PDA

View Full Version : Lower Level Camping

Griffball89
02-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Are people really allowed to reserve a camp that is significantly lower level then they are over level appropriate groups? ex 53 nec taking all the orcs in highhold pass because he wants scalps over a group of level 20s???

maskedmelon
02-02-2015, 04:51 PM
In short, yes. Should he? Probably not. It is not ok to camp entire zones though, but as I recall hhp only really has two camps: orcs and gnolls :/

Kreylyn
02-03-2015, 09:48 AM
If you want to "Rules Lawyer" it....

A person or group working together can only claim a single spawn point as a camp and does not have to share. If more than one spawn point is available, and others want to share spawns in the area... /tell and work out an agreement to split them. (IE: we'll take this half, you take that half).

So... you could have /tell and requested some of the mobs and worked out an agreement. If the other person/group refused, you could petition... and then the GM would come along and make a decision for you all. You have the right to do so by the rules...

General player consensus most times is more inclusive to spawn groupings being a camp and calling it should give you the right to them all, but that's not supported by the specific rules. If you choose to enforce the rules above on a person/group for a smaller "grouping" of mobs to be split... expect their to be some anger or general pizzyness....

Krey

webrunner5
02-03-2015, 10:46 AM
If you are in a group at say one end of CB and he runs in taking your Mobs then hell yes petition. But if he is taking most of the others in the zone would be hard to say he is "camp stealing" to a GM. :( Make sure you have Logs running to help prove it. Even Screenshots help.

Aztefano
02-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Its kinda like a level 40 pulling every gnoll in Blackburrow to get the fangs for a lower alt he logs in after the pull is killed. Its ok if its empty in there, but not if there are people in there trying to get xp. I have been annoyed over high levels farming orc scalps and Shralock packs in highpass many times btw...

DrKvothe
02-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Afaik, this is allowed. Unlike "zone disruption" tactics in CB and blackburrow, the gnolls in HHP all spawn at one camp iirc. You're allowed to claim any one camp regardless of your level.

Frankly, tough shit. You could just have easily found a full group there, or a twink duo killing everything and not wanting to share with you. Camps are going to be claimed by people who are not you, more often than not for the good camps at least. If you dont like this, play a game with instances or switch over to red (lower pop, can challenge people for camps if they're withing 4 lvls of you, pvp offers a distraction for players besides earning plats, etc.), because the problem is going to get much, much worse at higher levels.

Mentathiel
02-03-2015, 01:39 PM
What the game needs is trivial loot code; no xp from a mob, no high-value loot. Applied to camps like the Shralok orcs, it might free them up for level-appropriate characters. It would make some items more rare (hard for anyone to kill D'vinn before he turns green, for example) and I know people would find some way to game the system, but it would be a start.

Temporary and restricted in scope as it was, TLC was classic (Velious-era) content, so why not?

QFuzzle
02-03-2015, 05:40 PM
What the game needs is trivial loot code; no xp from a mob, no high-value loot. Applied to camps like the Shralok orcs, it might free them up for level-appropriate characters. It would make some items more rare (hard for anyone to kill D'vinn before he turns green, for example) and I know people would find some way to game the system, but it would be a start.

Temporary and restricted in scope as it was, TLC was classic (Velious-era) content, so why not?

There goes high level folks looking for the AC ring in SRo.

There's a game I used to play (and sometimes still do) that has TLC. It has it's pros and cons. In this particular game, there are some level ranges that are better than others when it comes to farming certain materials used in crafting/smithing. This ends up forcing the player to find ways to slow/pause their exp gain as much as possible to find the level range sweet spot for maximum potential at finding particular materials. As far as I know, there isn't actually a way to pause exp on this server, is there?

If indeed TLC is legitimately classic, then say something and bring out the proof. Classic is what we're aiming for, right? More to look forward to when Velious is released, right?

DrKvothe
02-03-2015, 05:46 PM
People would level or delevel alts specifically for solo camping cash camps. It's just like in red, where people will stop leveling at certain levels to prevent getting into the pvp level window of people hunting in that zone, or to ensure that they're stronger than most other chars at that level (like shm stopping at 34, for example).

The current system allows any player, regardless of whether or not he's got a fungi, CoF, and twinked epic, to handle a camp for an item he wants by simply waiting until he can handle the content solo.

Mentathiel
02-03-2015, 07:03 PM
If indeed TLC is legitimately classic, then say something and bring out the proof. Classic is what we're aiming for, right? More to look forward to when Velious is released, right?
Well; http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=235

It was only on Live for 10 months and only ever affected two zones unless you played on Firiona Vie, but it did exist. It allegedly came back a couple of times post-Luclin, but never stayed if it did.

I think low-level camping is just irritating rather than game-breaking. I have logged in my rogue at 9am GMT to go and grab the Shralok pack and found myself the only one doing it, but still don't have one because I didn't have the patience. Maybe when I visit HH to find the original owner of Never Stop Chopping, I might see if Refcek is around, but I probably would not camp him.

The issue with camping is really when an item is needed for a quest. Any magician hoping to kill Quillmane for their epic is competing against people who just want the Pegasus Feather Cloak, for example; a group which rarely includes level 30s. And a paladin who needs Ghoulbane for their epic (currently) needs to go and camp a popular (among paladins) level 30 mob. The game is specifically written so a lot of quests get completed multiple times, once for the end result and once (or more) for intermediate items.

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-04-2015, 10:38 PM
As you can tell, OP, your question has elicited several types of responses. I am guessing those defending it do it, and those who say it is bad gamesmanship have more had it done to them.

But here is a lesson of p99, and learn it well, for it will spare you much heartache:

You cannot stop a pixel hunter from hunting pixels, no more than you can stop a dog from licking its own ass.

Advice? Make friends with people who aren't crazed pixel hunters, and join a guild that is not lead by a group of crazed pixel hunters. And even though it sucks, I have found it necessary: take your friends, take your guild, and just make sure you avoid those players. Because they only understand one logic, well expressedby the BDA member on this thread: "I can take it, therefore I have a right to it."

aka, the reasoning of an animal. Jungle stylee.

Avoid the jungle. Find good eq people. Avoid those driven mad by the pixels.

Sadre
half-crazy recovering pixel hunter

Green_Moe
02-05-2015, 02:33 AM
^ +1 , perfect response.

Clark
02-05-2015, 03:47 AM

That would be pretty cool, and I'm a classic only supporter.

Too bad verant never thought of that. I guess some of our problems aren't problems that readily occurred on live though.

Celatus
02-05-2015, 07:16 AM
There are plenty of places to lvl only 1 that drops the clicky that drops there and very few to faction. Many of the higher lvl people will not only let you have the camp but pl you for clicky loot rights. So I don't really see a problem.

Griffball89
02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Well eventually this is what happened but I suspect it was more the annoyance of me tapping mobs for faction and sometimes getting agro from the fast re pops in the area. Anyway I just wish I didn't have to face the choice of waste 30-45 waiting to explore an area which never happened to me on classic Zebuxoruk or run 30 or 45 minutes to possibly get another spot