PDA

View Full Version : RMT vs transferring money to other characters

kebas239
03-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm leveling up my enchanters jewel crafting and as we all know, it can be a bit expensive. I had some money on another one of my toons that I asked a friend to transfer to the enchanter. He declined saying that he was nervous he would get flagged for RMT and potentially banned.

I guess my question is...will doing things like this that are not against the rules (at least not that I know of!) result in a ban? Is there a way for the server admins to tell if the trade was legit (IE - The money ended up going to the same account in the end) or do they just see a money only trade between toons and you get banned without any investigation?

Any input appreciated :)

Thanks!

Bboboo
03-17-2015, 11:39 PM
If you don't RMT, you won't be banned.

fuark
03-18-2015, 12:03 AM
If you don't RMT, you won't be banned.

A lot of people who spent time getting their accounts unbanned in the last wave would probably disagree with you.

As for OP, I don't think anyone can answer your question. I've wondered the same thing when transferring between characters, but I'd suggest just not worrying about it. If it happens, you'll just have to petition it and (hopefully) you keep your logs on.

The good thing is, the GMs on this server are extremely fair, and Sirken is a boss.

Herpa Derp
03-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Unless you RMT'd, no. Everyone's paranoid that if they hold any sum of money they'll get banned though because of how RMTers have been operating. I got ignored for about two hours in EC the other day just trying to transfer 325p for a jboots MQ just to give you an idea. That was from an anonymous ec trader though.

Edit: For everyone out there, all I can suggest is any time you are about to transfer plat for anyone, even friends, just /log any and all of the conversation if you plan on doing it. Just a precaution, you never know.

Clark
03-18-2015, 12:11 AM
I got ignored for about two hours in EC the other day just trying to transfer 325p for a jboots MQ just to give you an idea.

I've been playing here since 2009, and never had an issue finding help with an xfer in EC. Can't say I understand what you're trying to say bro.

Bboboo
03-18-2015, 01:09 AM
A lot of people who spent time getting their accounts unbanned in the last wave would probably disagree with you.

Are they still banned?

myriverse
03-18-2015, 07:03 AM
I've seen people petition in game to document cross server (Blue to Red, Red to Blue) trades. That is better recorded in the Petition section of the forum.

Petition your first trade in the Petition / Exploit section. I will move it to resolved. You will continue to update that single thread with additional trades you would like documented.

If you get caught in a ban net resulting from one of the trades, you have easy access to link the trade information to us.

You can do this with any trade you think may look suspicious to us at some point in time.

Itap
03-18-2015, 09:25 AM
I've done dozens of plat transfers to guildmates and friends and have never had a problem. If you need a transfer, find me in game. I ain't scared

maskedmelon
03-18-2015, 09:34 AM
I've done too many transfers to count and have had help with just as many transfers. Rogean sums it up pretty clearly. If you RMT you will be caught. If you don't, you may still get banned, but through simple investigation will be exhonorated. I wouldn't worry about it with transfers. Selling PLVL is a bit more risky since it is difficult to verify w/o logs and even then can be difficult.

Orruar
03-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I sold PL for a long time and gave away probably hundreds of thousands of plat to random friends and never received a ban. You're probably safe in transferring the small amount you need to JC.

Rezek
03-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I have been having the same problem as the OP. Yesterday in EC I asked a good 8 or 9 people of they could transfer a small amount of plat and everyone said no way they don't want to get banned... its just a bummer that everyone is on pins and needles.

Replikant
03-18-2015, 10:34 AM
The P1999 team should change their warning. It should be "if you RMT you may be banned. If someone you know RMTs and uses you in the process you may be banned. If you have been very careful, but still do something we think may be RMT, you may be banned."

tristantio
03-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Buy gems (peridots, or rubies if you're a baller), fill up a bag and drop transfer to yourself if you're worried.

Orruar
03-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Buy gems (peridots, or rubies if you're a baller), fill up a bag and drop transfer to yourself if you're worried.

Reported for RMT.

HowlingMad
03-18-2015, 01:35 PM
I sold PL for a long time and gave away probably hundreds of thousands of plat to random friends and never received a ban. You're probably safe in transferring the small amount you need to JC.

Where do I get on this list? :D

tristantio
03-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Reported for RMT.

lol? :confused: Why would an RMT player drop transfer gems from a main to an alt on same account?

daebak
03-18-2015, 05:47 PM

Do NOT do this.

I did this ... probably a year and a half or two years ago (the cause of my first time quitting the game) and lost everything in 3 bags because the server decided to crash. It was probably 40k worth of gear. While that's laughable to some of the people here, that was the product of over a year of playing.

Do NOT drop trade. Find someone you trust and use them.

Landylil
03-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Are they still banned?

Was about 4 weeks to be unbanned for my friends situation, though as of yesterday he's been freed =) They suggested making a petition in the forums stating that you're doing trades that might seem suspicious, but explain the scenario. One of the gm's will set it to resolved, and allow you to update the thread with future trades. I'd assume this is intended for like, transferring a Fungi to a friend or alt, transferring thousands of pp, etc. Also having logging turned on is advised so if you are ever banned you can help expedite the process, we didn't know about that which extended the ban duration.

