PDA

View Full Version : Name Violations

Amplitude
02-06-2015, 11:27 PM
SO recently on the Red Server the Gm's have been cracking down on the names to a level that is crazy.

BUT

They let the leader of the largest guild on the server to have the name 'Colgate' He created that name to make fun of the previous zerg leaders teeth. Also it is a trademarked company, Which is an illegal name.

Inconsistent GM's

Lisset
02-07-2015, 01:46 AM
fail.

Go to RNF with this weak crap.

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-07-2015, 02:15 AM
/tip of the hat to you sir.

"Colgate" -- or "Keal'gath" -- is actually an old Gaelic term for bravery.

Hope that is of assistance!
Sadre
80k+ approvals
moderator /penelopepitstop

Humerox
02-07-2015, 02:23 AM
habitational name from Colgate in Sussex or Colgates in Kent, which are named with Old English col ‘charcoal’ + geat ‘gate’, indicating a gate leading into woodland where charcoal was burned.

perfectly good fantasy name

Swish
02-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Foxtrotuniform Charliekilo

Probably would have got changed on red by now.

http://cdn.brownstoner.com/brownstoner/archives/rat-1108.jpg

Formshifter
02-07-2015, 11:09 AM
SO recently on the Red Server the Gm's have been cracking down on the names to a level that is crazy.

BUT

They let the leader of the largest guild on the server to have the name 'Colgate' He created that name to make fun of the previous zerg leaders teeth. Also it is a trademarked company, Which is an illegal name.

Inconsistent GM's

He makes them money

Faron
02-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Chest Rockwell, name from popular media. Jeremy Irons, ditto. Hyjal, ditto. Guild name Doljonijiarnimorinar, proper name from EQ. List goes on.

thieros
02-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Chest Rockwell, name from popular media. Jeremy Irons, ditto. Hyjal, ditto. Guild name Doljonijiarnimorinar, proper name from EQ. List goes on.

RIP Chest

Akalakamelee
02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Reguardless of whatever roots the name "colgate" may have, it is a copyright held by a major company and a brand name known worldwide. It's use as a name is clearly linked directly to the fact that is a toothpaste brand and for no other reason.

captnamazing
02-07-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm in favor of banning anyone whose name is not STRICTLY RELATED OT THEIR RACE/CLASS nature as a roleplayer. A perfect example of someone with flawless naming is "Doabarrelroll Starfox" the Dark Elf Cleric, and Ghostface Killah, the Dwarven Rogue. Wait...

BAN THIS CUR

Man0warr
02-07-2015, 03:43 PM
I think they are more worried about all the pseudo racist names.

captnamazing
02-07-2015, 03:48 PM
I think they are more worried about all the pseudo racist names.

RIP Blacknig, level 4 erudite mage i saw in WC

Akalakamelee
02-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Seems like not everyone is effected by the policy, some names which are not originally seen as a violation are being nerfed. While others that are BLATANT violations are allowed to stay. Consistency, that's what we would like on here.

Flamewraith
02-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Tunare tells you 'Go now superkillerxxx, end the darkness that gathers now in Norrath.
I get that not everyone is into roleplaying, but at least give your character a fucking name.

myriverse
02-07-2015, 04:29 PM
Tunare tells you 'Go now superkillerxxx, end the darkness that gathers now in Norrath.
I get that not everyone is into roleplaying, but at least give your character a fucking name.
Heck, the game even has a name generator feature, if you're that lazy.

Swish
02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
This is one of those things where they pull on a loose thread and everything starts coming apart. Not easily solved.

The book (with no defined/consistent rules) has been thrown at the red community... some have escaped with bad names, some were unlucky and had names which seemed fine to most people taken away. One of the hardest things to be consistent on I'd say, because it's a matter of personal opinion.

...unless we have a clear set of rules written up on what's acceptable? More rules :rolleyes:

Swish
02-07-2015, 06:59 PM
Heck, the game even has a name generator feature, if you're that lazy.

I bet if you hit it enough times you could find something in there that someone would deem offensive.

I got a temporary ban for making a "Robinwilliams" corpse (fair enough, he had just died... apparently a RL friend of his plays P99 and was offended, GMs took it seriously). Nobody batted an eyelid when everyone was doing it for Whitney Houston.

