PDA

View Full Version : Halls of Testing

Daldaen
02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
I spoke with Alunova last night about a few of these issues, however for record keeping I felt it important to add these to P99's boards.

1. Doors do not prevent assist aggro from mobs when closed. In classic EQ, keeping doors closed was important to prevent mobs from aggroing through the doors either by proximity or assist. An Exerpt from EQClerics:

August 2001 Post (http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showpost.php?p=40728&postcount=3)

I see lots of people trying to fight at the doorway. I don't advise this. If the door opens for any reason, which includes +COV idiots wandering around TOV and just 'seeing' if anyone is in the HOT, or even in the midst of battle, someone clicking in the wrong place on their screen, the door will open, and Zemm (a +COV mob) and an assortment of 3-5 of his buddies will enter and kill you all in a blink.

July 2001 Post (http://www.eqclerics.org/forums/showpost.php?p=98175&postcount=4)

Hmm, I've dragged my own corpse just fine past Zemm plenty of times. The irritating thing is if you fight the KoS mobs in that room after Zemm too close to the door, the +CoV mobs will help the KoS mobs and wipe you out. *sigh* Zemm will kill you if you drag somebody elses corpse, even an ally, but I've never seen him kill anybody for dragging there own corpse.

There is some debate here as to whether the doors help but most signs point to the reason people got aggro was the doors were temporarily opened.

2. The red above brings me to issue #2. Zemm is currently positions inside the door at the banner to Halls of Testing. Alunova mentions he exists there in the original Fires of Heaven screenshots. However it's clear that at some point in Velious he was moved out. I am still working on ironing down a date for this. Currently he is mentioned as being outside the door at July 2001.

Ele
02-18-2015, 11:53 AM
In classic EQ, keeping doors closed was important to prevent mobs from aggroing through the doors either by proximity or assist.

Most definitely. I was in a mostly dragon faction guild, but we had enough kos CoV people that we would just coth everyone to HoT instead of letting the non-kos people open the door. This was mid/late Velious, early Luclin.

Raev
02-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Doors do not prevent assist aggro from mobs when closed. In classic EQ, keeping doors closed was important to prevent mobs from aggroing through the doors either by proximity or assist.

There is a typo here somewhere.

Daldaen
02-18-2015, 01:15 PM
On P99 closed Doors don't prevent mobs from aggroing through them. In classic, doors prevented mobs from aggroing when closed.

Is that a bit more clear?

I mention assist and proximity because both are relevant. If there's a mob behind the door you should be able to sit in front of the door or tank a mob in front of that door without getting aggro. However if someone clicks the door and opens it, that mob should aggro.

However. When I spoke with Alunova, he mentioned this may be something that cannot be fixed by the devs. So we may have to learn to cope with this new EToV.

Jaxon
02-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Doors(in their current state on P99 Velious Beta) do not prevent assist aggro from mobs when closed.

Haynar
02-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Yes. I need to tackle doors again. I need to add dynamic objects in the los code. Tie them to doors. Thats it pretty much. Previous estimates are abt 20 hrs to code.

I almost have npc/pc collisions working for bolts. Doors are next.

H

Ele
02-18-2015, 01:25 PM
Yes. I need to tackle doors again. I need to add dynamic objects in the los code. Tie them to doors. Thats it pretty much. Previous estimates are abt 20 hrs to code.

H

Pras HPH (and all the devs) for all your hard work and contributions!

Daldaen
02-18-2015, 01:32 PM
Praise HPH (and all the devs) for all your hard work and contributions!

This.

Raev
02-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Ah OK. That makes sense. ALSO IB I WILL ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY WHENEVER:

[Tue Dec 02 17:49:05 2014] Byrjun tells you, 'was taht you?'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:07 2014] You shout, 'sorry!'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:15 2014] You shout, 'it didn't use to work that way'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:18 2014] Kegluas tells you, 'thanks for that'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:31 2014] Fountree shouts, 'a team ban inc'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:34 2014] You told Kegluas, 'they used to aggro through the door'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:45 2014] Kegluas tells you, 'well they dont anymore'
[Tue Dec 02 17:49:51 2014] Kegluas tells you, 'so when u open it you train us'

Daldaen
02-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Bump. Let's get a Zemm timeline.

Allakhazam Wayback (https://web.archive.org/web/20010602040157/http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?zone=116)

Inside ToV By: Anonymous
Posted @ Wed, Feb 21st 8:45 AM Score: Default[2.00]
Ok I have been on a guild raid or two inside temple of veeshan and I must say I thought it was very cool. The colours are great and the mobs are all even yellow and red at lvl 60. I con warmly to everythingin the front two or three rooms but was looking for for the testing halls of veeshan...Well we found them and let me just say it was a mess :) guarding the entrance is Zemm quads for 550+ and has a bad AE. happily I stat he con warmly to me as well but behind him is a room with two dragons side by side. These are the guards of testing halls and the are hard as hell...not too many HP's but they have a 1000 PBAoF cold based spell that tends to kill ppl by the hand full if you get both at the same time. Anyways, this zone is hella fun and I am going back this weekend :)have fun tryign to break this place.

February 2001 - Sounds like he should be at the banner

June 2001 - He should be in front of the door to Halls of Testing.

Working on filling in the gap. If anyone has other stuff post it up. Not a big deal but it sort of does determine how breaking into HoT goes especially until the doors block assist.

Kender
03-19-2015, 04:44 PM
it didnt even matter if you had all people on dragon facton. if the door was opened while you were fighting in HoT near the door, you would pull agro from the drakes outside. My guild was all dragon faction and we still got wiped when people forgot protocol and opened the door mid fight

it was standard practice on my server on live to /ooc safe to open door?
and you didnt open it till given the all clear

Daldaen
07-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Bumping from the depths.

We had mobs aggro through doors again. Is there anything possible that could be done to make the door objects themselves block LoS aggro and swing with the door as it opens, to allow for LoS aggro?

I will get extremely immersed if we wipe because someone misclicks a door in HoT or some random CoV friendly person is walking around opening doors.

This should be the case for all doors in ToV. Nothing should aggro through them.

Samoht
07-17-2015, 09:45 AM
The griefing potential here is huge :(

We're going to need to do something more than just fixing door LOS

Daldaen
07-17-2015, 09:51 AM
I'd prefer to have the underlying issue fixed and then consider how we will handle the grieving thing as a player base. It's limited mainly to creeping around Iktaiar/Eashen area and HoTesting break in / crawling mainly. I don't see too much griefing happening in these areas though, mostly just mistakes leading to wipes

Pint
07-17-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't see too much griefing happening in these areas though, mostly just mistakes leading to wipes

Is that the fundamental basis for intentional griefing on p99?

Daldaen
07-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Uh, no. I was just saying the more likely scenario is random applicant A clicks on a door and aggro mobs behind the door because he didn't know better.

That sort of scenario would happen far more than an evil dragon allied person opening doors to cause aggro on others - which if it became common enough I'm sure the GMs would do something about.

Treats
07-18-2015, 05:04 AM
ITK would aggro through the door sometimes when running a CoV aligned player for CoH to North.

No idea what caused it though - sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't.

Moosetoe
08-01-2015, 02:54 AM

H

Did this ever get implemented?