PDA

View Full Version : Class for a static group

serjordanmormont
08-02-2019, 09:34 PM
A few of my friends are rolling alts to level up together. One is a cleric, one a ranger and the other is debating a rogue or paladin.

I've narrowed my options down to warrior, monk, magician or wizard. Any suggestions on which would work best?

fortior
08-02-2019, 09:47 PM
ranger can pull and tank, you have heals locked down, go magician

Asher
08-02-2019, 11:15 PM
A few of my friends are rolling alts to level up together. One is a cleric, one a ranger and the other is debating a rogue or paladin.

I've narrowed my options down to warrior, monk, magician or wizard. Any suggestions on which would work best?

Wizard is awful in a group. You'd probably be best rolling a mage.

Halfcell
08-02-2019, 11:42 PM

None of the above. With that group roll an enchanter, unless your main is an enchnater. If that's the case roll a shaman.

If you absolutely must pick one of the 4 you listed, do not roll a wiz, they are not a great grouping class. Don't roll a mage because they are an even worse xp parasite than wizards are. Warrior or monk are both good, and bot sort of covered by what the ranger can do. If your characters are all well twinkled and you stick to zones the ranger can harmony in, either the monk or the warrior can be pretty unnecessary.

The trick to rolling a great static groups is being sure you have all your bases covered so you can go to out of the way places and do cool stuff. You will need a slower for most of that.

Fifield
08-03-2019, 12:40 AM
Don't roll a mage because they are an even worse xp parasite than wizards are

wrong

aaezil
08-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Halfcell as in half a brain cell? Most of that advice is dead wrong or mostly misinformed

Thermite
08-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Mage is actually a really fun class to play specially if you have a static group to jam with. Solid pet dps, nukes, can summon so useful items and lot forget you can bring that alawys loved DS. Later on you can coth folks.

Warrior is great class but if you don't plan to raid kinds useless even though it is what I personally have alawys played lol.

Monks are just nasty all around. Nuff said.

Wizards get tons of hate, but very useful they are just not as good in this Era as later on. Tls, ports, massive nukes and if got forbid things get bad you can Flux staff mobs for agro, and kite them and save the day.

But the biggest thing in eq is play something your gonna enjoy. No point is wasting time on a class that doesn't call to you aka make you enjoy game play.

kjs86z
08-03-2019, 12:39 PM
If you have to play one of the 4 you listed, its mage all the way.

A cleric healing a ranger (let's just assume your friend goes rogue over paladin) w/ no slows or clarity is going to be....humbling.

If you want a well-rounded 4 man static, one of you really ought to play a bard / enc / shaman to go w/ that cleric. The other two classes can be basically anything and it will work. Slow is just too good to ignore.

Halfcell
08-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Halfcell as in half a brain cell? Most of that advice is dead wrong or mostly misinformed

Witty.

Almost all of my advice was opinion, for sure. The one thing that is not opinion is my comment on mages. A mage brings nothing to your group, except if this guy rolls a static group with no slower then the DS might be of marginal use. There is a reason every mage eventually becomes a coth bot or a mod rod factory. I am not saying mages aren't fun, they are, but they bring nothing to the listed static group except mediocre DPS and an extra person to split xp with. At least the wiz could port everyone around and eventually evac out.

Again, my intent was not to slam the listed classes, all of them are fun and in the right situations extremely useful, but for the listed static group all 4 have the potential of being superfluous. The monk and the warrior are probably the best bet, but if the OP really wants a great group bard, shaman, or enchanter are the missing piece.

On the positive side those are also 3 of the most fun classes in the game to play.

Weidar
08-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Monk if you want to slam things, enchanter or shaman if you wanna be even more helpfull!

Indecisive
08-04-2019, 11:02 AM
If you plan on doing a lot of dungeon diving, I think wizard brings a lot of value. Wizards can really save the day in a bad dungeon pull, being able to either burn things down in a pinch, or whisk the group away to safety. This provides you with a little extra security to go explore and take on some dungeons most people avoid like Dalnir, Kaesora, etc.

General ports aren't as big of a bonus because of the obscene amount of druids on the server. But it's convenient, and will save you a not-insignificant amount of money in the long run, particularly if you have to hop around a few times to find a good open camp.