If full names aren't acceptable, give Paulgiamatti a wave :(

Danyelle
02-07-2015, 07:16 PM
:(

Akalakamelee
02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Doesn't matter the name is now trademarked by the Colgate co. so it violates naming policy and the owners forum picture made reference to Colgate the toothpaste company and went so far as to photo shop brushes into his characters hand.

Clearly the named referenced the toothpaste company not the Gaelic bs madeup reason you are in violation of petition-questing for trying to con gms with atm.

Also he is the leader of a guild which glorifies genocide, honestly how this guild has even existed past a couple weeks is shocking. Anyone who happens to be jewish should be offended.

Smedy
02-07-2015, 07:44 PM
i for one will not set foot in norrath until constantine and miley has been fixed

my favorite movie, some guy just stole it, as you can see it's from 2005, this server opened 2011.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTE5NDk5NTUyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzUyMDA3._V1_S X214_AL_.jpg

miley cyrus is a very respectable artist and great talent, i don't think she would appreciate someone running around with her name in the lands of norrath tagged holocaust

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/9rHkNpZCrXs/0.jpg

thanks for your consideration, may your immersion levels stay healthy

Smedy
02-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Also he is the leader of a guild which glorifies genocide, honestly how this guild has even existed past a couple weeks is shocking. Anyone who happens to be jewish should be offended.

topjew is proof that jews can be bought, be it pixels or money, not even the holocaust tag keeps him away even through his grandfathers escaped the oven and barely survived, he should be ashamed swinging such a tag, hell even i wouldn't do it and i'm not jewish

shalom

Danyelle
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Meh tons in EQ use copywrite names. Who really cares?

Akalakamelee
02-07-2015, 08:35 PM
The point is, you cannot selectively enforce rules for one person but not the other. Rules have already been enforced on certain people but not on others. I think most of the problem with Colgate (TM)'s name is that it is a blatant violation of rules and is being allowed to stay, when others that did not and would never have been a problem on live are being changed.
GMs are staff, and staff should enforce rules equally. Continuing to allow a copy right name is going to make the community see this as staff playing favorites.

Kimm Bare|y
02-07-2015, 08:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4ZCpcnB.jpg

Akalakamelee
02-07-2015, 08:37 PM

I lost it, i really just lost it on that one. Good show

Danyelle
02-07-2015, 08:39 PM

Bardalicious
02-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Zero consistency is the only consistency.

Rekrul
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM
Meh tons in EQ use copywrite names. Who really cares?

basically no one cared about that or anyone of the "illegal" names. its just that now someone people are randomly getting named changed while other obvious offenders aren't.

Bardalicious
02-07-2015, 09:29 PM
None of the adults that play here give an actual shit about what someone names their simulated elf. It's just been too long since the GM's reminded us they don't give a shit about us and that they will do whatever they want regardless of popularity amongst the community.

laowllol
02-08-2015, 01:58 AM
I hope they changed the name of player Erollisi Marr.

magician
02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
lol they changed my cleric whom i dont play "Drdingle" to "Arby"

what a fucking joke

iiNGloriouS
02-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Can I get a sammich Burt?

Absenthe
02-08-2015, 02:06 PM
None of the adults that play here give an actual shit about what someone names their simulated elf. It's just been too long since the GM's reminded us they don't give a shit about us and that they will do whatever they want regardless of popularity amongst the community.

seems to be true. hell, doesn't even seem like the GMs care about the name violations or there would at least be consistency.
not that i think colgate's name should be nerfed, i actually think it's very mature that people are trying so hard to get his name nerfed just because they don't like him.

Akalakamelee
02-08-2015, 02:11 PM
seems to be true. hell, doesn't even seem like the GMs care about the name violations or there would at least be consistency.
not that i think colgate's name should be nerfed, i actually think it's very mature that people are trying so hard to get his name nerfed just because they don't like him.

The community is seeing totally inconsistent rule enforcement, this is why people are trying. I don't like him, but I don't care about the name. Only that it seems like favorites are being played.

heals4reals
02-08-2015, 02:28 PM
lol they changed my cleric whom i dont play "Drdingle" to "Arby"

what a fucking joke

Can I get a sammich Burt?

rl attacks and name violation

Crackin up

Yumyums Inmahtumtums
02-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Hope Yumyums survived the cut