PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Pet aggro vs NPC

Crom
06-08-2015, 04:02 PM
There is something odd currently with Pet's, causing wrong person to get aggro due to pet's not able to build/keep aggro correctly.

I'm currently in a group as a pet class, the groups cleric cast a heal on me, mob turns on cleric, my pet regains aggro after a short while.

Pet keeps tanking the npc, the warrior in the group join the fight, for some reason the NPC drops aggro vs my pet and the warrior and attacks the cleric , who isn't casting or sitting, this happens every time the warrior or I get into range of the pet/npc ...the NPC runs from the fight and starts attacking the cleric who is standing at the other end of the room.

don't think it should work like this or ?

Daldaen
06-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Shouldn't work like that.

The reason it is doing that is because the cleric has higher aggro than the tank. However the pet has higher aggro than the cleric

Pet -> Cleric -> Tank

So as long as the pet is off tanking the mob, all is well. However once the PC Tank gets in melee range, the game goes "There is now a PC in melee range, so this NPC Pet no longer can be my target, default to highest PC on hate list". At least that's what it sounds like from what you have described.

This is NOT CLASSIC.

When the above situation unfolds, what should happen is:

PC Tank gets in melee range of the mob. At this point, as long as the Pet is the entity at the top of the hate list, the mob should consider itself a rooted mob. Turning to attack the PC closest in proximity to it, regardless of standing on the hatelist.. It should continue functioning like this until the pet is usurped at the top of the hatelist, then the NPC should attack the player who climbed to the top of the hatelist.

Jimjam
06-08-2015, 05:26 PM
Suggested work around: have your cleric heal with HP buffs instead of heal spells?

Haynar
06-08-2015, 05:36 PM
It should go to closest person in melee range, if pet has top aggro. If there are multiple in melee range, it should be highest aggro, not closest. I dont remember pets being a cheap root for bouncing aggro.

Interesting find.

Crom
06-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Suggested work around: have your cleric heal with HP buffs instead of heal spells?

we tested it with me nuking and gaining top of aggro list, same thing pet had aggro untill another player came near, NPC leaves fight and runs at me untill he's out of range of the player that join the fight and then returns to pet etc etc runing back and forth.

Haynar
06-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Not sure what correct fix is. Go to closest non-pet in melee range. Or go to highest aggro in melee range.

Daldaen
06-08-2015, 07:09 PM
Not sure what correct fix is. Go to closest non-pet in melee range. Or go to highest aggro in melee range.

Closest.

Pets having taunt on we're a plague in many instances because it makes hate irrelevant, and random DPS would get insta-slain when a mob turns on them because they are right underneath them.

It has benefits and draw backs, as with many EQ mechanics. This one in particular isn't easy to manipulate for your benefit though as mobs tend to get pushed around a lot, and you need a pet which can live and gain sufficient aggro to get to the point where this factors in (which normally implies the mob is relatively easy, since a pet is living that long tanking it).

Atleast this is from my Al'Kabor / Live experience. If people have evidence pre-2002, I'd be up to listen, but I doubt something like this would've gotten changed. Especially before the GoD pet revamp.

Crom
06-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Closest.

Pets having taunt on we're a plague in many instances because it makes hate irrelevant, and random DPS would get insta-slain when a mob turns on them because they are right underneath them.

It has benefits and draw backs, as with many EQ mechanics. This one in particular isn't easy to manipulate for your benefit though as mobs tend to get pushed around a lot, and you need a pet which can live and gain sufficient aggro to get to the point where this factors in (which normally implies the mob is relatively easy, since a pet is living that long tanking it).

Atleast this is from my Al'Kabor / Live experience. If people have evidence pre-2002, I'd be up to listen, but I doubt something like this would've gotten changed. Especially before the GoD pet revamp.

/aye

Crom
06-23-2015, 12:30 PM
we tested it with just sit aggro, same thing, pet had been working on the npc a while and as soon as the warrior came in range npc ran straight for the cleric who was sitting and hadn't even cast one spell.

need to get this fixed to closest.

Crom
07-06-2015, 08:13 AM
^ any luck on fixing it ?