You're still better off with an enchanter or a bard, to be fair. But there's a lot of enchanters on the server, so you shouldn't have any trouble plugging that hole by picking up an extra member each session, literally and figuratively.

serjordanmormont
08-05-2019, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. A couple bits of new info:

1. Another person is joining us and she is an enchanter
2. The person debating rogue vs. Pally has decided on rogue
3. I don’t 100% need to be one of those 4 classes I listed. I’m open to other suggestions.

fortior
08-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. A couple bits of new info:

3. I don’t 100% need to be one of those 4 classes I listed. I’m open to other suggestions.

Druid. Before people laugh at me:
- Regen buff is great for downtime, good spot heals
- Ench takes care of slows already
- A static without a porting class loses a lot of maneuverability
- Wolf form for faction woes
- Can charm animals (actually relevant up to end game)

Indecisive
08-05-2019, 08:48 AM
You might want to consider a necro as a dark horse candidate, too. They're criminally underappreciated as a group class, but are a real asset if played right. Free pet DPS (not great, not terrible) unless charmed (super great), ghetto CC and heals, twitch for the cleric or enchanter, FD for wipes (and rez, so you can get the cleric up and ready to rez the rest). They've got an answer for almost everything, but because they can solo so well, nobody really thinks about them for groups.

And they're really fun to play, in my opinion anyways. Just my two cents.

kjs86z
08-05-2019, 10:27 AM
So you've got enchanter, cleric, ranger, and a rogue?

You can now play whatever you want. It doesn't matter anymore.

Necro would be a great addition to this comp though if you've never played one before. When your static group inevitably falls apart you can also keep going solo or duo/trio with the enchanter and/or cleric.

theonesler
08-05-2019, 11:02 AM

I agree with this statement. Cleric/ench will bring a lot of stability to the group and will be able to more or less sustain heals vs mana, especially with slows. If your enchanter is real competent, charmed pets add mega DPS.

So, play what sounds fun to you. Wanna tank, go warrior. Wanna just smack things with more lazy DPS, go monk or another rogue. Wanna try out a caster, go mage, necro, or druid. Wanna keep your fingers busy? Go bard. You pick!

Halfcell
08-05-2019, 11:37 AM

This.

That said I would maybe go warrior. It was on your original list and of all tanks warriors are by far the highest dps. At low levels you can even have the ranger tank, since he will be able to snap agro a bit better, and just DPS, and then later when stuff starts hitting really hard you have the best meat shield in the game.

hagglebaby
08-05-2019, 03:55 PM
You might want to consider a necro as a dark horse candidate, too. They're criminally underappreciated as a group class, but are a real asset if played right. Free pet DPS (not great, not terrible) unless charmed (super great), ghetto CC and heals, twitch for the cleric or enchanter, FD for wipes (and rez, so you can get the cleric up and ready to rez the rest). They've got an answer for almost everything, but because they can solo so well, nobody really thinks about them for groups.

And they're really fun to play, in my opinion anyways. Just my two cents.

This.

Also if the static group falls apart you can easily solo or group to 60. Also a good farming class. Also a good class to roll if you don’t have a lot of pp for twinking.

Raev
08-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Halfcell is totally right; there are very few effective group combinations without at least one Enchanter, Bard, or Shaman.

So this leaves you with CLR/ENC/RNG/ROG, which is a fantastic combination to the point that you can play just about anything. The most obvious need is a tank, and I'd go for a Knight: you have clarity to cast plenty of spells, and a Warrior will have a hard time tanking over a Ranger (no Jolt until 51), Rogue (hide is quite unreliable leveling up), or Enchanter (tash+slow is a lot of threat on short fights with <45 NPCs). SK can split tough camps with Feign Death, while a Paladin gives you more CC and durability. Verdict: if you trust your Enchanter, I'd go Paladin. Fighting 3-4 at once sounds like a lot of fun. If not, then Shadow Knight.

gildor
08-05-2019, 05:21 PM
monk or necro ..necro brings a ton of group utility as stated previously, monk brings things dead faster, pulls, and tankability when the ranger eventually dies..

Stroboo
08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
For that grp Warrior of Druid for sure. Druids are super fun in friend grps for ports and buffs and make very good outdoor pullers in places like CoM and KC etc., pets in lots of dungeons. Warrior is really good at warrior stuff which would add to the grp as well, would also allow ranger to pull which means chain pulls at times

Necro would be totally fun in that grp too for sure though.

Orionsaight
08-06-2019, 12:24 AM
I agree with necro. I know people think necro is bad for groups but that just may be when ur grouped with low level twinked melee. I think one of the best strats for a new group on a new server (or a new group on an old server) would be; at least to have either mage or necro in group for guaranteed dps.