Wrench
03-18-2015, 07:23 PM
I've been playing here since 2009, and never had an issue finding help with an xfer in EC. Can't say I understand what you're trying to say bro.

sirken basically said on his podcast that people shouldnt transfer unless its someone you know because you could be aiding rmt plat laundering

not saying i agree with his statement, but he did put it out implying they might get popped for rmt if they do

Herpa Derp
03-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Maybe it was just bad timing then I guess? I probably asked probably 15 different people that had been moving around recently (trying to avoid people who were sitting afk) and I didn't get a response from anyone, not even a no. I asked in OOC and didn't get anyone to offer for like 5 min after that. Maybe I'm the minority sample in this instance but I've had it happen on a few chars only within the last few weeks.

RMT'ers have been using random people to transfer RMT plat lately which has been leading to a lot of innocent people catching bans, that's where some of it may be coming from. I mean Sirken specifically said on his stream that if someone asks you to hold plat for them and you don't know them to just tell them no or ignore them, period. Again this is also a very recent thing as far as I've noticed, so citing when you made your account is kind of a moot point.

Even if it's a small amount of people ignoring pleas of help for transferring money when before they would normally help, it's still a change whether or not everyone notices.

jarshale
03-18-2015, 09:15 PM
It's best to assume everyone you meet is either trying to scam you or is involved in some RMT scheme.

tristantio
03-19-2015, 03:22 PM
I think the real solution to RMT is to provide the names of these people (buyers and sellers) doing RMT to the IRS - I'd guess its pretty unlikely they are paying taxes on their purchases/sales and the IRS can put the hurt down a lot more than p99 staff can.

girth
03-19-2015, 05:52 PM
If a GM on the server tells you that you shouldn't be transferring, then maybe they should fucking enable the shared bank. What a load of horse shit. That's how they want us to play, then we get in trouble for it and they advise against doing WHAT THEY INTENDED FOR US TO DO.

I was banned days after the RMT wave for nothing. I got unbanned but they made me feel like I did something shady and never apologized... it took like 4-5 days and ruined a whole weekend of playtime.

It left me with a very very sour feeling towards staff on here and I refuse to help people out now with transferring because of my experience. I hope they realize that they are ruining the experience with shit like this. It creates isolation situations where people don't want to open up and be social.

Ele
03-19-2015, 05:55 PM
If a GM on the server tells you that you shouldn't be transferring, then maybe they should fucking enable the shared bank. What a load of horse shit. That's how they want us to play, then we get in trouble for it and they advise against doing WHAT THEY INTENDED FOR US TO DO.

I was banned days after the RMT wave for nothing. I got unbanned but they made me feel like I did something shady and never apologized... it took like 4-5 days and ruined a whole weekend of playtime.

It left me with a very very sour feeling towards staff on here.

naw

Ambrouis
03-19-2015, 07:20 PM

It left me with a very very sour feeling towards staff on here and I refuse to help people out now with transferring because of my experience. I hope they realize that they are ruining the experience with shit like this. It creates isolation situations where people don't want to open up and be social.

pretty well said! I got banned about 2 and a half years ago, for RMT, I was guilty. I started up again a year and a half ago or so; had an account banned because it "looked" like RMT even though the trades were strictly between family; however, still waiting on a response to the investigation in the petition forum since october or so?

Daldaen
03-19-2015, 08:50 PM

Well... Lets be honest here.

SOO many people on here have 1 character per account and shared bank won't help, so you will need to transfer anyways. Even those who have 8 characters on 1 account

topgun1027
03-19-2015, 11:52 PM

As for OP, I don't think anyone can answer your question. I've wondered the same thing when transferring between characters, but I'd suggest just not worrying about it. If it happens, you'll just have to petition it and (hopefully) you keep your logs on.

The good thing is, the GMs on this server are extremely fair, and Sirken is a boss.

uhhhhhhehhhhhehuhhhhhhhh

Veleria
03-20-2015, 03:06 AM
A lot of this could be solved by allowing 2 boxing within limits. Limiting it to non combat within city zones for example. It would be easy for a gm to see the trades all occurred on a shared ISP.

maskedmelon
03-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I don't lim the idea of share bank or boxing for transfers. It destroys community. I think the GMs should award some kinda "oops sorry" benefit to players who are wrongly banned to take a bit of the bite out of it. Personally, it wouldn't bother me as long as th ban was lifted, but might make others less averse to helping with transfers . Probably not though, irrational fears > all :/

Clever
03-20-2015, 10:02 AM
That's how they want us to play, then we get in trouble for it and they advise against doing WHAT THEY INTENDED FOR US TO DO.

I also had a toon banned in the recent wave over a completely legitimate transaction, had to prove my innocence, and also never received an apology. While I appreciated some people who knew me going to bat for me, I still have lost virtually all of my desire to play here, have a hard time recommending people help one another anymore, and believe that policies that encourage such isolation are ultimately detrimental to the server.

Kayd
03-20-2015, 05:19 PM
Hmm, people come here because it's as close to the classic EQ experience as you'll get

RMT frowned upon in classic EQ
Twinking allowed in classic EQ (Brad even said he didn't know if he wanted to stop it)
Shared banks, not in classic EQ