PDA

View Full Version : Firepot

hateshadow
10-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I notice that here and there on the forums, people make mention of such things as "Firepots". From what I understood, these would be a teleporter of some sort?

I'd like to know more about that (or those) Firepot(s).

What are they?
Where are they?
What do they look like? (Screenshot would be much interesting)
Why is it called firepot?

I looked but no one ever makes any precise comments about those, so it's hard to actually find one, even tho i've looked.

Thank you

Uthgaard
10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.necrognomicon.com/firepots.html

quellren
10-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Early in Kunark, there was a small room in Timourous deep that had a firepot (an actual pot, with fire coming out the top) like a brazier. Each pot had a city's name on it, clikcing that pot would take you to that city. It was a precursor to PoK books. For a short time, a player could bind themselves in that room and have the ability to essentialy port all over the world.
Wizards and druids (somewhat justifiably so) raised hell and it was made so that binds could not be performed in that room.

hateshadow
10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh wow. I had no idea this even existed!

Nedala
10-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Were they removed some time? I never knew those exist in live...lol

Rogean
10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
We'll probably make it bindable for the first week or so of kunark.

DekThai
10-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Same here, new to me!

lyyfeleech
10-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Thank you for this mighty one!!

quellren
10-02-2010, 06:10 PM

I'm sure I'm the minority, but I think this is another good opportunity to learn from mistakes made the first time around. I do not think anyone should ever be allowed to bind there. I'm not sure they should even exist, but clearly thats not going to happen.

Orov
10-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Interesting. I like all the easter eggs the original devs put in. I never knew about this nor heard it mentioned until now. Awesomesauce. I do say don't let people bind there ever. Its just asking for exploitation. At any rate, its such a pain in the ass to get to I'm not sure I'll go for it this time around either.

Either let people bind there permanently, or don't let them at all. Don't let them for a pre-determined amount of time then take it away. Either do it or don't.

corradojeff
10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm sure I'm the minority, but I think this is another good opportunity to learn from mistakes made the first time around. I do not think anyone should ever be allowed to bind there. I'm not sure they should even exist, but clearly thats not going to happen.

I agree with this. The reason I agree with this is because in classic no one knew that this was going to be taken away so 100% of the non-porting population didnt bind there.

Now we know it is gonig to be taken away so everyone is going to bind there.

Unless when you take away the ability to bind there that you also reset the bind points of the people currently bound there.

Rejuvenation
10-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I was attacked by Faydedar there once. Didn't he path near the pots? Or did someone likely just train him there to get away?

Its not without its potential dangers.

Uthgaard
10-03-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure they should even exist

They were there from the launch of Kunark, and are still there. I used them yesterday.

And yes, Faydedar chills right above them, waiting to deathloop you.

Kender
10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
the dragon that spawns there is a triggered event. he's never up for very long as the trigger is for some dragon hunter dude to travel to the pots and kill the dragon.

it's a separate faydedar to the druid epic quest dragon of the same name

quellren
10-03-2010, 07:20 PM
They were there from the launch of Kunark, and are still there. I used them yesterday.

Poor, choice of words. Concisely, I maybe wish they didn't exist.
I thought they really took alot of the mystique and romance out of EQ when everyone was bound there:

"Wassat you say? Nagafen just popped?"
Damn, I'm in Dreadlands. Ahh no worries.
You begin to cast Gate
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
You have entered the Timorous Deep.
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
You have entered Neriak.
Hai guyz! BRT! LOLOLOLOLOL

Fuck firepots. They were the precursors to PoK books that were the deathknell of EQ.

kinztz
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
I agree with this. The reason I agree with this is because in classic no one knew that this was going to be taken away so 100% of the non-porting population didnt bind there.

Now we know it is gonig to be taken away so everyone is going to bind there.

Unless when you take away the ability to bind there that you also reset the bind points of the people currently bound there.

Same thing can be said about manastones, guise, etc etc etc. It doesn't matter to me one way or another however if binding is available of course its not something to pass up.

Tork
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
http://www.necrognomicon.com/firepots.html

And this is one of the reasons I love EQ - the community it spawned and their creativity, humor and (relative) intelligence contributed greatly to my enjoyment.

Uthgaard
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM
the dragon that spawns there is a triggered event. he's never up for very long as the trigger is for some dragon hunter dude to travel to the pots and kill the dragon.

it's a separate faydedar to the druid epic quest dragon of the same name

http://eqbeastiary.allakhazam.com/search.shtml?id=4470

krforrester
10-04-2010, 10:08 AM
I loved the fire pots and bound there for a long time. That stupid druid dragon caught me in a death-bind loop on a few occasions.

Nazran
10-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I had a couple of toons bound there through velious and never once encountered the dragon... however I never did anything like go afk and take a crap while I was there. Gate in, run as fast as i could and click the firepot.

Raavak
10-04-2010, 10:54 AM
The regular Faydedar spawned and despawned I think. It was some time after Kunark came out before chars/guilds were strong enough to farm him, so binding there has its drawbacks esp early on.

But binding there also removes the benefit of binding at Seb or Karnors, whatever. I think people might bind there at first but then after a while maybe see its not such a great advantage. Like in the above example, what good is a lvl 60 Kunark char on Naggy if there is a limit added. Travelling in the old world won't be that needed.

Mmohunter
10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Can anyone confirm if you were able to bind people to City of Mist? I think I recall being bound here as a Warrior back in the day during Sebillis farming.

Wizerud
10-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure why binding in TD would be allowed for a week when even Sony realized the error of their ways 4 days after it went live and disabled binding there. This time around everyones gonna know from the get-go so far more people will take advantage of it now. Druids and wizards are gonna get the shaft bigtime on arguably one of the main reasons why they roll their characters.

