PDA

View Full Version : Swish was right

Monty405
11-13-2015, 12:47 PM
So I made a newbie red mage on red 99.

Not only did I get eight levels in one evening of playing but people everywhere were inviting me to join their group.

Best part is none of us were twinked in any way shape or form. One person gave me a few pieces of cloth that dropped after noticing i was naked, another gave me a backpack full of crushbone belts.

Tired of the same old twinkquest where no one interacts until 50+, and even then barely?

Play on a server which actually promotes and rewards social interaction!

Play on Red 99 today!

Kerwin
11-13-2015, 12:51 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/37/8e/f4/378ef4c0df445eea88abc3c493728929.jpg

Fuggers
11-13-2015, 01:19 PM
It's fun until level 45-ish then you have to actually pvp and quickly realized how bad the mechanics are. Maybe it was me being bad but the game is just not designed for PvP

Colgate
11-13-2015, 01:29 PM
Maybe it was me being bad

probably

Lojik
11-13-2015, 01:34 PM
probably

Troubled
11-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Red's a lot of fun for untwinked toons.

Redi
11-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Voted 5

indiscriminate_hater
11-13-2015, 01:53 PM
lol levels 1-8 in one night and someone gave you a few pieces of cloth to start? truly the promised land

dafier
11-13-2015, 01:56 PM
RnF thread....

jolanar
11-13-2015, 01:57 PM
Obviously all those new players don't last long otherwise the pop would be more than it is.

Kerwin
11-13-2015, 02:07 PM
blue was out before red, most people dont want to start over... but sometimes it just takes giving it a chance to realize how much more there is to eq with pvp

arsenalpow
11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
The lure always seems to be the promise of fast leveling and PvP to solve problems, except everyone always talks about how friendly and cuddly the population is. Where's the PvP? Seems like all these new folks are fodder for the twinks. The original PvP servers were the best because it was some sharks and a lot of fish, red has distilled down to tons of sharks and barely any fish, which is why these threads are necessary. Gotta feed those sharks.

OfftuneRZ
11-13-2015, 02:23 PM
Why even waste your time on blue? You are just gonna want that next level....that next piece of gear....then what? You end up killing every raid mob over and over, I would imagine it gets stale and boring very quickly. Your pvp encounters are always different and you will never have the same encounter twice, doesn't that sound more interesting than hitting auto attack on "Raid_target_05" for the 100th time?

iruinedyourday
11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
The lure always seems to be the promise of fast leveling and PvP to solve problems, except everyone always talks about how friendly and cuddly the population is. Where's the PvP? Seems like all these new folks are fodder for the twinks. The original PvP servers were the best because it was some sharks and a lot of fish, red has distilled down to tons of sharks and barely any fish, which is why these threads are necessary. Gotta feed those sharks.

nah its just funner than blue

whether you are doing blue shit like trying to get pixels

or red shit like porting around loling at ragetells

or just hanging out and fucking around with wheover comes within range of you and lolilng about it

its just funner thats the draw.

http://www.gospeltoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/SayYes_MTV.gif

arsenalpow
11-13-2015, 02:41 PM
EQ PvP is like 70% gear, 15% skill, 10% numbers, 5% RNG luck.

Empire has the gear, Empire has the numbers, and they obviously have some modicum of skill. Sounds to me like the server has been won. Wipe it clean #Teams99

Kerwin
11-13-2015, 02:55 PM
EQ PvP is like 70% gear, 15% skill, 10% numbers, 5% RNG luck.

Empire has the gear, Empire has the numbers, and they obviously have some modicum of skill. Sounds to me like the server has been won. Wipe it clean #Teams99

not really true when you still kill bis velious chars in kunark gear

Bionic
11-13-2015, 03:01 PM
probably

This from the guy who plays only the OP Pvp classes.

#loser

iruinedyourday
11-13-2015, 03:02 PM
not really true when you still kill bis velious chars in kunark gear

dude truth.. if anyone thinks PvP gear dependent they just dont pvp that well or much...

Gear helps you recoup after a fight or helps you survive in mass pvp.. but it will not = kills if you dont know how the mechancis of this game work in pvp

Mr helps you avoid roots but even at 120 an enchanter can still land a lvl 4 mez on you after tash...

An enchanter with half his inventory empty who knows how to dispel & range spells can eviscerate a well geared anybody.

Gear has more of an effect on PvE than it does in PvP in 99% of scenarios.

Empire wins every mass PVP engagement first and foremost because they know how to win mass pvp engagements.

Friends knows how to win nearly every group pvp engagement because they know how to win group pvp engagements.

Blue twinks die to Thunderdrome every time because they dont know what the fuck they are doing.

Vallanor
11-13-2015, 03:08 PM
or just hanging out and fucking around with wheover comes within range of you and lolilng about it

I'm sure Swish is right that grouping at low levels with no gear newbies on red is a blast. But a ruleset that encourages people to fuck with you in a horribly balanced PVP setting just sounds awful. No amount of exp bonus and mages in rags is enough to convince me to overlook that some twinked-out psychopath can grief me at will. If that's your cup of tea, then more power to you, but red is definitely not for everyone.

