use 3rd person view to see around corners like that.

And finally one of the great truths of the eq universe, even though one still must always be cautious:

hug the wall.

ph, and edit: even if you make it to chardok area, I highly doubt you will be able to get to the actual zone in due to the guards at your level. Maybe if you had full cleric hp buffs and an enchanter rune. But at a very low level, I imagine your time will go something like this:

A Sarnak xxxxx has hit you for xxxxx!
You are stunned!
A Sarnak xxxxx has hit you for xxxxx!
You are stunned!
Loading, please wait.

To get to the actual zone in, you would need invis more at the end of your journey, not beginning.

And if you can then actually get to the spot inside Chardok you need to get to, either the zone is clear, or you are superman.

pharmakos
02-05-2015, 12:39 AM
all he needs is a single cloudy potion to get inside chardok

Mentathiel
02-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Being able to run through zones without getting aggro/detected is a basic eq skill. Any class can do it. And you do not need invis. You just need to be aware of what is near you, /con everything even if invised, and move careful. If you see a mob moving toward you, you need to be aware if you can back up, or move sideways to avoid aggro range.
Maybe for non-rogues, this 'hug the wall while you keep your toes and finger crossed' approach is good enough, but we're talking about a rogue here; there is a whole skill-set related to using the unique abilities of the class which needs to be learned.

Yes you can run along the edge of the zone, in fact many rogues will unstealth to cover open areas which they know are clear of danger, but there is something a little noobish about telling the player of a class with hide and sneak to use an unreliable spell instead of the reliable skills they picked up at level 1 and level 3. In fact, three of the rogue races (dark elf, wood elf and halfling) even get 50 points of hide as a freebie at level 1 and halflings get 50 points of hide too.

all he needs is a single cloudy potion to get inside chardok
All he will need is hide and sneak; I walked right in past every single mob in the Chardok area and straight across the zone line without a single Sarnak taking a blind bit of notice. None of them can see through Hide (See Hide is a rare skill compared to the more common See Invis) as I can confirm from having walked right in through the front door, so yes; any rogue will be able to do it.