PDA

View Full Version : Experience Gain vs TLP Servers 1 to 50?

kallell
10-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Hi All,

I recently got back in to the eq after an 11 year hiatus. I started on the TLP servers (lockjaw), but recently found out about p99.

My question is around experience gain of the two. From what i can tell, it's easier to level on TLP from what i remember. P99 looks to still have the old leveling speed according to the wiki, but am curious as if that hasn't been updated to reflect kunark/velious. I can't remember if either of those xpacks impacted EXP gain/removed penalties.

That being said, how does the exp gain look in comparison to the TLP servers? For someone who would be dedicated to leveling and grinding the entire time they are on, how long would it take to get from 1 to 50 on p99, vs 1 to 50 on TLP (yes i realize you can hit level 60)?

Thanks all,

Kal

kined
10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
depends entirely on the class for how long it takes to 50. with my enchanter i got to ~54 in a month with a basic set of gear and goblin ring (while working a full time job but playing in about half of my free time). with my warrior it took me atleast 4+ months, but i was also not so focused. its definitely longer than the TLP server and the only exp change we had from classic that i know of is that hybrids are no longer penalized.

its a very long grind, so focus on the journey. theres very little reason to rush to end game on this server IMO unless you really have things you wanna do at max level. only reason ive been rushing is that its my second character and i made it purely for platinum making.

Ele
10-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Depends on the class when starting fresh and depends on how much time you plan to spend each day. If you are group dependent expect 50 in 2-3 of months with 3-4 hours a day to play. If you are a solo friendly class, you can do it in a month or so since you don't have to worry about finding and keeping a group. Speed up these time if you plan to play 8+ hour days.

There is also the PVP server (red) with a massive xp and group bonus where you can get 50, if you treat it as a full time job with overtime, in less than a week.

The last patch P99 implemented (Feb. 2001) removed the class experience penalties (racial and class bonuses are still implemented, as are racial penalties).

Itap
10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Generally, it takes the same amount of time to level 50-60 as it does 1-50. Casual playtime (2-3 hours per day) expect it to take 4-5 months to get 60.

It's classic leveling speed, so be prepared for a decent grind.

Spyder73
10-13-2015, 12:25 PM
it took me 10 months to get my first 60. But there was a large period of time where I burned out on leveling my monk and just raided and f#cked around farming items, ect, ect....and I also made a Bard and got him to 50...then i finished leveling my Monk.

55-60 is where you feel the burn on this server. 1-55 is not terribly bad IMO...But then again you can just Chardok to victory for probably 20k and go from 55-60 in a single day or maybe a weekend.

Troxx
10-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Even though levels 55, 56, 57, and 58 require less total xp than 54 ... I find these levels harder than 54 because your available pool of dark blue mobs in some zones gets smaller and smaller. Getting groups after 55 also becomes harder in a lot of zones that casual people frequent (KC etc).

Those with a good core of friends or guildmates and who hunt progressively harder zones won't see that drop off.

Itap
10-13-2015, 12:38 PM
you can just Chardok to victory for probably 20k and go from 55-60 in a single day or maybe a weekend.

Its a lot more than 20k. I believe it takes ~15 pulls to get 59-60, and thats 30k right there.

Troxx
10-13-2015, 12:52 PM
ugh not sure why anyone would pay 30k to accelerate through 59

Enjoy the game ... and at that level playing and enjoying your character will net you a ton of money earned along the way.

Itap
10-13-2015, 01:35 PM
ugh not sure why anyone would pay 30k to accelerate through 59

Enjoy the game ... and at that level playing and enjoying your character will net you a ton of money earned along the way.

While I have the same views, ppl that have multiple 60s don't really care for the grind anymore. That being said, I've never paid for a chardok proxy, tho it's looking nice right about now at 59 ;)

kallell
10-14-2015, 10:08 AM
I started the p99 grind last night. Holy shit leveling even to 4 is painful. Maybe due to being a chanter with nothing had something to do with it....

thufir
10-14-2015, 02:14 PM
I started the p99 grind last night. Holy shit leveling even to 4 is painful. Maybe due to being a chanter with nothing had something to do with it....

It's just painful. Welcome (back) to EQ.

perditionparty
10-14-2015, 02:59 PM

You have no money or freedom to go anywhere but your starting zone. You're woefully unequipped and have no spells/abilities that are genuinely useful. 1 to 10 are awful awful awful levels. between 10 and 20 your character starts getting better, but don't truely become enjoyable to play until 20.

welcome and enjoy the grind.

Atmas
10-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

I recently got back in to the eq after an 11 year hiatus. I started on the TLP servers (lockjaw), but recently found out about p99.

My question is around experience gain of the two. From what i can tell, it's easier to level on TLP from what i remember. P99 looks to still have the old leveling speed according to the wiki, but am curious as if that hasn't been updated to reflect kunark/velious. I can't remember if either of those xpacks impacted EXP gain/removed penalties.

That being said, how does the exp gain look in comparison to the TLP servers? For someone who would be dedicated to leveling and grinding the entire time they are on, how long would it take to get from 1 to 50 on p99, vs 1 to 50 on TLP (yes i realize you can hit level 60)?

