PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Bard AOE Dots

ezri
08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I was testing to see what increase McV's Brass instrument gave over the vendor one - and I found a strange bug.

I was using Largo's Binding, Angs' Screech and Demon's Discord to fear/kite a lowbie monster without an instrument and what I found out was that if I swapped to a brass instrument the damage would increase and decrease when I equipped and unequipped the brass instrument. This happened without me recasting Demon's Discord. If I cast Demon's Discord with an instrument it would stay at max effect for the duration regardless of equipped or non-equipped item.

So for timeline would be
1. Cast Demon's Discord
2. Wait for Server Tick: 17dmg
3. Equip McV's Brass
4. Wait for Server Tick: 39dmg
5. Unequip McV's Brass
6. Wait for Server Tick: 17dmg
7. Equip McV's Brass
8. Cast Demon's Discord
9. Wait for Server Tick: 39dmg
10. Unequip McV's Brass
11. Wait for Server Tick: 39dmg

Ishapian
08-09-2015, 12:21 PM
I have also noticed this at lower levels with the bard song Chords of Dissonance and my Lute.

Chord ticks for 12 if cast with the Lute at my level.
If you remove the Lute, and do not refresh Chord, it continues to tick for 12. This is probably correct.

Chord ticks for 6 if cast without the Lute.
If you equip the Lute after landing Chord, and do not refresh Chord, it will tick for 12.
If you then remote the Lute, and do not refresh Chord, it will go back to ticking for 6. These 2 behaviors may not be intended.

So multiple DOT songs remember if they were cast with an instrument, and they also check for the presence of an instrument each tick.

Should DOT songs that were cast without an instrument mod check for an instrument mod each tick?

ezri
08-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Should DOT songs that were cast without an instrument mod check for an instrument mod each tick?

No the mod check should only be done when a [de]buff lands on a player/mob - it should not change until the [de]buff is sung again.