PDA

View Full Version : The great /ooc debate right here right now

Azazel
02-16-2010, 10:56 AM

drplump
02-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I thought the only way you could play this game was stoned?

Dabamf
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Ban everyone who votes no on this poll.

Zexa
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I almost voted no out of my instinct to protect anyone's right to talk about what they want, but then I realized we're talking about the cool kids in /ooc who are here to enlighten us about why politician A is right and B is RONG!

Qi0
02-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I don't know about banned, but ooc is reaching the point at peak hours where it definitely needs to be moderated in some sense. Even a casual mention of certain topics seems to send the channel into a frenzy, and a few (you'd think obvious) trolls have more than taken note of it.

The only other alternative I can think of is to revert it to zonewide when a certain threshold of players is reached (and I'm not sure this would even be possible, for that matter).

Loke
02-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I voted no.

I don't use drugs anymore because I grew the fuck up, Ron Paul 2012, and Velious was clearly where EQ peaked (although raiding in SoL and PoP was kind of fun).

But seriously, it is kind of annoying.

The Situation
02-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Most of the regulars in conversations on these topics are self-important douches. We should be able to vote people's /ooc rights away.

drplump
02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Reversal of Fortune: Drugs, Politiks and EQ Expansions are now the ONLY topics allowed in OOC!

guineapig
02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Let's do it Team Fortress style.

Votekick!!!

nalkin
02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Say, what about a continent wide ooc?

Hasbinbad
02-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Say, what about a continent wide ooc?
Simple. Effective. Completely batshit crazy.

IT JUST MIGHT WORK!!!

Otis
02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I like it! But what about island zones like Ocean of Tears?

Finawin
02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
If you don't like a discussion in a CHAT channel. Don't chat. Shut it off and stop being a fucking pussy.

I can't imagine how soft-skinned you must be outside of the game if a simple chat channel can raise your ire so much.

TL;DR

Shut the fuck up and deal with it, pansies.

Rifter
02-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Simple. Effective. Completely batshit crazy.

IT JUST MIGHT WORK!!!

Except Antonica will still be a festering pile of shit.

Hasbinbad
02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
90% of everything in this world is a festering pile of shit, Rifter, figuratively and literally.

Get used to it.

drplump
02-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Poor Odus :(

Bakaris
02-18-2010, 04:59 AM
If you don't like a discussion in a CHAT channel. Don't chat. Shut it off and stop being a fucking pussy.

I can't imagine how soft-skinned you must be outside of the game if a simple chat channel can raise your ire so much.

TL;DR

Its annoying tbh. Talking about who is doing drugs or who has the most weapons.

Suggestion could be, make a worldwide chat for that kind of talk. As people ask EQ questions and looking for groups in OOC can easily get overseen, because of constant spam of irrelevant stuff (at least to me)

drplump
02-18-2010, 08:01 AM
How about they just add a feature to turn global chat on and off on a per person basis. That way if someone doesn't like it they can disable it.

Make a channel that only people who have ooc disabled can chat in called #smugchat

Ghesta
02-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I say remove the ability to OOC till you hit level 20. :)

WyldGunz
02-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Seriously ?!?!?! I voted B 8) if your not mature enough to handle grown up materials or to enlighten your children on the topics then im sorry for where our future is going. Ignore the topics and they will just go away and keeping fearing.

I'm in favor of embracing it and making it so its not a big issue and most your people will stop screwing around because nobody cares and can handle it 8) win win

Morfnblorsh
02-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Absolutely brilliant!

Hasbinbad
02-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, this is a great idea, this has worked EXTREMELY well in MANY different games I have played to naturally filter out idiocy (danthrotica, how I shall miss thee!).

Taluvill
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
if you dont like ooc, just skim it for the lfg tags....

Yeah

Ghesta
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
I wasn't serious!

That's stupid, why would they do that!

level 3 maybe... 10? No! The smiley face was for sarcasm.

My point was why police OOC at all? Just turn it off or filter it to a junk window, that's what I do.

Tristin
02-20-2010, 02:48 AM

TL;DR

Finawin will you be my friend?

celicara29
02-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Voted no.

Sometimes when I've been sucking off EQ for hours on end, grinding it...it's nice to not be limited to discussion strictly about ingame shit. Sometimes I wouldn't mind getting caught up in an EQ or even EQ2 expansion discussion with other people when I'm stuck medding for a long time, or waiting on a group.

As far as drugchat, stoners like to know other players are just as stoned as they are. Feels good man. So you're either:
A. Bullshitting about drugs with likeminded people
B. Ignoring the drug chat because while it's not your thing, you really don't care about /ooc banter that doesn't affect you.
C. Getting really mad about the discussion of drugs and wanting to force people to stop.

A and B are rational. C is irrational.

drplump
02-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Move all players who have a problem with drugchat to a guild called [sXe]

Juda
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Turn off your ooc and quit bitching servers up thats all yopu people do fuckin bitch none stop 24/7

Outbound
02-22-2010, 04:34 PM
It's not that people want to chat about out of game topics. It's that people Troll for attention, and get it... from other Trolls, and this makes /ooc unusable to anyone except the Trollers and Flamers. I dont care if you want to talk about your neighbors bad breath, or how far up your ass your panties ride. I just get tired of the obvious spamming of ignorant crap that that is intended to do nothing more then disrupt the channel. Once the the channel turns into a white noise of whos smoking what, why <insert political figure here> is the worst ever, why your religion is better than others and god doesnt love anyone but you... It starts to effect all those that don't want to be a part of the circle jerk. Sure, we can turn it off, Ive done it many times, but that takes a part of the game that is intended for honest discussion of in/out of game issues and makes it only usable by those taking part in the bull shit.

