PDA

View Full Version : /ooc

Yellow
01-27-2010, 10:56 PM
With the population increase of the serer more and more on peak hours /ooc is flooded i think there needs to be something done about this as it is very hard for us to use /ooc for general bullshit ranting and to use it for grpiung etc.. maybe we should make a lfg channel. and for those all like well it wasnt classic.. its just another chat channel.

Rogean
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
With the fix of /who all lfg, theres no need to rely on ooc for it anymore.

Finawin
01-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Removing serverwide OOC will be a severe detriment to the feeling a lot of people get that the server is well populated. It also removes quick responses to help people might require.

Then there's my personal opinion that I will get bored as fuck sitting in a camp without the rampant stupidity that is inane tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist banter.

Goobles
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Removing serverwide OOC will be a severe detriment to the feeling a lot of people get that the server is well populated. It also removes quick responses to help people might require.

Then there's my personal opinion that I will get bored as fuck sitting in a camp without the rampant stupidity that is inane tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist banter.

Which is why we need more GMs to answer these questions.

Tristin
01-28-2010, 01:32 AM
You could block it out all together or put it in a seperate chat window and just look and see if anything you needed to know was said every once in a while.

nalkin
01-28-2010, 02:15 AM
I think at a peak of 600-700 they should take it out. Maybe 800. With a couple hundred more people the OOC will scroll so fast you won't be able to read anything unless you stretch it to your whole screen.

dokfeelg00d
01-28-2010, 02:23 AM
Yeah this can be fixed with another chat window... I feel like it is just right as I have some really funny crap to read as I am medding.

Taluvill
01-28-2010, 02:28 AM
You have to think; To disband ooc, you have to have a large enough population to support 100-200 people just in EC tunnel during the off hours.

Having a good population during peak hours alone will not completely fix everything. i'd say a 1k to 1200 population peak would be sufficient, with 600-700 at the lowest hours

Hasbinbad
01-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Which is why we need more GMs to answer these questions.
This possible portents of this post are manifold. I'd feel bad for the staff if certain of these aren't spurious. lawl.

Sponge
01-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Some would argue that "server-wide ooc isn't classic", but honestly, either is playing with less than several thousand people.

This is frankenstein eq, get used to it.

Goobles
01-28-2010, 03:28 AM
Translation

The possibility of something of great importance is eminent(soon to happen) of this post are of many. You would feel bad for the staff if certain of these aren't conterfeit.

I don't know if this makes sense, I couldn't find the Hasbintranslator on dictionary.com.

Yellow
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
my thoughts were i see /lfg works but a channel solely used for finding grps would allow /ooc to get as busy as it wants and players can still find grps...

searching lfg is different then spamming a channel.
But oh well its not needed or anything so i wont worry about it :) Im sure the devs have realized /oom getting more pop'd and will resolve it i f it becomes an issue.

Aaron
01-28-2010, 10:10 AM
/ooc would be great if people wouldn't try to have conversations about the following: drugs, politics, sports, religion. Most people in these conversations consider themselves much smarter than they actually are.

Yellow
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
/ooc has no rules and making them would be a waste

Zexa
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm amazed that so many people actually still read /ooc. To me, the OOC channel is nothing but a little chat box of green text off to the side of my screen in a place I won't be bothered by it. The only time I even read anything said in /ooc anymore is when someone says something that happens to have set off one of my audio triggers.

I guess chat channels never worked out, huh?

drplump
01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey my name is gnulinux i like walks in the oasis.

My audio triggers are:
FBSS
Manastone
Jew
9/11
Rubicite
Gay
Fireball
Port
Druid
Rogean
GM-Secrets
Yak

Winobot
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM

Did some searching, didn't see any thread specifics. Channels never seem to work on emu servers. If we were able to, we could have general, trade, LFG, etc.

Aaron
01-28-2010, 01:14 PM
/ooc has no rules and making them would be a waste

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting ooc rules, but rather a broad plea that people shut the hell up with their worthless opinions.

nalkin
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm amazed that so many people actually still read /ooc. To me, the OOC channel is nothing but a little chat box of green text off to the side of my screen in a place I won't be bothered by it. The only time I even read anything said in /ooc anymore is when someone says something that happens to have set off one of my audio triggers.

How do you set audio triggers?

Erasong
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
duh, ooc is for trollin.

-Elaida

drplump
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
How do you set audio triggers?

This is audio triggers in the "EQ Start Menu" useful for things like "You Spell wore off" or "Incoming".

aresprophet
01-29-2010, 01:02 AM
You have to think; To disband ooc, you have to have a large enough population to support 100-200 people just in EC tunnel during the off hours.

Having a good population during peak hours alone will not completely fix everything. i'd say a 1k to 1200 population peak would be sufficient, with 600-700 at the lowest hours

I recall seeing fewer than 50 people on EMarr in EC back in Kunark days at 3 in the morning. That was with a 2k-2500 peak server pop.

If global /ooc were removed you'd have to take global /auc too or you'd just see it co-opted for the same purpose. Policing that would be messy.

I'm all for the removal of global channels. Being able to auction your shit while camping something out in bumfuck nowhere saves loads of time and makes it a seller's market. Forcing sellers to spend valuable time in EC auctioning stuff gives advantages to buyers and gives the server something resembling a real economy.

Yellow
01-29-2010, 11:13 AM
I recall seeing fewer than 50 people on EMarr in EC back in Kunark days at 3 in the morning. That was with a 2k-2500 peak server pop.

If global /ooc were removed you'd have to take global /auc too or you'd just see it co-opted for the same purpose. Policing that would be messy.

I'm all for the removal of global channels. Being able to auction your shit while camping something out in bumfuck nowhere saves loads of time and makes it a seller's market. Forcing sellers to spend valuable time in EC auctioning stuff gives advantages to buyers and gives the server something resembling a real economy.
Yeah i agree the servers population has become larger and ooc is out of control and what you said above is amazingly true now i support the removal of global channels.