Thanks all,

Kal

First off I want to say I find your post wonderfully worded.

Anyway here are my thoughts:
Some penalties got removed with Velious so hybrids no longer have that large 40% xp penalty which realistically ended up impacting everyone who grouped regularly at some point.

I would imagine if you are compare starting on either server with nothing the TLP server experience is faster. If you are getting help the P99 server might be quicker for some parts due to limitations on xp per mob. Overall though I bet TLP would still be quicker. The journey from 1 to 60 on P99 will really depend on your playtime and your knowledge of the game. 1 to 60 might just take you a few weeks if you are playing semi-hardcore. More likely a month or two if invested. Even if your gear stinks you will probably end up in some groups with people who have awesome gear because they are twinked alts. As someone else mentioned the journey from 1-50 is about half the total journey. Be prepared to experience those legendarily terrible hell levels.

Oh and I know Ele had mentioned that on Red if you played hardcore you could do 1-60 in a week, I highly doubt you would have any shot at that even playing a crazy amount unless you had a lot of friends already there. The lower levels go quick with the xp bonus and honestly when xping the higher lvls do too, but you will get tied up in PvP especially in the later 50s.

Sadre Spinegnawer
10-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Just take your own sweet time, and play how you want to play. make friends, find a guild, set whatever goals you want. no time crunch on p99

Sadre Spinegnawer
10-14-2015, 05:57 PM
You have no money or freedom to go anywhere but your starting zone. You're woefully unequipped and have no spells/abilities that are genuinely useful. 1 to 10 are awful awful awful levels. between 10 and 20 your character starts getting better, but don't truely become enjoyable to play until 20.

welcome and enjoy the grind.

I disagree. I think 1 - 10 are well designed. It is supposed to be hard. It kind of teaches you how easy it is to die + basic game mechanics like aggro issues etc. Lvl 1-10 is like a game with a game.

Suwu
10-14-2015, 06:10 PM
enchanter is a great pick to start!

Stack some HP to start then go CHA of course, 55hp rings should be priority!

also, GL lvling, you get a bit of a handicap since xp penalties have been lifted.

I'm lvling an iksar and loving the regular xp gain as my halfing!

baalzy
10-14-2015, 06:52 PM
lvl 3 is a nightmare for just about everyone, but especially casters cause of no med, crap spells and the starter mobs give very little xp at that point.

kallell
10-15-2015, 10:30 AM
lvl 3 is a nightmare for just about everyone, but especially casters cause of no med, crap spells and the starter mobs give very little xp at that point.

Made it to 6 1/2 last night, haha.

As an enchanter, is it worth the death run at level 8 to HH to get my chanter pets?

kined
10-15-2015, 12:09 PM

this is all chanters here, even if you have gear. first 20 are a bit tedious, but thats the case for most classes.... what isnt usual is how extremely powerful you will become after that point. you are only marginally useful now, but once you get charms, good cc, and buffs you will be a fucking beast who can level quicker than everyone except bards.

thufir
10-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Made it to 6 1/2 last night, haha.

As an enchanter, is it worth the death run at level 8 to HH to get my chanter pets?

I found the chanter pets were really tough early on, but you do get charm at 12 and you may do a lot of charm soloing from that point. The pet is nice damage that won't turn on you and can tank in a pinch, though.

kallell
10-15-2015, 03:51 PM
I found the chanter pets were really tough early on, but you do get charm at 12 and you may do a lot of charm soloing from that point. The pet is nice damage that won't turn on you and can tank in a pinch, though.

On that point - how does EXP gain work with charmed and summoned pets? I've read a lot of conflicting viewpoints, and am still a bit unclear on the details.

Could someone give me a quick synopsis on the information?

thufir
10-15-2015, 03:58 PM
On that point - how does EXP gain work with charmed and summoned pets? I've read a lot of conflicting viewpoints, and am still a bit unclear on the details.

Could someone give me a quick synopsis on the information?

Basically:

1) if you are soloing
2) if your pet does more than half the mob's hp in damage
3) the pet is still alive when the mob dies

you'll get half xp for the mob you just killed.

If any of those conditions are not true you get full xp.

Duoing with a cleric is a great way to get around condition 1) and takes a lot of the danger out of charm "soloing".

kallell
10-15-2015, 04:00 PM
Basically:

1) if you are soloing
2) if your pet does more than half the mob's hp in damage
3) the pet is still alive when the mob dies

you'll get half xp for the mob you just killed.

If any of those conditions are not true you get full xp.

Duoing with a cleric is a great way to get around condition 1) and takes a lot of the danger out of charm "soloing".

Alright thanks for the rundown. Why with a cleric in particular? Just for shields/ac/hp buffs? Or is there another piece I'm missing?

thufir
10-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Alright thanks for the rundown. Why with a cleric in particular? Just for shields/ac/hp buffs? Or is there another piece I'm missing?

Best heals and buffs, yeah. They will keep you alive. I'm sure it works with other healer classes too.

Man0warr
10-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Complete Heal is also the most efficient way to heal high HP charmed pets, at higher levels anyways.

Manticmuse
10-15-2015, 06:09 PM
don't forget to do at least 1 pt of damage with your character or pet eats even more than 50%