PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of starting on a fresh server

bridgetroll
10-22-2015, 06:43 PM
First of all, not trying to get the server wiped or anything, just have a genuine curiosity.

What are the advantages of starting on a fresh classic server, no added expansions? Specifically referring to items that may eventually get removed from game or skills/items that get nerfed because they are too OP.

Off the top of my head:

1. Manastone
2. Fire pot bind spot

Ehh, that's really all I can think of. I've only ever played servers (even live) that were in kunark or later.

Thanks in advance.

Ele
10-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Just a few off the top of my head:

1. Banded, Patchwork, Bronze everywhere!
2. Manastone (camp gets locked down though)
3. Guise (everyone and their twink locks down the camp)
4. Mistwalker
5. Firepot bind (once Kunark comes out)
6. Weak ass rogues (no evade and lame weapons)
7. Jboot camp (camp just becomes a line)
8. Fresh economy
9. Cryosilk Robe / Lustrous Russet
10. Server isn't saturated with dragon/sky haste items, mallets, puppet strings, bladestoppers, reapers, soulfires, wort pots, etc.

indiscriminate_hater
10-22-2015, 07:00 PM
The difference will be that you can physically see the no-lifes outpace you on their march towards content domination. You still wouldn't see any rare items

Sage Truthbearer
10-22-2015, 07:47 PM
1. Journeyman's Boots are a droppable item in Najena
2. Rubicite Armor drops in Cazic Thule
3. The Terror Forged Mask (http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask) (evil Cleric quest armor) used to have Necro Lich (Call of Bones) as a clickable effect, which was pretty OP.

ArumTP
10-22-2015, 08:22 PM
1. Journeyman's Boots are a droppable item in Najena
2. Rubicite Armor drops in Cazic Thule
3. The Terror Forged Mask (http://wiki.project1999.com/Terror_Forged_Mask) (evil Cleric quest armor) used to have Necro Lich (Call of Bones) as a clickable effect, which was pretty OP.

terror forged mask lasted 3 days on live, all become fear masks. non-issue.

iruinedyourday
10-22-2015, 08:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/3E7vH7w.gif

jcr4990
10-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Guise

/thread

Foxplay
10-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I think your missing the bigger opportunity of a new server to do something different aside from just making manastone's and masks overcamped...

They could always do a new server with different / new rules just to make it more interesting, some ideas for a different rule-set server...

#1) Actual progression timeline -- a server that follows the same time schedule as the normal servers releases of expansions, basically everything the same just no huge time spans mucking about kunark

#2) All gear is No drop + no MQing -- aka NBG server, plat is nigh useless and the only way to get ahead is to help each other out, the Tunnel has been rendered obsolete, no corpse'ing lore items to sell later here!

#3) The race to apocalypse -- Server is progressed by raid target kills, and reset when all velious raid targets are downed and Kerrafrym is released. (basically an ever-churning server, if you roll a character on this server you do so knowing you don't get to keep your stuff, this server is all about pushing the limit on killing raid targets fast) Guilds that reset the server get some kind of Hall of fame status or something special I don't know

JboxCSU
10-23-2015, 08:23 AM
I like #2...

Erazmus
10-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Being able to name your characters what you want.

myriverse
10-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Banded, Patchwork, Bronze were everywhere when I started and the server was not fresh. Seems to me that they become "everywhere" after a server has been around a while. Most of my characters have had a whole set of Bronze by the time they were level 10 just from selling furs and bones.

NegaStoat
10-23-2015, 12:12 PM
#2) All gear is No drop + no MQing -- aka NBG server, plat is nigh useless and the only way to get ahead is to help each other out, the Tunnel has been rendered obsolete, no corpse'ing lore items to sell later here!

I'd see this as a fun experiment as long as lesser forms of weapons (Fine Steel and under) and armor (damask / mesh / rawhide / ringmail / bronze or under) could still be traded, and all player crafted items could be traded. Players should still have a measure of freedom of acquiring at least initial levels of gear. And no one would bother with Jewelcrafting if they couldn't sell their crap. Sign me up!

Spyder73
10-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Being able to name your characters what you want.

As someone who is currently suffering from GM name discrimination, I want you to know your not alone. The hypocrisy on the server is at an all time high - Characters named Deez Nutz or Fartz Onyou are allowed to run rough shot all over the server with out repercussion, but traditional monk surnames such as Wu'Tang are being censored. Its really a sad state of affairs, but I have faith that the GMs can "become the change" that the server wants and deserves.

And whoever said that a new server = watching how fast the no lifers can outpace you - hit the nail on the head.

Lojik
10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
monk lives matter

iruinedyourday
10-23-2015, 02:13 PM
http://i.imgur.com/T2q0rkh.gif

koros
10-23-2015, 02:18 PM
terror forged mask lasted 3 days on live, all become fear masks. non-issue.

No. Although to be fair it was short.

------------------------------
February 17, 2000 7:00 am
The City of Paineel, home to the infamous Heretics of Erudin, is now
available via the Optional Patch. In addition, Erudites may now also be
Shadowknights in addition to the other classes available to them. All
Erudite Necromancers, Shadowknights, and Clerics who worship the God of
Fear, Cazic-Thule, now start in the City of Paineel. As such, if you
wish to create a character of this type from this point forward, you
*must* download the Paineel zone-files via the Optional Patch.

April 10, 2000
- The Terror Mask will now cast "Fear" instead of "Call of Bones" as
previously announced. The "Call of Bones" effect was placed on this
item by mistake.