SlankyLanky
11-13-2015, 03:12 PM
i dont think classic eq was ever a good pvp game. period. the fast leveling and what not is great, and i do agree that blues pop and high end player base is a bit of a downer at times, but ide rather play blue then red because everquest pvp just doesnt interest me at all and at end game im sure its a big part of the game. i guess ide rather wait on loot then fight over it.

polishanarchy
11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
I played on red for about ~43 levels or something. The xp is super fast, no doubt about that. There were always twinks camped in popular leveling zones. In some cases you can gang up and kill them till they log (why should they fight an unfair battle), which is fun I guess if you're into the "you wasted my time so I'm gonna waste your time" mentality. Heard not great things about getting up to 49 or so when raiders who stay in the low 50s are waiting to gank you at will.

maskedmelon
11-13-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm sure Swish is right that grouping at low levels with no gear newbies on red is a blast. But a ruleset that encourages people to fuck with you in a horribly balanced PVP setting just sounds awful. No amount of exp bonus and mages in rags is enough to convince me to overlook that some twinked-out psychopath can grief me at will. If that's your cup of tea, then more power to you, but red is definitely not for everyone.

I agree, red is not for everyone, but it all comes down to your perspective. You have to understand and accept the pvp mindset. It's not about making others miserable it's about having fun... in a different way ^^ If you expect pvp to happen, you won't be disappointed when it does. Whether you win or lose, chances are you'll learn something. You don't lose anything aside from coin when you die and if you're a good sport you might even land a Rez from your tankers. Sometimes you'll run into someone who is generally unpleasant, but 95% of your experience is all about your attitude ^^

myriverse
11-13-2015, 03:36 PM
You know something is really wrong if they have to give you such a huge XP bonus, and still 90% of the people don't stick with it.

Raev
11-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Most of the red arguments are a huge bait and switch. Sure, Red is a lot of fun 1-50. The group XP bonus and the low population mean it feels like some sort of upgraded version of Blue where get way more group invites, level faster, and don't have to worry about everything being camped.

Then you get to L50, and everyone you meet will try to kill you on sight. Most of this will be pure griefing. For example:

The guy who turned in 50 bone chips to boost his Legion of Cabilis faction and tried to gank my necro at the bank
The two Friends druids who snuck up on a BnB group and cast double Blizzard (thankfully I was always anal about resist cold!) for like 4 kills in 5 seconds. I have to admit I laughed.
Multiple Wizards (Hookrs I'm looking at you!) who think casting Ice Comet from the roof of City of Mist is the epitomy of PVP skill
Gaffin (Kerwin) trying to kill my necro on a CR; he's terrible so I nearly killed him despite being naked but my groupmates actually healed him after he got some mobs on him :(
Random Empire Druid trying to stomp my Necro in EJ and gating ASAP after I dropped Ignite Blood and Bond of Death on him and dispelled winged death

The point is: on the forums, all of the red propagandists will talk about how PVP is this great way to resolve camp disputes. On the actual server, PVP is a great way for people who are bad at life to feel good about themselves by upping their KDR via sneak attacks.

I don't really feel that people on either server play for challenge or enjoyment. It's all GIVE ME DOPAMINE PLZ. Blue players get it from pixels, Red players get it either from pixels or kills.

wormed
11-13-2015, 04:33 PM
Honestly, the reason why Blue starts to suck is because it was stuck on Kunark for almost 3x longer than the content could provide for. Now everyone is an uber geared asshole and can compete for every mob in Velious. Now Velious will stick around for 3x as long as the content is viable for and be done.

Maybe it isn't Blue and Red that sucks but the idea of EQ staying in era's that cannot sustain lengthy play times unless you're a masochist, unemployed, or enjoy making 12 level 30 alts over and over.

Kerwin
11-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Most of the red arguments are a huge bait and switch. Sure, Red is a lot of fun 1-50. The group XP bonus and the low population mean it feels like some sort of upgraded version of Blue where get way more group invites, level faster, and don't have to worry about everything being camped.

Then you get to L50, and everyone you meet will try to kill you on sight. Most of this will be pure griefing. For example:

The guy who turned in 50 bone chips to boost his Legion of Cabilis faction and tried to gank my necro at the bank
The two Friends druids who snuck up on a BnB group and cast double Blizzard (thankfully I was always anal about resist cold!) for like 4 kills in 5 seconds. I have to admit I laughed.
Multiple Wizards (Hookrs I'm looking at you!) who think casting Ice Comet from the roof of City of Mist is the epitomy of PVP skill
Gaffin (Kerwin) trying to kill my necro on a CR; he's terrible so I nearly killed him despite being naked but my groupmates actually healed him after he got some mobs on him :(
Random Empire Druid trying to stomp my Necro in EJ and gating ASAP after I dropped Ignite Blood and Bond of Death on him and dispelled winged death

The point is: on the forums, all of the red propagandists will talk about how PVP is this great way to resolve camp disputes. On the actual server, PVP is a great way for people who are bad at life to feel good about themselves by upping their KDR via sneak attacks.

