PDA

View Full Version : Spells: Shield of Songs - Aggro

Daldaen
05-02-2015, 10:46 AM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153778&highlight=shield+songs

The level 49 Bard song, Shield of Songs:

Shield of Songs
Increase Absorb Damage by 20 (L49)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classes: Brd (L49)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Area Effect Range: 150 feet

Skill: Stringed Instruments
Allowable Targets: Full Group

Resistance Check: None

Spell Duration: Unknown
Duration Formula: 5
Casting Time: 3.0 seconds

Spell cast on you: Your skin is encased in a shield of songs.
Spell cast on someone: Soandso's skin is encased in shield of songs.
Spell fades: Your skin returns to normal.

This song is essentially a group-wide rune. It should be generating massive aggro when continually pulsed on a single player, even more when on an entire group. This is due to how all runes generate large chunks of aggro.

Evidences:

EQDiva 2001 (https://web.archive.org/web/20020208232635/http://eqdiva.com/songs.asp?song=56)

May 2001:

One note about taunt and this song: HUGE. In a group of six, think of this as casting 2400 points of healing every minute. Creatures don't like it and they will chew on you. As a case in point, I was recently on a Nagafen raid when two bards in my group. I elected to sing Shield of Songs to help the group absorb damage. Nagafen didn't like it one bit. After the second pulse of the song, I became the primary target of her claws and teeth. In two minutes, I took over 8000 points of melee damage and only survived by the miracle of some very competent clerics.

October 2001:

Its rune that last 3 ticks, but if it wears of it will be restored
only next time u SING it, not at next tick, so in total if u twist this one with two another u get only 20 ( 40+ with instrument) hp
save in every 18 seconds, instead if u had played Nivs Melody o preservation u could get ~30 (~50 with instrument) plus melee buffs,
Nivs can wear of and dont give u full effects cuz u get DD, not so good, but anyway it absobed some dmg, even u had to wait two ticks get it back on. my preferences is:
nivs / mystic shielding / shield of songs
(Mystic SHielding have small regen, but if mobs casting a lot it worth it)
only good thing of shiekd of songs is very good hp save if NOT TWISTED, second thing - if only one tank here - u getting too much agro, u wasting Rune on grp members that dont need it, u could sing something more effective ( well everyone need rune, but do everyone need to get it refreshed every tick?)
SoS will help my caster grp to cast spell's better if MOB attacking them in melee, BUT as noted befere its EXTRA TAUNT song, u casting rune every 6 seconds on every grp member ;>

Also it worked like this on EQMac server:

Bard is kiting here generating aggro with Shield of Songs continually being twisted:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x205/Daldaen/EQ000308_zpsd8de01bb.png

Aftermath of 2-3 wizards and 2-3 druid/clerics PBAEing as the train runs over them:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x205/Daldaen/EQ000309_zps3167062f.png

This only worked in areas with no casters / summoners who all share a similar runspeed (Aka PoFire/PoValor). It generally took about 4-5 minutes of casting Shield of Songs every 3 seconds to generate enough aggro to be able to hold aggro over 2~ Winds of Gelid. The 3rd cast would usually get you killed so you had to abscond or camp.

So at 5 minutes of pulsing (about 80 pulses of Shield of Songs) that should generate the aggro roughly equivalent to 2-3 Winds of Gelid (2500-3750~ DMG). Currently the song isn't generating anywhere close to that aggro. Maths:

5 min * 60sec/min * 1 cast/3sec = 100 Casts, Round down to 80 Casts~ for purposes of Selosing inbetween casts.
2-3 Winds of Gelid = 2500-3750~ DMG of Aggros

2500 DMG Aggros / 80 Casts = 31.25 DMG of Aggros per Cast of Shield of Songs
3750 DMG Aggros / 80 Casts = 46.88 DMG of Aggros per Cast of Shield of Songs

Because of the above calculations, assume each pulse of Shield of Songs is equivalent to roughly a 30-45 DD spell worth of Aggro per person it lands on.

Currently it doesn't work like this and this is incorrect/not-classic. This song's rune should be generating a lot more hate each pulse, because rune.

Daldaen
05-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Bump - This song needs to generate a lot more aggro than it is currently.

Daldaen
05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Bump. Let's let non-Bladestopper bards hold aggro on a train like they should be able to.

Daldaen
06-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Bump. For classic bard aggro.

worch
06-08-2015, 09:53 AM
So at 5 minutes of pulsing (about 80 pulses of Shield of Songs) that should generate the aggro roughly equivalent to 2-3 Winds of Gelid (2500-3750~ DMG). Currently the song isn't generating anywhere close to that aggro.

Because of the above calculations, assume each pulse of Shield of Songs is equivalent to roughly a 30-45 DD spell worth of Aggro per person it lands on.

Currently it doesn't work like this and this is incorrect/not-classic. This song's rune should be generating a lot more hate each pulse, because rune.

Have you measured how much aggro it generates currently?

The song applies a 20 physical damage + 20 magic damage rune to each person each pulse (multiplied by the instrument modifier). With a 25 mod instrument, that's 40*2.5*6=600 hp rune per pulse for a group of 6. 600 hp is near the low end of Rune V (http://wiki.project1999.com/Rune_V)'s total damage absorption. If the song generated the same aggro per point of damage protection as Rune, that'd put it in line with the expectation you presented.

Darkatar
06-08-2015, 10:07 AM
March of the wee needs this adjustment as well maybe? Doesn't seem to generate the aggro I would expect from a rune.

Nirgon
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
some encounters had custom rune threat

VS comes to mind obviously but this is about right

my wizard epic on live caused a fucked up amount of threat, I can imagine a group wide one would be pretty ridic