Foxplay
10-23-2015, 04:12 PM
I'd see this as a fun experiment as long as lesser forms of weapons (Fine Steel and under) and armor (damask / mesh / rawhide / ringmail / bronze or under) could still be traded, and all player crafted items could be traded. Players should still have a measure of freedom of acquiring at least initial levels of gear. And no one would bother with Jewelcrafting if they couldn't sell their crap. Sign me up!

Good point exceptions could be made for "generic armor" as well as crafted armor, but any named armor drops would be no drop, would make for an interesting server Imo

Jimjam
10-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Good point exceptions could be made for "generic armor" as well as crafted armor, but any named armor drops would be no drop, would make for an interesting server Imo

I think exceptions should apply up to reinforced leather and fine plate... Racial stuff should have to be self made (mainly because screw half elves :P).

trite
10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
About #2..... the classic exp dungeons for 50+ groupage were designed to be about enduring terrible exp for the chance to random on some sellable loots (karnors, sebilis, velks)...you've just made the experience much more soul crushing...55+ spells are mostly dropped by mobs in these dungeons as well and they were designed to drop at rates with trades between players in mind.... Velious armor gems....seems like most peeps on this server are just going to wear classic planar armor for the duration....and torpor shamans will be rarer than unicorns

jcr4990
10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
About #2..... the classic exp dungeons for 50+ groupage were designed to be about enduring terrible exp for the chance to random on some sellable loots (karnors, sebilis, velks)...you've just made the experience much more soul crushing...55+ spells are mostly dropped by mobs in these dungeons as well and they were designed to drop at rates with trades between players in mind.... Velious armor gems....seems like most peeps on this server are just going to wear classic planar armor for the duration....and torpor shamans will be rarer than unicorns
Torpor Shamans rare? I don't follow the logic. Every time Torpor drops a shaman will loot it or people will try to get friends/alt shamans to loot it. Nobody will ever loot/bank it to sell later. Can you imagine it being actually possible that torpor drops and a /ooc goes out "Torpor rotting at xyz 2 min left on corpse"? I can foresee that kind of thing actually happening if this were true.

HallyVee
10-23-2015, 09:44 PM
The only advantage I'd get is not needing to refuse game breaking gifts of plat/gear. Not a huge deal really.

That's wrong. For a while I'd get to group up with untwinked players. I'd get to play at the intended difficulty level, not counting the portion of players with extensive knowledge.

Tecmos Deception
10-23-2015, 11:39 PM
The difference will be that you can physically see the no-lifes outpace you on their march towards content domination. You still wouldn't see any rare items

Dvorak - Humoresque No. 7 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBDmAxSFt6A)

Issar
10-24-2015, 03:45 AM
For those of us that found this server late, it would allow us the opportunity to enjoy the early game, much as it was at launch. Myself in particular, I would love to play with untwinked groups who had to rely on group cohesion to survive content, rather than steam roll content by vastly out gearing it. Oh yes, and guises for all.

Octave
10-24-2015, 04:44 AM
+1 for a no drop/no MQ server.

Releasing just another classic server would not hold interest as much as it has this go round. No drop/no mq would solve that. Add something new that keeps the server feeling old.

Niples
10-24-2015, 05:01 AM
-No drop/no MQ server
-add 1character only on accounts (no alts)

Foxplay
10-24-2015, 07:15 AM
-No drop/no MQ server
-add 1character only on accounts (no alts)

OooooooOoooohhh nice didnt even think of adding a no alt rule

iruinedyourday
10-24-2015, 02:15 PM
How could you enforce a no alt rule?

Ps if everything was no drop people would loot rots on low levels because items had no value and youd see twinks in the best gear possible increase by a large margin.

JboxCSU
10-24-2015, 03:06 PM

Honor system. Kappa

kaev
10-24-2015, 03:07 PM

Ps if everything was no drop people would loot rots on low levels because items had no value and youd see twinks in the best gear possible increase by a large margin.

This guy gets it. Any other old farts remember live before the level 46 minimum to enter Fear/Hate? The dominant raiding guilds of the time were locking down Fear/Hate to gear 20-something alts with planar armor. The nodrop-only notion would cause that disease to spread unchecked across the entire server. In a resource-limited environment like EQ, when people can't buy gear to twink with they arrange camps to do it. And when p99 lootwhores go to that much trouble they don't stop, they'd lock-down camps until all their guildies and e-friends and every last one of their shirt-tail relative's 17 alts were geared, selling loot rights once in a while if they needed extra pp to skill up some crafting or for hate & sky stones.

Thiefboy777
10-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Fungus staff and Blade of the Black Dragon eye

Bboboo
10-24-2015, 06:21 PM
The start of a fresh server with the way this community can be will be a shit show. Best get a law degree now to prepare.

Jfertal
10-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Fresh economy.

ultra populated classic zones! Black burrow!!!

Upgrading from leather-bronze

Guise/manastone etc

Lustrous-russet, classic class specific quested gear!

Mq's aren't a thing yet!!

shoot my list looks like ele's

drktmplr12
10-26-2015, 10:14 AM
NBG server

worst idea ever. b/c

selling loot rights

maskedmelon
10-26-2015, 10:33 AM
worst idea ever. b/c

Agreed! NBG is one of the greatest perversions of logic of our time ^^

Swish
10-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Make the big items no drop and ironically you'd have a more classic representation of a 1999 era server.

Add in a simple rule preventing anyone selling "loot rights" and thats a recipe for a good old time where people can level up and get guises, manastones etc for themselves rather than locking down "camp x" to sell 25-50 of an item in order to buy something like a manastone.

hillgiantchamp
10-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Make it a poll I vote #2 !