I don't really feel that people on either server play for challenge or enjoyment. It's all GIVE ME DOPAMINE PLZ. Blue players get it from pixels, Red players get it either from pixels or kills.

lol i never really attack anyone on cr's so im interested in what your name was, if empire then ok i believe i probably did that

Troxx
11-13-2015, 04:53 PM

As someone who played on tallon and sullon zek for a long time, that's pretty much how I figured it was on red99.

It's no different than pvp servers from live. That doesn't make it bad ... but you have to accept and acknowledge it for what it is ... and you do NOT see that reflected in the 'come join red' threads. I know how it is, there is fun and enjoyment in it if that's what you're into.

As for me, my p99 experience is a trip down memory lane and a chance to experience old classic content from new angles. I never got to play a lot of my chosen classes until much later in the game when the population was spread out and old zones were ghost towns.

Raev
11-13-2015, 06:35 PM
lol i never really attack anyone on cr's so im interested in what your name was, if empire then ok i believe i probably did that

Summary: I died to a vapor golem in City of Mist; Kerwin attacks me as soon as I zone in naked; I DA and drag my corpse to the zone line; lifetap him while rooted, then loot and try to invis run to my group, but Celeste saves Kerwin by mezzing the golems that would have killed him at 20% life, so I gate out (because 110 base int sucks). Also I was either in Thunderdome or unguilded at the time.

[Thu Jun 11 12:51:24 2015] A vapor golem hits YOU for 37 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 12:51:24 2015] You have been slain by a vapor golem!
[Thu Jun 11 12:51:24 2015] You have lost experience.
[Thu Jun 11 12:51:28 2015] Returning to Cabilis East, please wait...
[Thu Jun 11 12:51:28 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
[Thu Jun 11 13:04:55 2015] You have entered The City of Mist.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:13 2015] Kerwin begins to cast a spell.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:14 2015] Kerwin regains concentration and continues casting.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:14 2015] Your shadows fade.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:14 2015] Your feet become entwined. You have taken 69 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:28 2015] You begin casting Harmshield.
[Thu Jun 11 13:05:42 2015] Summoning Tideka's corpse...
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:00 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:16 2015] You have entered The Emerald Jungle.
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:26 2015] Your feet become entwined. You have taken 69 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:28 2015] Kerwin begins to cast a spell.
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:29 2015] You have been healed for 151 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:29 2015] Tideka beams a smile at Kerwin
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:29 2015] Tideka says 'Ahhh, I feel much better now...'
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:29 2015] Kerwin was hit by non-melee for 151 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:29 2015] Kerwin staggers..
[Thu Jun 11 13:06:48 2015] LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:02 2015] You have entered The City of Mist.
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:09 2015] You receive 37 platinum, 403 gold, 76 silver and 88 copper from the corpse.
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:51 2015] Kerwin tries to crush YOU, but misses!
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:51 2015] Your shadows fade.
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:51 2015] You gather shadows about you.
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:52 2015] A haze golem hits Kerwin for 33 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:07:52 2015] A haze golem bashes Kerwin for 17 points of damage.
[Thu Jun 11 13:08:08 2015] Celeste begins to cast a spell.
[Thu Jun 11 13:08:11 2015] A haze golem has been mesmerized.
[Thu Jun 11 13:08:16 2015] You begin casting Gate.
[Thu Jun 11 13:08:36 2015] You have entered Cabilis East.

iruinedyourday
11-13-2015, 06:40 PM
hehe dude come on city of mist? you're rustled about getting ganked in the city of mist? lol

Raev
11-13-2015, 07:00 PM
I wondered when some tool would come out of the shed with a vapid 'u mad bro'. No, I just consider it a community service to shine the light of truth through the 'come play red' propaganda.

Also for the record I died 0 times in PVP. http://www.r99pvp.net/seasonone/showplayer.php?p=Tideka

I'm sure I could have gotten more kills if I went around ganking people, but I never did.

iruinedyourday
11-13-2015, 07:13 PM
nobody that says to try red says you should go to city of mist.. thats where people that dont listen to good advice go . I mean even people that KNOW they are going to get ganked in COM (myself included) go there for xp cus its so easy.

its basically a zone that if you do anything but lol at the pvp and join in and fight for a 15 minuet break from pve in a zone everyone can bind and it basically rains XP with pretty much zero risk.. well then its not the servers problem you arnt having fun hehe.

Swish
11-13-2015, 07:19 PM
If you pumice Hookrs he'll run so fast he'll look like he's speed hacking. I chased him out of North Freeport once, he's not very good - just uses terrain to his as advantage. If you encounter a twink at any level, be carrying crystalized pumice (clickable 2 slot cancel magic). It's not cheap (15pp or so for 5 charges?) but damn do most of those twinks/opportunists mostly zone out lol.

Swish
11-13-2015, 07:19 PM
PS - posting in a quality thread <3

Pipip
11-13-2015, 09:08 PM
I don't need skill, I gate like a pro :D