Karnek
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Sometimes bugs should be recreated because they were just classic. Obviously allowing dupes into the game is bad, but recreating people binding in Tim Deep is not game breaking. I had 4 characters bound there on live and eventually I moved their bind points out. But this was a part of classic Kunark for sure. The GMs should create the skeleton right from the get-go that tells people binding there is a bad idea. If you end up eating some deaths due to Faydedar, well, that's your problem.

Wizerud
10-04-2010, 03:47 PM
It wasn't a bug it was an oversight at launch or an intentional design decision that they didn't realize the impact of until four days later when they changed it.

Whatever, it's not a gamebreaker and I won't stop playing, I'm just whining on behalf of wizards and dr00ds who's arguably most defining ability is going to be severely diminished at first then slightly less so as time goes on and people are forced to re-bind elsewhere.

Raavak
10-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Can anyone confirm if you were able to bind people to City of Mist? I think I recall being bound here as a Warrior back in the day during Sebillis farming.

You could bind at CoM. I did this too.

jimmygarr
10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Only the people that can gate themselves will get extensive use out of the firepots as a port device. What hybrid or melee class wants to go die just to port? Wouldnt work anyways since your gear stays with your dead body. And yeah, if people want to take a risk of getting death-looped by Faydedar then let 'em.

krforrester
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure why binding in TD would be allowed for a week when even Sony realized the error of their ways 4 days after it went live and disabled binding there. This time around everyones gonna know from the get-go so far more people will take advantage of it now. Druids and wizards are gonna get the shaft bigtime on arguably one of the main reasons why they roll their characters.

It was enabled for a significant period of time, not 4 days.

Harm
10-04-2010, 05:42 PM
It was enabled for a significant period of time, not 4 days.

This. I remember consciously thinking if I should bind my enchanter there, and decided against it. I don't think I even bought the Kunark expansion for a while, so it couldn't have been just four days.

Wizerud
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Kunark was released on 4/24. These are patch notes from 4/28: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000428.html

So unless they didn't follow through with it I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes from. I started in June 2000 so I don't honestly remember first-hand.

Ketsa
10-05-2010, 03:07 AM
How long did that restriction held ?

I remember being still bound in TD when i reactivated my account about a year ago, and believe me i did not bind there during the first week of kunark, more like an extension later, at best.

thulseh
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
They re-allowed binding after PoP launched.

ShivanAngel
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Yeah binding there does have its risks.

I honestly dont see the big deal of 7 classes can port to any city.

Also this is never fun.

GuildLeader: GET TO XXXXXXXXXX ZONE XXXXXXXX IS UP.

You begin to cast gate
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT.
Faydadar facerapes you for 146523642 damage
LOADING, PLEASE WAIT.
Faydadar facerapes you for 124513245623 damage
/q

You log back in, realize you lost about 20-30 hours of exp, and have to log on an alt to tell your guild leader why you wont be at the raid. Also who knows how long it will be before its safe to log your main back in.

mgellan
10-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Even tho I have baaaaaaad memories of that particular stretch of TD as a 25ish Shaman:

Faydedar slashes you for 250 hit points!
LOADING PLEASE WAIT...
/gu Uhm, any necro available to summon in TD?

I'd still love to bind there for a while like live :) Classic is classic, it was part of the Kunark experience, why not implement it?

Regards,
Mg

pallius
05-31-2011, 12:11 AM
It was enabled for a significant period of time, not 4 days.Correct

This. I remember consciously thinking if I should bind my enchanter there, and decided against it. I don't think I even bought the Kunark expansion for a while, so it couldn't have been just four days.Correct

I leveled 2 characters over 50 and bound them there in their 50s. It was definitely not nerfed that early. Or if they did, they unnerfed it for some extended period.

Kunark was released on 4/24. These are patch notes from 4/28: http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/20000428.html

So unless they didn't follow through with it I'm not sure where the discrepancy comes from. I started in June 2000 so I don't honestly remember first-hand.They either didnt follow through with it then or they stealth unnerfed it later.

I seem to recall they nerfed it for melee characters not being able to be binded there by other players, but casters still being able to bind themselves for quite some time. It was definitely totally nerfed before velious, but not 4 days after release.

I had my epic pet on my mage before I bound there. I bound there because I was able to AFK camp raptors at night.

Kobias
05-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Yep.. I distinctly remember being able to bind in the Firepot room at some point during Velious. I camped raptors there frequently too.

I can't find any patch notes regarding this subject, which is a little frustrating. I believe it was a stealth change, which is not uncommon.

I was really looking forward to binding there in P1999 =( Especially since we'll probably never have Luclin here, which made traveling aboard a bit easier.

Rhambuk
05-31-2011, 01:03 AM
I seem to recall they nerfed it for melee characters not being able to be binded there by other players, but casters still being able to bind themselves for quite some time.

Casters should Never have been able to bind melee there..

also melee who bind at pots are dumb

Kuriin
05-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Yep.. I distinctly remember being able to bind in the Firepot room at some point during Velious. I camped raptors there frequently too..

Huh. Interesting. I seem to recall they changed it within the first few months. How long, I'm not sure. I definitely don't remember them changing that as late as Velious.

Waedawen
05-31-2011, 04:56 AM
They're called "Firepots" because people are fucking neanderthals and don't know the word for "firepot" is brazier.

Dracnor
05-31-2011, 06:14 AM
They're called "Firepots" because people are fucking neanderthals and don't know the word for "firepot" is brazier.

lol