PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Mage word drops

dafier
05-20-2015, 11:23 AM
I am fairly new to P99. 6 monthish of playing....

I have 2 different characters and have been a few places....a lot of different zones and have enjoy the experience very much.

Maybe this is a bug, maybe it's working as intended, but the drop rate all over Norrath of Mage Words for research is is about 1/10th the drop rate of Necro/Enchanter and Wizard words/pages/runes.

If I see a word drop that happens to be a mage research item, I am seriously amazed.

Of course if this is not a 'bug' then I apologize for posting here.

Thanks for your time.

*This is only my experience and before posting I had started marking it down on paper to make sure it's not a skewed perspective.

Daldaen
05-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Well one thing to remember with Mage words is Magicians usually only have 1-2 words per level because the pet spells usually use the same word.

Enchanters, Necros and Wizards generally have 6-7 page components per level.

If you're including the Mage non-word pieces (Ice of Velious, etc.) then the drop rates should be more even.

The suck is that you need 1 of the words x 5-6 per level. Whereas all the other classes only need 1-2 of each.

dafier
05-20-2015, 11:40 AM
Well one thing to remember with Mage words is Magicians usually only have 1-2 words per level because the pet spells usually use the same word.

Enchanters, Necros and Wizards generally have 6-7 page components per level.

If you're including the Mage non-word pieces (Ice of Velious, etc.) then the drop rates should be more even.

The suck is that you need 1 of the words x 5-6 per level. Whereas all the other classes only need 1-2 of each.

Yep, I thought about all that, just didn't convey it. Thanks! As for non-word pieces; Yes, that is very correct. The drop rates on those is decent enough for me NOT to post a concern about them.

Your point is right on about the pages. Yes, there is generally 1 word per level needed, if not 2, but in some cases you need several of those words. I still think there is a bug or the drop rate is off for Mage Words, possibly.

Example for multiple words needed for tiers of pet spells: Water pet from 39 to 49. 3 total pets. All of them have to be researched. You need 3 Words of Convocation, 2 Incarceration and 1 Bondage in order to make the level 39, 44 and 49 water pet, that is no failures.....

Daldaen
05-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Yea that's just bad design on the developers research system.

Requiring the previous level spell to research the next is fail when the previous one or two levels were research only as well.

dafier
05-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Yea that's just bad design on the developers research system.

Requiring the previous level spell to research the next is fail when the previous one or two levels were research only as well.

I understand and agree about the design being bad, but just to be clear. I've accepted the design, but the drop rates is my main focus.

I highly doubt P99 trying to be as original as possible will change design like this one. Drop rates are a 'lesser' change imo and I might make some at least think about it.

Victorio
05-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Research skill trivial levels are not the same. Mages trivial much earlier than necros for the same level of spell. (Edit: For levels 29, 34, 39, 44) Plus, you can always buy a pet at a new spell level, though it might not be the optimal pet.

dafier
05-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Research skill trivial levels are not the same. Mages trivial much earlier than necros for the same level of spell. (Edit: For levels 29, 34, 39, 44) Plus, you can always buy a pet at a new spell level, though it might not be the optimal pet.

Your response is invalid. This isn't a give your opinion part of this forum. I am reporting what I think might be a bug.

Baler
05-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Here is the drop rate's I've experienced.
Necro > Enchanter > Wizard > Mage

In my experience Mage words are the most rare spell research pages on the server. While Necro words drop like candy, followed by enchanter pages and sometimes wizard runes.

It's ****ed.