PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Self Defense Guide

Ezrick
08-26-2016, 01:15 PM
I posted a new guide to the wiki. Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get it linked to the Class Guide page. You can find the guide here. (http://wiki.project1999.com/Cleric_Guide_to_Self_Defense)

Comments, suggestions, edits are welcome.

Ezrick

Jimjam
08-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Fun guide!

I do have to say you did make a small mistake in your guide; you mention dodge is for avoidance, defence is for AC. This is not true; dodge determines your chance to perform a dodge. Defence determines both your avoidance and mitigation. It is a very important skill.

Ezrick
08-26-2016, 01:57 PM
Fun guide!

I do have to say you did make a small mistake in your guide; you mention dodge is for avoidance, defence is for AC. This is not true; dodge determines your chance to perform a dodge. Defence determines both your avoidance and mitigation. It is a very important skill.

Well I guess I think of dodge as avoidance in a general sense if not technically accurate. Not getting hit = avoiding getting hit. It might be a bit too technical a distinction for the guide. Let me figure out how to phrase it.

EDIT:
OK edited for accuracy. The section now reads, "A successful Dodge keeps you from getting hit at all. AC is avoidance and mitigation, when you do get hit you get hit for less."

Ezrick
08-26-2016, 01:59 PM
I posted a new guide to the wiki. Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get it linked to the Class Guide page. You can find the guide here. (http://wiki.project1999.com/Cleric_Guide_to_Self_Defense)

Comments, suggestions, edits are welcome.

Ezrick

Sorn, a fine soul with the technical know-how has correctly linked the guide to the class guide page now.

Jimjam
08-26-2016, 02:18 PM
OK edited for accuracy. The section now reads, "A successful Dodge keeps you from getting hit at all. AC is avoidance and mitigation, when you do get hit you get hit for less."

May I suggest:

"A successful Dodge keeps you from getting hit at all. AC is avoidance and mitigation, you get hit less often and when you do get hit you get hit for less."

Ezrick
08-26-2016, 02:25 PM
May I suggest:

"A successful Dodge keeps you from getting hit at all. AC is avoidance and mitigation, you get hit less often and when you do get hit you get hit for less."

Yeah, but too many "hits" in there. Changed to, "you get hit less often and when you do get hit you take less damage." Effectively the same, but sounds a bit better.

Thanks Jimjam!

Jimjam
08-26-2016, 02:57 PM
No problem, thanks for writing up that guide!

RDawg816
08-27-2016, 04:39 AM
Seems to be a well-written guide. It made me remember grouping in CoM on my shaman. Our tank left, and a cleric was LFG. I invited him and once he joined I told him he was replacing our tank...
I have never seen a happier dwarf. We even let him pull some. He really enjoyed the ghosts. The rogue was impressed with how much faster they died.
Clerics can be boring, but they don't have to be. :)

Jimjam
08-27-2016, 08:52 AM
I just remembered another great way to raise defence;

To grab a train of mobs and tank it with divine aura. Of course, you need an exit strategy for when it fades (tank at zoneline?)

Ezrick
08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Seems to be a well-written guide. It made me remember grouping in CoM on my shaman. Our tank left, and a cleric was LFG. I invited him and once he joined I told him he was replacing our tank...
I have never seen a happier dwarf. We even let him pull some. He really enjoyed the ghosts. The rogue was impressed with how much faster they died.
Clerics can be boring, but they don't have to be. :)

It really can work. Helps if you have an enchanter for clarity. With the cleric's stun line they really can hold aggro as long as the mana holds out. I once tanked imps in SolB for a few hours on live like that because we had two clerics and no tanks. Was a blast but did need a med break now and again.

I was thinking about the guide and it really helps to have a good, warrior quality 1HB to do this or the soloing I mentioned in the guide. I did give the Jade Mace back to it's owner, but a good choice for a dwarf is a Dwarven Sap. 8/20 1HB, picked it up in EC for 50p. Everything but absolute top of the line weapons are really affordable on P99 and it's worth the effort to get one just to keep in the bag for those times. Other cheap weapons that are decent and all races can use include a Smoldering Brand, Mudman Enforcer (both around 50p) and a tad more expensive (250 or so) Nobles Walking Staff that even has a couple of points of Wis and Str on it. All are fast 1HB weapons (faster is better after level 30 when you get the Str bonus, ratio is better until then).