It's not about talking to others about whatever you want. Its about disrupting the channel for the sake of disrupting the channel, then telling everyone else they need to alter their game to accomodate you.

Qixix
02-22-2010, 06:21 PM

^ This, or limit, by *insert whatever is most effective here, IP or account or character*, the number of posts to a global channel (or a specific global channel, or all global channels) per *insert whatever amount of time here is voted upon and/or reasonable*.

I wouldn't mind if I can only post to a global channel once per 2 or 3 minutes. I use /tell for my primary means of communication.

Wow, did I use enough punctuation there?

SUDO MAKE ME A SAMMICH ><

gloam
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I have about a dozen or so /ooc regulars on /ignore. For me, its works out pretty well. I spend about 5 seconds typing /ignore "name", and my chat isnt crazy spam city. That saves me from having to take 15 minutes posting here bitching about how people should play the game the way I want them to.

navierstokes12
02-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Could care less about what people say in /ooc chat.
So long as they aren't larp spamming walls of text in 2 second intervals, then logging onto a level 1 alt to do the same thing.

celicara29
02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
It's not that people want to chat about out of game topics. It's that people Troll for attention, and get it... from other Trolls, and this makes /ooc unusable to anyone except the Trollers and Flamers. I dont care if you want to talk about your neighbors bad breath, or how far up your ass your panties ride. I just get tired of the obvious spamming of ignorant crap that that is intended to do nothing more then disrupt the channel. Once the the channel turns into a white noise of whos smoking what, why <insert political figure here> is the worst ever, why your religion is better than others and god doesnt love anyone but you... It starts to effect all those that don't want to be a part of the circle jerk. Sure, we can turn it off, Ive done it many times, but that takes a part of the game that is intended for honest discussion of in/out of game issues and makes it only usable by those taking part in the bull shit.

It's not about talking to others about whatever you want. Its about disrupting the channel for the sake of disrupting the channel, then telling everyone else they need to alter their game to accomodate you.

I'm sorry that a majority of the people that chat in /ooc don't want to talk about exactly what you'd prefer them to talk about.

You like to pretend that the chat in /ooc is ruining your game experience because it's not all centered around "in/out of game issues", then you join a cacophony of whiny voices clamoring for /ooc to be heavily regulated down to a dry and boring question of "how do I get out of the pool in front of that cb belt dude's house" followed by 10 people rushing to type "go into first person and look up", then minutes of channel silence until someone else has a simple question or complaint about the game.

If we had a separate channel for bullshit chat serverwide, we'd use it to bullshit. But as it stands, the only way for a bored soloer to shoot the shit with 5 other bored soloers across the server is in /ooc. So why don't you use your bitchy voice to offer a fair solution instead of voting for the only real serverwide discussion channel to be regulated.

Just remember the next time something in /ooc offends or bothers you, 99% of the time it's your fault, and you should probably consider why that is instead of complaining about it and hoping someone shuts them up.

Waedawen
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry that a majority of the people that chat in /ooc don't want to talk about exactly what you'd prefer them to talk about.

You like to pretend that the chat in /ooc is ruining your game experience because it's not all centered around "in/out of game issues", then you join a cacophony of whiny voices clamoring for /ooc to be heavily regulated down to a dry and boring question of "how do I get out of the pool in front of that cb belt dude's house" followed by 10 people rushing to type "go into first person and look up", then minutes of channel silence until someone else has a simple question or complaint about the game.

If we had a separate channel for bullshit chat serverwide, we'd use it to bullshit. But as it stands, the only way for a bored soloer to shoot the shit with 5 other bored soloers across the server is in /ooc. So why don't you use your bitchy voice to offer a fair solution instead of voting for the only real serverwide discussion channel to be regulated.

Just remember the next time something in /ooc offends or bothers you, 99% of the time it's your fault, and you should probably consider why that is instead of complaining about it and hoping someone shuts them up.

+1.

Build a bridge and get over it, it's only a chat window. Ignore who you want. God forbid you move ooc to another window. God forbid you have to hear someone about smoking their doobie. God forbid your child playing the game figures out for themselves what things in the world are because they are in a circle of adults. God forbid you blame those adults for having conversations about things out of character.

God forbid you grow up.

**Oh and rate limiting is the worst idea possible, imo.

Azenn
03-05-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm convinced doing drugs is like owning a Mac. Half the fun is apparently letting others know about it.

Where would they be without the OOC channel?

celicara29
03-05-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm convinced doing drugs is like owning a Mac. Half the fun is apparently letting others know about it.

Where would they be without the OOC channel?

Drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs drugs.

Would you mind just shutting the fuck up about your prejudices against a word that can damn near be applied to anything enjoyable?

It's so hilarious to watch you cry about people chatting about drugs while playing a game that is a drug in and of itself. How would you like it for someone to tell you to take your chat elsewhere when you're bragging about loot or talking about how awesome your chosen class is?

Apparently, half the fun in Everquest is talking about Everquest. Moron.

xblade724
03-08-2010, 04:38 AM
Are you serious about this poll? I'd like to make a poll to ban dumb polls like this.

THERE'S A /IGNORE TOOL! USE IT!

cassaruby
03-08-2010, 05:56 PM
my only problem w/ /ooc is it's negativity, it can be a huge turn off. sometimes it's more stress than fun.

/b/ + eq = :/